Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2017, 02:31 PM   #1

Question VM26 30mm / TT250 buying guide

Hi all,

I'm looking at carb options (large temp range here, and the bike's lean as hell at the moment) and the VM26 seems to be popular with the Hawk owners, I'm making an assumption that the fit is similar for the TT250?

Anyway, there's clearly two different tiers available, the $80-100 dollar ones which I'm guessing are genuine Mikuni, and the $30-40 ones which are probably replicas.

Are the cheaper ones worth getting?

Old 02-04-2017, 02:38 PM   #2

The cheapo ones will usually bolt right on the stock "intake" (before and after the carb)... some don't like these because of the "butterfly choke restriction"...

The more expensive ones that don't have the "butterfly choke restriction" won't bolt right up... you will have to either modify the stock "intake" system for it to work

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullybiker View Post
Hi all,

I'm looking at carb options (large temp range here, and the bike's lean as hell at the moment) and the VM26 seems to be popular with the Hawk owners, I'm making an assumption that the fit is similar for the TT250?

Anyway, there's clearly two different tiers available, the $80-100 dollar ones which I'm guessing are genuine Mikuni, and the $30-40 ones which are probably replicas.

Are the cheaper ones worth getting?
I put a VM 26 (30) on Mrs. 2LZ TT250 when I did that build and it rocks. Like any CG motor, it bolted right on. They also come very lean with a 100/20 setup for jetting. You'll need to fatten it up to your elevation.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-04-2017, 11:41 PM   #4

Thanks, I ordered the cheaper version (it looks like only the cheaper one has the 48mm flange fit) and a set of jets.

My bike's been running really nicely, but the plug is pretty dry looking and when it's below zero out the bike's idling slightly faster once it's warm, I believe that's a good tell for a lean motor.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Thanks, I ordered the cheaper version (it looks like only the cheaper one has the 48mm flange fit) and a set of jets.

My bike's been running really nicely, but the plug is pretty dry looking and when it's below zero out the bike's idling slightly faster once it's warm, I believe that's a good tell for a lean motor.
This is the one I put on my X-Moto, Rhino and the TT250 (all my 200cc+ CG motors). "Currently unavailable"...but that's just Amazon. It fit the intake manifold and the air cleaner tubes....but I changed to pod filters just because it's my preference.
I jetted them at either 115/30 or a 12.5/25....depending on aftermarket pipe and pod filter.
Set the slide clip at the 4th notch down too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 02-05-2017, 09:31 AM   #6

The El Cheapo one worked great on my hawk. Honestly if you are chasing pure performance of a non butterfly carb, you should have bought a WR250.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
The El Cheapo one worked great on my hawk. Honestly if you are chasing pure performance of a non butterfly carb, you should have bought a WR250.
Not only that but we aren't discussing a Super Duke. We're playing with an Old World, pushrod, old tech motor that's built for longevity and torque for a very small displacement. That's part of the fun of being a China Rider. "What's the best results for dirt cheap?"

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 02-05-2017, 12:39 PM   #8

I have a stupid question: main jet kits for the cheapo carb are fairly easy to find, as they use exactly the same description on ebay as the carbs themselves, but I'm less sure about the pilot jets.

The reason I ask is that the OEM Mikuni fit at least for the main jet appears to be different - I've been using this page for reference:
http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_car..._selection.htm

Old 02-05-2017, 02:06 PM   #9

Quote:

Below zero? you sir are my hero.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:50 PM   #10

Quote:
I commute about 15 miles, and as long as it's dry I'll try to use the bike. I can cope pretty well down to about 20F, below which my feet start hurting...

Old 02-05-2017, 06:21 PM   #11

My commute it 9 miles. My record low for a commute is 12*. If the roads are clear and there's no precip expected during the day, I'm out there. Heavy liner in the jacket, quilted over pants, heated gloves, balaclava and neck gaiter. My main issue isn't the cold, it's keeping the visor clear. It fogs up then freezes quickly if I don't crack it open periodically. My coworkers think I'm nuts (I don't necessarily disagree)!

Back on topic, I have the cheapie mikuni on the TT. I run the stock jetting at 100/20 but I'm also at ~6,000 feet.

Rojo

Last edited by rojo_grande; 02-05-2017 at 06:27 PM. Reason: additions

Old 02-05-2017, 07:12 PM   #12

Quote:
I should clarify: I mean Celcius. Some British habits die hard

Old 02-05-2017, 07:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojo_grande View Post
My commute it 9 miles. My record low for a commute is 12*. If the roads are clear and there's no precip expected during the day, I'm out there. Heavy liner in the jacket, quilted over pants, heated gloves, balaclava and neck gaiter. My main issue isn't the cold, it's keeping the visor clear. It fogs up then freezes quickly if I don't crack it open periodically. My coworkers think I'm nuts (I don't necessarily disagree)!

Back on topic, I have the cheapie mikuni on the TT. I run the stock jetting at 100/20 but I'm also at ~6,000 feet.

Rojo
Have you tried a pinlock insert? I used to have a lot of trouble with fogging (especially in the rain, and if there's one thing Western PA does, it's endless bloody rain) and the pinlock is very good at keeping the visor clear.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:02 AM   #14

You guys are brutal. I did the "rain, fog and freezing temps" much of my younger days. Now???? I do almost 170 a day, round trip. Anything below 65' and I'm in the Jeep.

The pilot jets from jets r us are listed here in multiple places, including my Rhino thread in the ATV section. Unfortunately, for some odd reason, China Riders is acting very weird on my daytime PC and I'm not able to search since later last week. Anyone else experiencing issues????

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 02-06-2017, 12:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
You guys are brutal. I did the "rain, fog and freezing temps" much of my younger days. Now???? I do almost 170 a day, round trip. Anything below 65' and I'm in the Jeep.

The pilot jets from jets r us are listed here in multiple places, including my Rhino thread in the ATV section. Unfortunately, for some odd reason, China Riders is acting very weird on my daytime PC and I'm not able to search since later last week. Anyone else experiencing issues????
I actually found your links for jets'r'us; I've got mains on order already, I'll leave the pilot for now unless I find I need one.

Tags
carburetor, mikuni, tt250, vm26