Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2016, 01:51 PM   #1

Apollo 125cc oil leak - need advice

Hello,

Brand new Apollo Orion 125cc dirt bike - fired it up for engine break in yesterday, then son rode it for 3 or 4 hours in the afternoon. Today, there's an oil leak on left side of bike - I can't tell if it's from gear shifter or front sprocket. I obviously need to get down on the floor and figure out exactly what it is, but I figured I'd post on here and see if it's a common problem because once I locate where it is, I'll need to go track down directions to get it straighten it out. Any help that any of you can point me at will be a great help. Thanks.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:12 PM   #2

Did you check the oil level to make sure its not overfilled? In fact I would just go ahead and drain the oil empty and then make sure you fill it to the correct amount. Find the specifications for the engine on the amount of oil. Don't put your trust into the dipstick until you get the issue figured out. If the oil is overfilled it will come up out of the crankcase vent tube.

/

Old 04-17-2016, 03:16 PM   #3

I can't recall the exact amount but I know on my 125cc Honda horizontal clone the correct amount of oil is just slightly less than 1 quart.

/

Old 04-17-2016, 04:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
I can't recall the exact amount but I know on my 125cc Honda horizontal clone the correct amount of oil is just slightly less than 1 quart.

/
OK so the white smoke should have been a brain dead give away the first time LOL. I'll chock it up to not having a bike of my own since I was my son's age. I pulled the flywheel case and had to push the little gasket seal back in - I suspect oil pressure pushed it out. I let the bike sit for quite a while to cool and let the oil settle - according to the stick it was low so I added very little, let it sit. Stick showed just about right but that ended up still being too much. You're right: don't trust the dipstick.

Old 04-17-2016, 05:39 PM   #5

You will have a lot of fun with your son tinkering and fine tuning these simple engines. Also you need to make sure you use the correct oil with no friction modifiers etc. because of the wet clutch. Or you can just purchase specific motorcycle wet clutch oil. Its a little more expensive than automotive oil. Lots of info on this here in the forums.

/

Old 04-26-2016, 09:49 PM   #6

Thanks a lot - yes it's definitely going to be a great way to get dirty and have an excuse to get the tools out with the young buck. I put in 10w30, the cheesy 'manual' that came with the bike from the factory mentions 15w30. Not sure about that one. I don't mind changing oil often but man it seems to be a real pain to drain this thing. I'll let it sit and sit and sit and then I'll come back out 20 minutes later, rock the bike forward and backward and get another glob out. Man.

On the upside, I really like having easy access to mess with valve clearance - that's great.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:59 AM   #7

I recommend that you dump that oil and choose a "40". I like 15W40, and I use Rotella from Walmart.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-09-2016, 11:27 PM   #8

Thanks - advice taken - Rotella 15w40 it is from now on