Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2015, 12:03 AM   #1

Picking up the pair of Hawks tomorrow, Question for the veterans..........

They are on the dock waiting but didn't have time Friday. Have some questions and i will list them out.

#1, How far is everyone breaking down the bike to Locktite? Blue or red?

#2, Proper valve adjustment? Will be pulling the valve cover as one of the 1st things i do, Can i use the standard for small engines of 7 thousandths on the intake and 11 on the exhaust?

#3, 15W40 for 1st change or 5w40 since it's tight? Will be using high detergent diesel oil either way.

#4, Should i change the brake fluid?

#5, Spoke torque, I assume it's a good idea to check spoke torque on the wheels? What size are the spoke nuts? (need to find my spoke torque set)

#6, Tire pressure? 26# front and rear?

#7, What is the series of the batter in the hawk? Going to pick up an Odyssey AGM battery for them.

#8, 3,000' Elevation here, What should i do with the carbs until i order some Mikuni knockoffs for them?

I think that is all for now. Been a mechanic on tractors, trucks and heavy equipment for years but have only wrenched on ATV's and Snowmobiles, Not bikes so i want ot make sure all my ducks are in a row. Thanks!!!

Last edited by mjstef; 09-23-2015 at 12:15 AM.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:13 AM   #2

I use 15W/40 engine oil in all my motorcycles, with excellent results.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-21-2015, 08:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
They are on the dock waiting but didn't have time Friday. Have some questions and i will list them out.

#1, How far is everyone breaking down the bike to Locktite? Blue or red?

#2, Proper valve adjustment? Will be pulling the valve cover as one of the 1st things i do, Can i use the standard for small engines of 7 thousandths on the intake and 11 on the exhaust?

#3, 15W40 for 1st change or 5w40 since it's tight? Will be using high detergent diesel oil either way.

#4, Should i change the brake fluid?

#5, Spoke torque, I assume it's a good idea to check spoke torque on the wheels? What size are the spoke nuts? (need to find my spoke torque set)

#6, Tire pressure? 26# front and rear?

#7, What is the series of the batter in the hawk? Going to pick up an Odyssey AGM battery for them.

#8, 3,000' Elevation here, What should i do with the carbs until i order some Mikuni knockoffs for them?

I think that is all for now. Been a mechanic on tractors, trucks and heavy equipment for years but have only wrenche6. d on ATV's and Snowmobiles, Not bikes so i want ot make sure all my ducks are in a row. Thanks!!!
1. Personal preference w/ the loctite....I'm embarrassed to admit I haven't used any, lost one bolt. Proper torque is also ver important IMO.
2. I haven't looked at the valves yet at 600 miles, they sound good???
3. I changed the oil to 15/40 after 5-10 miles.
4. I haven't changed the brake fluid.
5. Spokes seem fine on my bike.
6. I believe there is a tire pressure sticker on the bike....can't recall specifics.
7. Stock battery on mine is working fine, sorry don't know series #
8. I ordered a new mikuni for $40, and purchased jets for another $10-12. In hindsight, I would suggest attempting to rejet the stock carb. The carb bowl is held on w/ tamper proof screws, but shouldn't be too hard to extract or drill them out...I followed Weld's advice on here regarding jetting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifemx5 View Post
Mine is operating at 6000 ft elevation, but I opened the air box, changed the to a foam filter and opened up the exhaust. I did a 30 primary and 115 main with the needle clip in the center position this worked great for me. If the intake and exhaust are staying stock I would say the these jet sizes would be a good starting point. If mods are in the future you may want to go a bit richer on them. (Up in size number) i ordered all my jets from jetsrus.com
I believe I used 30 / 115 jets as well and the bike is doing well at sea level. I would suggest changing the stock gearing of 15/50 to 17/50. New front sprockets are only $10 shipped on ebay...

Last edited by wilserchinarider; 09-21-2015 at 10:46 AM.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:49 PM   #4

A Hawk is the same as a Q? I thought they were Honda clones, not Suzuki. If they are in fact Suzuki clones, the carb that came with the Q was reported to be excellent.

I like blue Loctite #242, and Spud uses red #262. It's a matter of preference. I've never lost anything that was secured with blue, and I can always remove it with hand tools.

I'm with Spud on 15W40 (usually Rotella for me, because it's usually on sale). I'd use it from the beginning.

The rest of the answers will depend on the Q status.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-21-2015, 01:00 PM   #5

Smells like harbor freight on my trailer lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150921_105248.jpg (95.7 KB, 183 views)

Old 09-21-2015, 01:29 PM   #6

Congratulations! We eagerly anticipate more photographs of the assembly.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-21-2015, 01:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Smells like harbor freight on my trailer lol
Love that smell!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-21-2015, 01:50 PM   #8

Yes, that's a great 2'fer $2400 deal. Or, 1 bike for $1200 and another $1200 for a lifetime supply of spare parts

ps the wheel hub for the speedometer cable is in a small cardboard box, I'll give you a hint since that was one of the first things I couldn't find.

pss assembling the handle bars is pretty easy, just watch the routing of the cables and wires....I had to redo mine once or twice to get it "just right".

psss the sheet metal shipping clamp at the bottom of the rear wheel secures very well....I think I recall coaxing it open with a crow bar after the norwegian steam effort failed.

pssss The two side plastics adjacent to the muffler will likely not align with each other, as one fastens to the muffler, and the other to the frame, I sacrificed a tab on the inside of the upper plastic with a razor knife.

psssss The funny looking 18" steel rod secures the tank plastics at the front.

pssssss The leftover hardware is the rear brake linkage

psssssss Two springs, one for the kick stand, the other for the rear brake. After struggling for a minute with the strong springs, I came up with a stellar install trick. Take a length of 1/8" cord, loop it over the bottom hook of the spring with the top hook connected to the bike, wrap the free ends around your hand a couple of times, then step on the cord to stretch the spring and swing it into position with your free hand...10 second job just a matter of having the right tools hahaha

Congratulations and enjoy the assembly....from the looks of your hauling and rigging equipment, you should have no trouble....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
A Hawk is the same as a Q? I thought they were Honda clones, not Suzuki. If they are in fact Suzuki clones, the carb that came with the Q was reported to be excellent. The rest of the answers will depend on the Q status.
Who said anything about a Q? Did you get your coffee this morning Weld? j/k

Last edited by wilserchinarider; 09-21-2015 at 08:14 PM.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:58 PM   #9

Thank god for my tractor! These buggers are heavy together! Could not even slide them on my trailer.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150921_161645.jpg (96.8 KB, 183 views)

Old 09-21-2015, 11:07 PM   #10

This is as far as i get for now. Not sure i will get them together before the snow flies. Just had to get the serial #'s for the titles. I am a general contractor and i am SLAMMED right now. Booked out for at least a month and working 80+ hours a week. I JUST got home at 8:30 tonight and have been starting at 7 every day. Finished up installing 15 10x12 overhead garage doors in a storage pole barn today and have a large rehab to start Wednesday along with a couple dozen sprinklers to blow out and a bunch of summer houses to winterize. I like the $$$$ but hate this time of year!!!!!

FWIW, I HIGHLY recommend these guys as the whole process so far has been PAINLESS!!! Don was willing to stay after work for 45 minutes answering my questions Ect. Great folks!!! http://www.apscusa.com/New-2015-CCA-...ACK_p_492.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150921_203845.jpg (92.8 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg 20150921_203853.jpg (92.3 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg 20150921_203917.jpg (91.2 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg 20150921_203924.jpg (93.7 KB, 179 views)

Old 09-22-2015, 08:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Not sure i will get them together before the snow flies. i am SLAMMED right now.

Take your time, China bikes make a good hobby, deal with them on your time when your not rushed, I find that to be much more enjoyable. Have fun and enjoy!

Old 09-22-2015, 12:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserchinarider View Post
Who said anything about a Q? Did you get your coffee this morning Weld? j/k
It's in the title of the thread: "Picking up the pair of Hawks tomorrow, Q for the veterans.........."

Old 09-22-2015, 12:16 PM   #13

Maybe he meant questions for the veterans. I automatically thought of Q-Link bikes, which we all referred to as Q's.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:21 PM   #14

A lot of these abbreviations confuse me. It is much easier for me to understand if people write whole words, whole sentences, and use punctuation.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 09-22-2015, 12:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Love that smell!
We need to get that on one of those pine tree air fresheners.