Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2010, 05:23 PM   #1

FastDoc's New Kawasaki ATV

Its a nice machine.

I was slmost ready to go new Chinese but I finally found a good ATV locally after much searching.

It's a 2006 Kawasaki Bayou 250. 2WD, shaft drive, 5 speed manual plus reverse.

How'd I do for 1,500? :?:

I just went through it, changed the oil in the engine and the axle, the spark plug, cleaned the air filter, checked the tires, and gave it a good bath and greasing. It really runs perfect, and while it does not look brand new, its close. Hardly a scratch or a scrape anywhere on it, including the bottom. I installed the electrical hookups for my gloves and vest and I'm good to go!

BTW, I'll place this post in the Other forum too for posterity...

Old 01-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #2

Looks real nice, good buy.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:45 PM   #3

Beautiful machine, I have no doubt it will serve you very well. I think you got a heck of a deal and for not much more money than the china quads.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
Beautiful machine, I have no doubt it will serve you very well. I think you got a heck of a deal and for not much more money than the china quads.
That's what I was thinking. I bet if I take care of it I can ride it for years and sell it for what I paid if I needed to.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:29 AM   #5

Yup same exact one I rode, Nice quads to play around on. You'll love it.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:20 AM   #6

Good score! Shaft drive and a hitch mount is nice too. I recommend that you check the toe-in; it looks like it could benefit from an adjustment.

Any plans of hauling it to BC for a Chinariders ride?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-25-2010, 11:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Good score! Shaft drive and a hitch mount is nice too. I recommend that you check the toe-in; it looks like it could benefit from an adjustment.

Any plans of hauling it to BC for a Chinariders ride?
I got that impression too. I note though that if someone is sitting on it the wheels look perpendicular to the ground. How do I adjust it? I've been unable to locate an online manual, might buy one off Amazon.com in print format.

Yes, I have a plan.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:11 PM   #8

The adjustment is accomplished by loosening and turning the tie-rod ends until toe-in is around 1/8" to 1/4" with the rider onboard. It's best to find a fixed reference point on the frame, in front and behind the tires, so that you can be sure the tires are pointed inward the same amount. Since they won't be parallel, you can't measure from tire to tire to determine equal angles, but you can measure tire to tire to determine overall toe-in. Make sense?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
The adjustment is accomplished by loosening and turning the tie-rod ends until toe-in is around 1/8" to 1/4" with the rider onboard. It's best to find a fixed reference point on the frame, in front and behind the tires, so that you can be sure the tires are pointed inward the same amount. Since they won't be parallel, you can't measure from tire to tire to determine equal angles, but you can measure tire to tire to determine overall toe-in. Make sense?
Yup! Thanks! I'll look on Amazon for a manual...

I have been unable to figure out how to change and measure the rear axle fluid level also. I did find out it uses a pint of 80/90 which I've purchaced.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #10

Your new manual (when you find one) will likely recommend a pre-measured amount. Is there no apparent drain plug at the bottom?

Old 01-25-2010, 03:42 PM   #11

There is, and there is a filler, but I don't know if its suppossed to be filled all the way. The little I've gleaned off the net seems to indicate its filled to some intermediate level.

The Kawasaki ATV forums I've looked at don't hold a candle to ours .

'Little' machines like mine all all but ignored. I had no idea there were 750cc V Twin quads, much less that they are so popular.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:49 PM   #12

Is the fill plug at the top or at some mid-point? If it's at a mid point, remove it and see if there is oil at that level. If there is, it's likely similar to any RWD car or truck, in that you add until it won't take anymore. If the fill plug is at the top, it will likely be a pre-measured amount.

BTW, are you sure that it calls for 80W90?

Old 01-25-2010, 04:37 PM   #13

The plug is at the top, or almost at the top. There is a screw halfway down. I think you remove the screw and fill it from the top until the oil comes out the screw hole, but I'm not sure on the reliabilty of the information.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:53 PM   #14

Yeah, I'm the internet master, lol, Here's a link for you to download the 2005 manual and it's not just the users manual but the full blown service manual, yeah it looks like the wrong language on the webpage but i checked the .pdf download and it's english. Enjoy....

http://www.manualedereparatie.info/d...reparatie.html

Just click on " Download" under the 3 pictures

Old 01-25-2010, 05:31 PM   #15

Wayne, you are my hero!