Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2018, 04:01 PM   #1

Battery

I got my son a 110cc coolster pit bike and it seems the battery always needs to be charged is this normal? it starts fine but if he rides it for 45min or so and shuts it off, the battery is dead. Suggestions? Thanks

Old 01-28-2018, 06:20 PM   #2

Welcome psey. Put a meter on the battery while it's running to see what voltage you are getting. It should be around 14v. If not, something's wrong with the charging system. I've found that it's usually the rectifier/regulator. If you are getting the correct voltage then it's probably the battery. You didn't say if it's new or not but sometimes that doesn't matter as the vehicle often sits for a while before it's sold.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 03-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by david3921 View Post
Welcome psey. Put a meter on the battery while it's running to see what voltage you are getting. It should be around 14v. If not, something's wrong with the charging system. I've found that it's usually the rectifier/regulator. If you are getting the correct voltage then it's probably the battery. You didn't say if it's new or not but sometimes that doesn't matter as the vehicle often sits for a while before it's sold.

I have not put a meter on it, but have used a new battery and the same thing happens. Should just be the regulator.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:59 AM   #4

Welcome!

I'll add to David's comments that the stock batteries are generally quite poor. I've had good luck with the Walmart AGM batteries.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-31-2018, 03:18 PM   #5

Thanks, Ill do that and let you know. I do have a feeling it may be the charging system. When we first got the bike I hooked it up and something started smoking. Than I realized like a asshole I cross wired the batterie (i.e. neg on pos) but after I switched it the bike started and has worked fine ever since. The piece that started smoking is attached to the wiring harness. It may be what charges it i'm not sure. Its my first pit bike.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:08 AM   #6

Please show us a pic of the device you speak of. I'm betting it's the regulator. BTW, you're in good company around here; several of us have done stuff like that.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-06-2018, 08:36 PM   #7

Ok good, glad I’m not the only one haha. Anyway here is a pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24C5BE16-1817-4F6C-9304-8A384A19CC64.jpg (8.0 KB, 140 views)

Old 02-07-2018, 10:58 AM   #8

That's definitely a regulator. Buy a new one and see if that solves the problem. It may also be referred to as a reg/rec or regulator/rectifier on eBay. Make sure it's identical.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:01 PM   #9

Ok thanks! I’ll grab one and see how it goes.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:34 PM   #10

So I called and told them what I needed. They procedded to send me a new starter and ground wire. All I need is the voltage regulator. Sent a e-mail so hopefully a new one will be on its way soon. Not sure why they sent a starter. bike starts fine just won't restart after shut off. Battery dies.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:00 PM   #11

It was definitely the regulator, I had power sports send me a new one (free) and I swapped it out. haven't had to charge the battery in over two weeks and fires up ever time. Thanks!

Old 04-03-2018, 10:29 AM   #12

Glad to hear that's resolved.