Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2017, 10:04 AM   #1

Hawk in the CO mountains?

Will the Hawk be able to handle a few days trip to ride around the San Juan mountain area in Colorado?

I would like to be able to run around the Ouray, Telluride, Silverton area on the Alpine Loop to the old mines and a few of the famous passes like Ophir and Imogene.
The lowest elevation would be ~7000 and the highest ~13000 for short bursts. I understand it will lose about 30% power at altitude and I will have to lean it out to keep it running decent but I'm really wondering if the power loss might be so great that it just wont pull over some of the passes or that since its air-cooled only that I might have some serious overheating issues.

What do you folks with experience here have to say?

Old 06-13-2017, 10:12 AM   #2

Yes. You will need to break it in properly and keep the oil changed every 500 miles. Some go to 1000 miles. 15W-40 Rotella T diesel oil will be your friend. 20w-50 will also work but may be a little hard on the starter when cold.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:15 AM   #3

I installed an oil cooler for those rides. It should do fine. I live at over 8500 feet and ride over 10,000 all the time with no problems. If your jetted right youll have a blast just be careful on those passes.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:42 AM   #4

Wonderful! Bless you both for the responses. I really wasn't expecting to hear good news on this question so that makes me very happy. I already use Rotella 15/40 and maintenance is a big deal to me so I'm not worried about that aspect. It will have all the "normal" mods done and carb tuned etc.

Merlin, do you consider the oil cooler a MUST then, or just better protection? I live at ~1000 feet and have never been to elevations like yours before so I don't know what to expect. Do you think simply leaning the mixture will be enough or should I rejet and retune once I arrive in town?
I guess I should just plainly ask....What size primary and main jets do you run in yours?

Old 06-13-2017, 12:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2jmpr View Post
Wonderful! Bless you both for the responses. I really wasn't expecting to hear good news on this question so that makes me very happy. I already use Rotella 15/40 and maintenance is a big deal to me so I'm not worried about that aspect. It will have all the "normal" mods done and carb tuned etc.

Merlin, do you consider the oil cooler a MUST then, or just better protection? I live at ~1000 feet and have never been to elevations like yours before so I don't know what to expect. Do you think simply leaning the mixture will be enough or should I rejet and retune once I arrive in town?
I guess I should just plainly ask....What size primary and main jets do you run in yours?
If you take it a little easy the oil cooler is not a must. Some folks from those elevvations can have a bit of a problem at these elevations (some get headaches) so take it easy yourself until you get acclimated to the hi elevation.
You'll need to re-jet. I run a 95 main and haven't had to change out anything else.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
If you take it a little easy the oil cooler is not a must. Some folks from those elevvations can have a bit of a problem at these elevations (some get headaches) so take it easy yourself until you get acclimated to the hi elevation.
You'll need to re-jet. I run a 95 main and haven't had to change out anything else.

Great. Thanks again. I'll just take a couple 95-100 jets with me and plan to adjust mixture when I get out there before taking off.