Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2022, 08:10 PM   #1

Doh! Hellcat shifting issue

Hey guys I'm new to the bike world. Rode dirtbikes as a kid but that's about it. Anyway, recently bought a hellcat. Assembled, changed oil, test drove it and everyrhing was fine. Finally got it registered and now it shifts hard as hell, or not at all. The oil level is fine, and I tried adjusting the clutch cable, still no luck. It will shift down into first, but with clutch lever engaged I have to literally yank it up into 2nd. And it's also veryyyy hard to find neutral. Tha KS in advance for any help!

Old 04-28-2022, 10:44 PM   #2

Could be caused by a clutch not completely disengaged when its running. Does it shift gears fine when it is not running? They are very stiff when new. There are three points of adjustment, at the grip, halfway on the cable, and inside the lever (small box with two screws) on the side case. I would check all and would adjust the clutch at the lever (inside the small box).

Old 04-30-2022, 11:57 AM   #3

Open up the clutch cover and tighten up the set screw. Close that up and then adjust at your handlebars

These bikes take a while to smooth out shifting but certainly tightening up in the clutch case can help

Old 05-02-2022, 07:55 PM   #4

Got it! Shifts hell of a lot better now, still clunky sometimes, but it shifts. Thanks guys! Also, what is the factory front sprocket size, and would I benefit much by changing it?

Old 05-03-2022, 06:36 AM   #5

Factory is 15 or 14 front. 17t gets you higher top speed longer gears, for street riding the 16 and 17 have been doing good. For off road you might look at a different sprocket, maybe lower.

Your bike will eventually shift smoother