Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2012, 12:32 AM   #1

Throttle limiter?

I got a Gio Pocket Dirt Bike for my 6 year old son. It was delivered with almost everything (no front number plate mounting bracket). Other than that it went together easily (with loctite of course). Took a couple of pulls for the first start. After that it starts and idles beautifully. I was shocked at just how much power this thing has!!!!!

Having said that. Is there a throttle limiter on the bike? If not is there a way I can rig one up? Last thing I want is something that will harm my son's confidence in learning how to ride rather than build it up.

Any suggestions on oil as well? I used Lucas Oil high performance 2 stroke oil at 25:1 but again I am open to suggestions.

I will say this about the machine - she wants to go.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:56 AM   #2

With the quality synthetic oils we can get now, I wouldn't hesitate to run 40:1, and I might even stretch it to 50:1.

Pull the cap off of the top of the carb and remove the slider. Find some rigid nylon tube that has an ID that is just a little larger than the thickness of the throttle cable. Measure the length of the space between the carb cap and the slider (when bottomed). Cut a piece of the tubing to be half of the space you just measured. Slice the tube lengthwise, slip it over the throttle cable and reassemble.

The idea is that you've limited the distance that the slider can travel by half. Experiment with different lengths until you're happy. The rpm needs to be high enough to engage the clutch, so it will need to rev some.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-03-2012, 01:13 AM   #3

Is there anything you can't do?

Will give it a go. I am surprised at just how much power this little thing produces.

I'll try to take some photos while I go too......

I tell you mate, I'd like to see a clutch safety system similar to a bar safety system like on my chainsaw. That would be awesome just for user safety. That would probably be my only complaint with this thing.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:26 AM   #4

You're very kind.

The other option is to switch to a child's atv thumb throttle. All the thumb throttles I've seen have limiting screws in them.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer