Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2009, 08:04 PM   #1

I've been doing some slobber welding (tooltote project)

I decided to make a tooltote cart for are offroad toys and stuff and here is two pics of it very close to being painted.

I still need to make the folding front table work area and cut the board for the lower shelf but the cart is done for the most part.

The toolbox is from chinafreight err...harborfreight and is rather large (26" wide) and has roller bearing glides and we love that picture on the inside of the lid.(dont ask what it cost I wont tell)

I plan to have a battery jump box and small 12V air compressor on the bottom shelf or we may slide our small generator in there just havnt decided yet.
I want to be able to take our tools with us when we go riding but also move them very easily at the trails or at home and the cart should work just fine.
I used to just use the big yellow plastic toolbox but it was stuffed to full and a pain to find tools in.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:12 PM   #2

How much did it cost? I'm interested.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:16 PM   #3

Just about $240 total so far.

Amazingly enough it fits in the trailer even with two bikes and two quads in there already so we are very happy.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:33 AM   #4

Is slobber welding anything like booger and popcorn welding? That's my style.

Great idea on the cart! My yellow plastic box has been replaced with a large HF style tool bag, but it's full. Do you find it a challenge to get the whole thing onto the trailer? Would you change the design if you did another one? i was thinking that you might want the large wheels to be rearward of the box (just a little), so that it wouldn't tip if it hit a bump while being rolled backwards. Do you have brakes on it?

I love the Zong boxes nearby. My son pointed out that Zong got their start by cloning Honda engines, and their logo looks like two crossed Honda wing symbols.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-20-2009, 06:30 AM   #5

No slobber welding looks more like a fat person drooling on a donut shop window.

It rolls around very well and the rear tires are big enough so if it does get a bit rough I can just lean the cart back and roll over stuff.

It goes on the trailer very easily, easy enough for my wife to be able to do it.

The rear tire axle is mounted just on the back side of the rear vertical support post and it could have been back an inch or two but I intended it to be more of a two wheel hand cart type.

I didnt intend to have front casters at first but then thought of how much easier it will be to roll around in the cramped garage with front casters.

The rear tires are solid (no-flat) and have a #800lb. capacity the front casters have a #330lb. capacity.

No brakes but I am thinking it should have a set on the rear wheels.
We will be securely strapping it down in the trailer.
The toolbox will be bolted to the cart as will anything else attached to it.

If I were do another one I'd like to make it with tubing and bend a lot of the frame work, it would just be stronger and lighter although this cart is still very light to me.

I wanted to keep reasonable access to the lower area since it is going to be used for something.

I have thought of getting a set of rolling bearing glides and making a pull out storage tray just under the box but not sure if I want to do it yet.
I will have to decide that when I make the flip up table (with recessed magnetic tray) that will go on the front angled part of the cart.

Yeah I think it will help alot instead of having to lug the messy heavy toolbox around and set up a work table plus I'll have a supply of small parts right there.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:47 AM   #6

Excellent. I think I have enough junk around to do something similar, except for the box. HF is two hours and one international boundary away (and our dollar sucks right now). Oh well, I'll keep my eyes open for a used box.

Regarding the proposed storage tray, you could fabricate it so that the drawer pulls to the back side. That way, the drawer could be easily accessed with the work table flipped up. It won't likely extend enough to upset the whole cart, especially with the table flipped up.

Please keep us updated with your progress. Nice work on the patio bricks, BTW.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-20-2009, 12:33 PM   #7

I had thought of attaching the storage tray under the table so I can just pull it out on one side but the rear option is most likely going to be the best.
Not a big idea but I think I'll have the magnetic tray out near the end so I can use the magnets to hold the top in the stored postion when not it use.

First I have to get the bottom filled in with a piece of wood then I'll cut the top maybe a bit large and go from there.

We have wanted to go camping and that means taking the small generator and the bottom of the cart is just big enough for it and then we wouldnt have to carry it around.

Those patio bricks are great compared to the mud hole that used to be in front of the garage/shed door.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #8

Just some more pics not much really.I'm sorry................

Thats our little chinese generator in there and it works fairly well, I was surprized it fit in there.

I have a plan for the small flip up work table now and will try to get it done this weekend.
My wife keeps bugging me to finish it so she can paint and stain it so we can use it to work on our bikes and go riding.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:45 AM   #9

Lokos like a good all around utility stand, I say good job
One question though......Where is the beer holder???? 8O

Old 04-25-2009, 04:22 AM   #10

No beer holder I dont drink anymore I like to be sobber just so I can deal with this wacky world we live in. Although there are times I could use something to help me unwind.

i suppose I could put a can/bottle holder on it.

My wife asked me where the sink is going to go on it.
I said yeah....yeah one of those fold up camping sinks right here on the back, good idea.

I am getting to the point where I just want it done so I can move on to other things.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:51 PM   #11

I hear ya I quit drinking a month ago, It was getting expensive and have saved over 200 bucks..Now I can afford a welder and make some slobberiffic projects also I did have a couple beers last night and did not enjoy it......Guess that wagon has hitched up and left.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:56 PM   #12

Well get that welder and start slobber welding its fun even if it's not useful.

We had a nasty thunderstorm rip through here this afternoon, I got nothing done on it today.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:41 PM   #13

OK so here is a tiny update with pictures .

Here is the small but useful flip up work table in the ready to use position.
I'm going to flush mount the magnetic holder in that area.
I still have to attach the table lockdown bolts.

Here it is folded down.
the mounts are just tacked right now.

Here it is removed so I can access the lower area very easily.

I know its a bore but I am excited about it and am very close to rapping it up.
I just have to finish welding it up and clean and paint it.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:37 AM   #14

I'd rather see somone build an item rather than simply buy one

Old 04-30-2009, 03:14 AM   #15

Awsome the "mobile shop". I love it.