Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2017, 09:06 PM   #1

Hawk at Big Bend National Park

Hey – been a while since I posted. I got my Hawk back in 11/15, and I had intended to use it this past year on my deer lease in West Texas, getting in/out of some of the more rugged areas. Well, for one reason or another, I wasn’t able to get it out there, and I’ve been getting tired of the little BBQ runs around town. So . . . I saw how nice the weather was going to be this week, and I took it out to Big Bend National Park to beat up on it.

There are plenty of great 4x4 roads out there, but one in particular is unmaintained – Black Gap Road – it’s 8 miles or so of fun. I didn’t film anything, but there are some YouTube videos that show it. Let me just say I haven’t done anything as remotely technical since Reagan was president. Somehow the old brain neurons managed to recall those long forgotten reflexes and kept me from eating it on more than a couple of occasions.

My bike remains basically stock except for a 17T front. I have to say that sprocket change dialed in 2nd gear. Great range, only popped it down to 1st and up to 3rd a handful of times, with most everything else handled with enough torque and response to push through all of it.

Overall, I’m still amazed at the overall value of the Hawk. I did over a hundred miles on the back country 4x4 roads, as well as some pavement throughout the park, and it ran like a top the whole time. If anything, I think I took more of a beating than it did. Fun couple of days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cr_1.jpg (100.8 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg cr_2.jpg (98.1 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg cr_3.jpg (98.7 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg cr_4.jpg (98.3 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg cr_5.jpg (98.0 KB, 161 views)

Old 02-10-2017, 11:55 PM   #2

I'm about 7 hrs from b bend but would have loved to have hit those trails with ya.

That place is magical. I hiked to emory peak back in the day. I have wondered about off road in the national park. I guess you had to get all permitted up and paid up too to do it?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 02-11-2017, 12:28 AM   #3

is camping allowed anywhere in the park? great pics...we like pics...
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 02-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #4

Yeah - it really is God's country out there. With the moon coming up on full - it was pretty nice being out there with the coyotes and roadrunners.

Permits are actually pretty easy - $25/car, $20/motorcycle for a week. But since I was hauling my bike in the bed of my pickup, they don't double charge you. I paid for the car permit and they gave me an extra card to put on the dash of the truck when I was out riding the motorcycle. (I didn't think the Hawk, or me, would have done so well at 80mph on I-10 for 200+ miles to save the $5. )

As far as camping goes, they have campgrounds - I think they were $14/night. And there's actually lodging at the main Chisos Mountains HQ. That's where the main trails are located. I did manage to squeeze in one hike between rides. There are also some sites along the Rio Grande and there's a "tourist" crossing if you want to hit Mexico. It's a BIG park.

The option I chose was a back country permit - that's $12 for 2 weeks and you can use the campsites they have in the back country areas along the 4x4 roads. You can't just set up a tent anywhere, and those locations did fill up later in the week when I tried to move locations. A lot of older folks with RVs use up the easy access ones along the main roads. So you would want to plan/reserve if you go in a high demand time. With the heat during the summer down there, spring/fall are the high demand times.

I did a spur of the moment trip, and it worked out. I had to move around a bit, but I got a decent system to get the bike in and out of the bed of the truck so it wasn't a big deal. Total cost was $37 for 4 days - not a bad price for admission. Of course, I spent more than that in gas getting to and from - it is a haul, but it's a great drive. The Trans-Pecos is a really great area of the state.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:17 AM   #5

When i was young my mom had a friend who was the park manager and lived in the park we spent a month there one winter,it is an amazing park and ever since has been traveling to the National Parks ever since.I would love to ride my Hawk through there.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:52 AM   #6

There is a Texas country reporter episode Show # 1423, originally aired 12.06.14,(not available free) that shows those roads and that slippery rock terrain you talk about. I see what you mean. Did you experience any "off's"
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 02-11-2017, 04:01 PM   #7

It’s a lot of loose gravel, rock, and pockets of sand in some of the drainages that sneak up on you. I didn’t lay it down or get bucked, but came close probably a half a dozen times on that road. It wasn’t like I was attacking it or anything, but you do have to pick a line and throw in the power in some spots, and sometimes they were a little loose and the bike got squirrely. Actually remembering how to recover when it started to get away from me was a pleasant surprise.

There were a couple of times that I did think to myself that my spare shift lever was back in the truck only a 15 mile hike away.

Old 02-12-2017, 05:19 PM   #8

Awesome report . I know the area ,but have never ridden there . I am looking forward to receive my first China bike in a few days . It's a Hawk like yours and love reading these cheap bikes hold together . Looking to pull Hawk on trailer behind 1800 wing for away from home exploring . Watch for a green and black ine with Wi plates in your area at some point in the future .