Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2023, 07:45 PM   #1

sburk's xpro hawk 250 progress and questions

hello all this will be my thread that has all my bikes problem's and questions for solutions. i have a 2023 xpro hawk 250. i love it and want to keep it going for as long as i can. i like to keep every thing organized so this tread is going to be where i post everything. probably not a lot of pic since i have a flip phone and a laptop (i dont do the social media stuff like facebook so why do i need a smart phone lol ) but i will post pics if some thing comes up that i think i should thanks in advance for everyones help.

so as of right now i have opened the stock carb and put in a 115 jet and set the valves to .04mm or .05 i cant remember at the moment for intake and .08 for exhaust. this solved my glowing red pipe and and the throttle is more responsive.

Old 11-02-2023, 07:52 PM   #2

new problem
took the hawk for i quick ride to my dads house to show him the new bike. on the way home i got on it a bit and at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle it started to bog down pretty good. i am not very smart at tuning carbs but i can manage kind of.

do you think i should shim the needle with a washer or try a 110 jet what is your guys thoughts.

Old 11-03-2023, 02:32 AM   #3

What needle was in it before and did it bog? I'm guessing you went from lean to rich, but there is a particular tune and needle/jet for each phase of the throttle. Meaning from 0 to 1/4; 1/4 to 1/2; 1/2 to 3/4 and 3/4 to full. I'm learning this stuff, too, so I'm very interested.

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 11-03-2023, 04:37 AM   #4

Pilot jet and air screw handle up to about 1/4 throttle. The needle controls flow through the main jet in midrange. If it is bogging at full throttle, it is likely to be a main jet problem.

So your suspicion that bogging in that midrange is due to needle height is accurate!

You have already been in there, so you are ready to shim the needle. There is a description of this in the Templar resource sticky in this dual sport section. It applies to your hawk carb as well..

You need to unscrew the slide cap, pull out the slide, remove the cable front the slide, pull the needle out, and put a little washer under it. Then put it all back together and test it.

Old 11-03-2023, 05:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post
What needle was in it before and did it bog? I'm guessing you went from lean to rich, but there is a particular tune and needle/jet for each phase of the throttle. Meaning from 0 to 1/4; 1/4 to 1/2; 1/2 to 3/4 and 3/4 to full. I'm learning this stuff, too, so I'm very interested.
stock needle still i just changed the jet from a 105 to a 115. motocheez has shown a pic of what all the jets do in a few vids i am going to review it and maybe post it here

Old 11-03-2023, 05:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Pilot jet and air screw handle up to about 1/4 throttle. The needle controls flow through the main jet in midrange. If it is bogging at full throttle, it is likely to be a main jet problem.

So your suspicion that bogging in that midrange is due to needle height is accurate!

You have already been in there, so you are ready to shim the needle. There is a description of this in the Templar resource sticky in this dual sport section. It applies to your hawk carb as well..

You need to unscrew the slide cap, pull out the slide, remove the cable front the slide, pull the needle out, and put a little washer under it. Then put it all back together and test it.
thank you i am going try and get it done tonight after work

Old 11-03-2023, 06:36 AM   #7

a pic from one of motocheezs videos to help tune your carb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carb.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	30320  

Old 11-03-2023, 07:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburk View Post
thank you i am going try and get it done tonight after work
Here is the post (#5 in the Templar resource guide).

The retainer holding down the needle may be a little different, but the concept is exactly the same. If you can take a couple of pictures (got a separate digital camera?), it would be great.

https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...79&postcount=5

Old 11-03-2023, 12:27 PM   #9

Man, you guys kick wholesale ass. I have learned more about engines/carbs in the past few months then my entire previous 52 years on the planet.

Thank you, fellow China Riders!

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 11-03-2023, 01:17 PM   #10

Motocheez? That name has to be made up. That has to be some troll.

Sigh… Now you’re believing random things some random dude posts to the internet?
Honda CB350
Honda CL450
Tyrion the Pit Bike

Old 11-03-2023, 01:18 PM   #11

Oh, wait. He’s one of the moderators here. I guessssssss that’s suppose to count for something.
Honda CB350
Honda CL450
Tyrion the Pit Bike

Old 11-03-2023, 04:32 PM   #12

Motocheez

Motocheez has youtube excellent videos on these bikes. And they are entertaining. I love the unboxing/assembly videos! But the carb videos are essential. GOOD stuff.

Old 11-03-2023, 07:40 PM   #13

bogging at half to to 3/4throttle

so i gat home and shimmed the needle with one washer that was bigger then the clip on the needle. i thought is since the shim is bigger the the clip on the needle that one would maybe be enough. went on a quick 2 block ride same thing its bogging. ill try a second washer tomorrow and see.

could i passably need to go down in jet size? i went from the stock 105 to a 115.

when i went on the first ride (all stock) it didnt do that. but i didnt get on hard for the first ride.

ill try both tomorrow and see

Old 11-03-2023, 07:43 PM   #14

thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Here is the post (#5 in the Templar resource guide).

The retainer holding down the needle may be a little different, but the concept is exactly the same. If you can take a couple of pictures (got a separate digital camera?), it would be great.

https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...79&postcount=5
thanks for the info it seems to be the same as the hawk. one shim didnt seem to help ill try two and see.

Old 11-03-2023, 07:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen216 View Post
Motocheez? That name has to be made up. That has to be some troll.

Sigh… Now you’re believing random things some random dude posts to the internet?
i agree with you not all info on youtube is correct or even close for that matter.
that being said i watched a lot of his hawk videos and his runs' like a champ as best as i can tell from my screen so i figured he was some what creditable. he is actually how i found out about this fourm.