Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2019, 01:22 AM   #1

Apollo DB36 Deluxe, Update

I thought I'd better post some pics of the bike. I have not had a lot of time to work on it. It's -2 degrees out as I write this and it's supposed to be -25 tomorrow :(

Thankfully, I do have a kerosene heater that works pretty well; I even have to turn it off at times because it's so hot. I've been busy with my kids this weekend, but I was able to pull away after they went to bed. I'm taking my time with the bike because: a) it's negative temps out, and b) I want to ensure I do everything right. I want to install the new carb and battery before I even start the bike.

But, as I said above, I thought I'd post pics as an update, albeit minimal, but forward progress. Please disregard the messy garage. I have all of my kid's stuff and outdoor furniture in there, packed tight,

Front wheel, brake, headlight, handbards, and front and rear fenders are installed (parts are greased and "loctited"). As you can see from the pics, I removed the seat. Again, my plans is to order the new carb from Amazon and install it next week. I have to remove the gas tank to access it; that's why I removed the seat and haven't install any of the plastic. I also installed the chain roller. Can't really see it from the pics. Rear suspension is also fully installed. It's much more firm that the Hawk/Enforcer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0117.jpg (97.1 KB, 1032 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0119.jpg (94.7 KB, 884 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0120.jpg (96.8 KB, 1028 views)

Last edited by Ski_rush; 03-03-2019 at 02:19 AM.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:31 AM   #2

A few more showing the other side and the digital dash (not on...no battery installed).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0124.jpg (96.2 KB, 977 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0123.jpg (93.6 KB, 812 views)

Last edited by Ski_rush; 03-03-2019 at 02:18 AM.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:35 AM   #3

A few more. One showing the rear tire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0126.jpg (96.2 KB, 858 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0127.jpg (94.8 KB, 911 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0128.jpg (96.3 KB, 811 views)

Old 03-03-2019, 01:37 AM   #4

Last pics for tonight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0129.jpg (92.1 KB, 905 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0130.jpg (95.4 KB, 891 views)

Old 03-03-2019, 01:43 AM   #5

First impressions:

1) I like that the kickstand is an actual normal length. I don't know about the hawks, but the enforcer had a tremendously low kickstand and the bike felt like it was going to tip over all the time. I would leave it on the bike lift just so it wouldn't tip over.

2) There is a little less assembly with this bike than the Enforcer. I know...then why haven't I finished it yet? There is still a lot of work to do. I want to do the carb, get a new battery, and ensure I go through the whole bike with loctite.

3) The build quality seems good, overall.

4) I'm not loving the length of my front brake cable. It seems a little too long. Thoughts? Should I re-route the line a little to take up some of the slack at the front wheel?

5) The front plastic guards for the forks suck. The left one (as you're facing the bike) is "bent" or "curved" in a little so it sometimes rubs the front tire. Any suggestions on how to correct that?

6) You probably already know this, but all of the Apollo DB36's are black plastic with brightly colors decals. I hate the decals. The only reason why I wanted the red one was because it comes with the red frame. All of the other colors of the bike come with a black frame. I am thinking about removing the existing decals and putting something else on.

7) I also removed the chain guard. The metal tabs that the guard mounts to are welded to the swingarm. Those tabs were bent "in" towards the chain. I can only assume that eventually, the chain would begin to rub on the plastic guard...so I just took it off...

That's really it for now. I need to start the bike and run it around before I can comment on how it runs, etc.

Last edited by Ski_rush; 03-03-2019 at 02:22 AM.

Old 03-03-2019, 02:01 AM   #6

Ok, I lied, one more. This note is connected by a string to the plastic air filter box. I have no idea how to decipher what it is saying or what it's saying that I should do.

Any thoughts/suggestions? What is it telling me that I should do? Thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0125.jpg (80.6 KB, 878 views)

Old 03-03-2019, 07:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski_rush View Post
First impressions:

1) I like that the kickstand is an actual normal length. I don't know about the hawks, but the enforcer had a tremendously low kickstand and the bike felt like it was going to tip over all the time. I would leave it on the bike lift just so it wouldn't tip over.

2) There is a little less assembly with this bike than the Enforcer. I know...then why haven't I finished it yet? There is still a lot of work to do. I want to do the carb, get a new battery, and ensure I go through the whole bike with loctite.

4) I'm not loving the length of my front brake cable. It seems a little too long. Thoughts? Should I re-route the line a little to take up some of the slack at the front wheel?

5) The front plastic guards for the forks suck. The left one (as you're facing the bike) is "bent" or "curved" in a little so it sometimes rubs the front tire. Any suggestions on how to correct that?

6) You probably already know this, but all of the Apollo DB36's are black plastic with brightly colors decals. I hate the decals. The only reason why I wanted the red one was because it comes with the red frame. All of the other colors of the bike come with a black frame. I am thinking about removing the existing decals and putting something else on.

7) I also removed the chain guard. The metal tabs that the guard mounts to are welded to the swingarm. Those tabs were bent "in" towards the chain. I can only assume that eventually, the chain would begin to rub on the plastic guard...so I just took it off...

That's really it for now. I need to start the bike and run it around before I can comment on how it runs, etc.
If you don't run the chain guard, you will need to wipe your chain down really good after you lube it. You will get oil all over you and your bike without it. Also helps keep debris out of your chain off-road.

After you change the oil (before you ever crank it), you will have to let it run at idle for several minutes before even attempting to ride it. Carb is set very lean from factory to clear CA smog test. Mine ran very good with the stock carb after warming up. Ran awesome with my pumper carb. When you put your aftermarket carb on, it will be choke and go.

I like the stickers on mine. Blue. Black frame. I know a lot of people take all the name, size, and colors off their bikes. I like to leave mine on so that people know what I have. I bugs the crap out of me when all the identifying stuff is gone off of a bike. It is like they are embarrassed to let someone see what kind of bike they have. This goes for Honda, Harley, Yamaha, etc. My wife will ask me "what kind of bike was that" when we pass one. I say "Don't know. They are ashamed of it".

Old 03-03-2019, 07:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Ok, I lied, one more. This note is connected by a string to the plastic air filter box. I have no idea how to decipher what it is saying or what it's saying that I should do.

Bike is looking real nice. The red frame brings it out That tag is to remind you to cut the zip tie off the vent tube (if it is still on there) It is shipped with the vent tube pinched with a zip tie so oil won't leak out the tube if create is tipped over.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Last edited by JerryHawk250; 03-03-2019 at 07:58 AM.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:27 AM   #9

Is this bike street legal 50 states? It’s got the CB250 OHC motor that’s the most or more common engine in China
Strange that the USA gets the poverty CG250 pushrod engined still in 2019! In some bikes, weird I say just weird

The emissions equipment on the bike might actually be fake inside lol as I’ve seen it taken it apart and no workings inside, easily block the 2 bolt flange on right side of motor n remove that nonsense thing if you want
Blank off the vacuum line and possibly the big breather line into the air box

Old 03-03-2019, 09:03 AM   #10

Quote:
First impressions:

If the front fork bootie is prevented from rotating, you can try whittling down a piece of wood to fit between the tire and the bootie to push the bootie lip out to where it should be, plus a little bit, then use one of those hairdrier guns to heat the plastic. Only heat it where it needs to bend, not out at the lip. A good alternative to using a chainguard is to wash out the chain in kerosene, hang it up to drip dry overnight. Then take some Gulf brand canning wax, heat it up in a double boiler (a can containing the wax in a larger can of boiling water) mix in colloidal graphite (flakes are best, but powder will do). Soak the chain in the hot wax for at least a half hour with the heat still on. Make sure to keep an eye on the water level during this whole process. After the half hour is up, cut off the heat. I used a wire coat hanger to get the hot chain out of the soup, then I hung it up over a pan to let it drip dry.....ARH

Old 03-03-2019, 09:20 AM   #11

Quote:

If that black tube isn't open, the end may need to be cut off. Install a hose on it and run it down under the bike. Make sure it drains outside the path of the rear tire. If the carb floods into the airbox or water gets into it, it will need to drain out before it causes problems.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
Is this bike street legal 50 states? It’s got the CB250 OHC motor that’s the most or more common engine in China
Strange that the USA gets the poverty CG250 pushrod engined still in 2019! In some bikes, weird I say just weird
It is legal in California as an off-road bike (more weirdness, but it is California...). When bikes are first certified, they go through a rigorous and expensive emission test. Subsequent certification is pretty much annual renewing one's cert. So it is to one's advantage to keep renewing and selling. Hence the old technology. Same reason the Hawk could not simply throw on fuel injection (probably what 'woke' them up to get the new bike 49 state street legal since they had to start from scratch, anyway. The Hawk/Magician was recently renewed as an 'off-road dirt bike' since that is what it was in the first place and RPS might as well keep milking that cash cow).

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-03-2019, 09:59 AM   #13

What are the white plastic things on the side of the bike?

Old 03-03-2019, 10:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDStroup View Post
What are the white plastic things on the side of the bike?
This bike is also made as a watercooled version in other countrys. They leave the plastic air deflectors on for the radiators. I believe it also helps direct air to the engine for the air cooled version too.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_not_a_honda View Post
This bike is also made as a watercooled version in other countrys. They leave the plastic air deflectors on for the radiators. I believe it also helps direct air to the engine for the air cooled version too.
Dang, i would love to try to get the water cool version here.

I wonder if you can get one of the oil coolers behind that and how much it would help.

I also forgot to ask earlier, what are the tire sizes that come with it?