Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-21-2016, 11:10 PM   #1

Progressive Shock - Sag Setting

Today I got my Progressive Suspension 465 installed...and my dogbones lubed up. Now, I want to make sure I have it setup optimally by seeing the preload and rebound. My front and rear rebound seem fine. Comes back fairly quickly but doesn't buck or bounce. But the rear preload is giving me some issues and making me wonder if I'm doing things correctly. So this is on an RX3, I'm a fairly light guy at 120 pounds and then add my riding gear and having all the normal stuff on the bike I first put it up on the center stand and then measured from the center of the axle to a point I marked up on the luggage frame. It measured 21 13/16". My understanding is our bike has 5.7" of rear travel. So setting a 30% race sag means that the measurement with me on the loaded bike should be 20 1/8". I mounted the bike and bounced it a bit to settle the suspension and had my wife measure the same points. It was closer to 19". So turned the preload spring down a couple of turns and was able to get it to 19 1/2". But there was also a note in the supplemental manual for the CSC version that said: Caution: The installed spring length must never be shorter than 8.13" or shock damage may occur. The spring length was shorter than that from the factory and I'm worried about continuing to tighten it. BTW the shock came with the light spring.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I plan on calling Gerry tomorrow but wanted some of your in the field recommendations also.

Thanks much!

Tags
preload, progressive suspension, sag, shock