Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #1

ZS200GY starter starting noice appeared video

Hi,
I need help diagnosing problem.
https://vimeo.com/279874870
Today my bike has changed the sound during starting. Loud ticking noise during starting appeared today. You can hear it in video. The ticking is even louder in real, while in this video it is lower volume.
Bike starts no problem. On this video I engaged the kill switch so the engine would not start, but bike runs no problem, also starts ok.
What is going on here?

Old 07-13-2018, 07:29 PM   #2

I’d start with making sure the battery’s fully charged. Most likely though your starters going out. You can take it off and check the brushes. I recently had same sound and thought it was my battery or solenoid but it ended up being my starter. Easy to see if that’s the problem if you remove starter and open it up and check brushes

Old 07-13-2018, 08:30 PM   #3

Yes. The battery is not at its best, but the starter is ok, I rebuild it last year, cleaned, lubricated, checked brushes. It does turn the engine slowly, though. But, Its not the starter itself making that ticking noise which was not there before. It is noise related to the engine rotation, or maybe magneto rotation or maybe the one-way bearing behind the magneto rotation. There is a short, high pitched tick sound which wasn't there before. I wonder if there is reason to worry, or if there is reason to look for exchange part which makes that noise, so if something brakes i can swap it right. I will ride it then, as no other option right now. Thanks!

Old 07-13-2018, 08:55 PM   #4

Maybe check the starter clutch, there’s a woodruff key that holds it that might be wearing out and not gripping starter clutch good. My experience is to check now and find the problem before it causes more problems later on.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:30 AM   #5

Hi
Its the one way starter bearing that is the problem. The cage of the bearing has broken. When I removed, 2 "needles" were off and also few parts of the cage of that bearing. For now I can kick-start it but would appreciate if someone can help finding the part on aliexpress.