Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2010, 05:25 PM   #1

Beast Rear Swingarm Play

So i removed the swingarm out of my beast, after losing the chain a few times and then finally breaking it, i have noticed that there is excessive lateral play in their setup. This was confirmed by measuring up the parts, the bolt is .484" OD, the bushings are .505" ID and the swingarm was drilled to .535" ID, that's too much play for me and might explain why i lose the chain on hard corners.

I have ordered in new bushings as per W&G's yamaha part #307-22123-00, i will install these then measure the ID and find a bolt that is hopefully less than .005" under that, i have a feeling that i will have to drill out the swingarm and bush or line it to get a faily tight fit that will hopefully eliminate the excessive rear end play. Any one else finding their beasts having excessive play in the rear end or did some chinese guy or girl drill my swingarm holes too big.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:13 PM   #2

We haven't examined the swingarm on TurboT's Beast yet, but he's lost the chain about six times now, two of which were after tightening the chain.

We're planning a tech day.

My quad hasn't missed a beat since installing an RK chain and Yamaha bushings. I've never ridden it with the stock stuff.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-25-2010, 06:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
We haven't examined the swingarm on TurboT's Beast yet, but he's lost the chain about six times now, two of which were after tightening the chain.
...and usually while in water or mud, like it knows, and is telling me something. "Get off me you heavy sonofa...!"

Old 01-25-2010, 06:41 PM   #4

LOL...

Old 01-25-2010, 08:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind

We're planning a tech day.

My quad hasn't missed a beat since installing an RK chain and Yamaha bushings. I've never ridden it with the stock stuff.
do u have the link to see how u put yamaha bushings

Old 01-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #6

Well my yamaha bushings should be in tomorrow, i'll post some pics, but it should be as easy as hammering the old ones out and hammering the new ones in, W&G suggested putting the new ones in the freezer for a day to aid in installation.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:18 PM   #7

Yep, it's that simple. A little grease helps as well.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-25-2010, 09:33 PM   #8

DO you know if any honda atv bushing work too, because i work at a honda dealer, so i get part at cost. if not you thing i can find the yamaha bushings on ebay??

Old 01-25-2010, 09:46 PM   #9

There might be a Honda equivalent, I don't know. I simply took my bushing into the local Yamaha dealer, and the parts guy knew what it was right away. You can certainly buy them at a Yamaha dealer, but you'll need to do a search to answer the eBay question.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:57 PM   #10

i found the link http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ghlight=#75045

Old 01-26-2010, 03:50 PM   #11

Ok, i got the bushings today, for reference they are .947"/24mm OD x .483"/12.25mm ID x 1.731"/44mm long.

This looks like it will be a much tighter fit on my bolt so i guess i'll just swap these in and then look for a way to bush or line my swingarm as those holes are too big and are allowing all the play.

EDIT, just checked the bolt, still seems a little loose in the new bushings, a new measure if it is only .462", darn that's 21 thou off, i guess i'll try to find a bolt that is closer to a true 12mm.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
Ok, i got the bushings today, for reference they are .947"/24mm OD x .483"/12.25mm ID x 1.731"/44mm long.

This looks like it will be a much tighter fit on my bolt so i guess i'll just swap these in and then look for a way to bush or line my swingarm as those holes are too big and are allowing all the play.

EDIT, just checked the bolt, still seems a little loose in the new bushings, a new measure if it is only .462", darn that's 21 thou off, i guess i'll try to find a bolt that is closer to a true 12mm.
Are you measuring your parts with a caliper or a micrometer and small bore gauges? I'm interested to know how truly 'round' any of those parts are, and if you get any tighter that out of roundness may cause you grief. I'd agree .021 sounds like too much clearance, but wouldn't be surprised to hear of .010 out of round factor on the bolt or ID of the bushing.

Also good to remember you're cold out, and you will have expansion of your parts in the summer.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:09 PM   #13

Yep, measuring the parts with a digital vernier caliper. I guess the bolt didn't matter anyways, it was bent, i'll be getting a new one anyways.

Ok, the old bushings are out, that was way more fun than i expected.....NOT....I ended up drilling 1/8" holes in the rubber to help remove the center sleeve, then i hammered an awl in to split the outer tube and then hammered them out, i thought it would be easier but hey with a drill, hammer, the old bolt and a screwdriver i got them out. Thankfully putting them back in will be much easier, i will put them in the freezer and plan on using a pc of threaded rod with 2 nuts to squeeze them into place, then i have to find a better bolt and a way to sleeve the swingarm.

That's it for today, off to a racing meeting.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:43 PM   #14

How much use did you have on your ATV before the bushings wore out?

Sounds like a PIA job but once it's done you should never have to do it again.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
Yep, measuring the parts with a digital vernier caliper. I guess the bolt didn't matter anyways, it was bent, i'll be getting a new one anyways.

Ok, the old bushings are out, that was way more fun than i expected.....NOT....I ended up drilling 1/8" holes in the rubber to help remove the center sleeve, then i hammered an awl in to split the outer tube and then hammered them out, i thought it would be easier but hey with a drill, hammer, the old bolt and a screwdriver i got them out. Thankfully putting them back in will be much easier, i will put them in the freezer and plan on using a pc of threaded rod with 2 nuts to squeeze them into place, then i have to find a better bolt and a way to sleeve the swingarm.

That's it for today, off to a racing meeting.
Wayne that is strange. The SA bushings on my daughters quad almost fell out. They were trashed beyond belief though. (After 1 month)