Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2009, 01:46 PM   #1

Monster pipe on Beast experiment.

UPS just came with a couple of Monster Performance Exhaust's. I ordered a couple in case I modoifed one beyond repair.

I got this idea from Weldngrind. He put up some pics of the Monster pipe and it is more or less a straight through design as opposed to the beast performance exhaust which is not.

At first glance the triangular flange that connects the pipe to the can looks like it will bolt right up. They also include a crush washer and head pipe but they are meant for the monster and are a smaller diameter even if they did fit which is unlikely. You also get clamp, and triangular gasket.

I will have results in a couple hours and pics of how it looks and any troubles I run in to.

My guess is it will sound obnoxious compared to the larger performance can on there now (which sounds nice to me), but I DO know there is a lot of backpressure in there right now. How do I know? I blew the exhaust gasket the other day, the one between the can and pipe. A chunk just blew out on its own.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #2

I too would like to know the results, my performance exhaust on my beast really seems to have a lot of backpressure, after a ride yesterday 1/4 of the red anodizing has dissappeared from heat, that muffler was extremely hot and i find it to be quite heavy for a performance exhaust. Looking forward to your tests and results.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
I too would like to know the results, my performance exhaust on my beast really seems to have a lot of backpressure, after a ride yesterday 1/4 of the red anodizing has dissappeared from heat, that muffler was extremely hot and i find it to be quite heavy for a performance exhaust. Looking forward to your tests and results.
Me too!

...and Pete, I might need to buy one of the 10 pipes you bought off you, since I think you got the last batch.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
Me too!

...and Pete, I might need to buy one of the 10 pipes you bought off you, since I think you got the last batch.
LOL LOL...you spotted that eh???? (shhhh..it was only 7 8))

Wayne: Agree 100% with you. Did you watch your rubber strap on the clamp smoke itself to death like mine did upon startup? I just let it go..what else was I gonna do?

OK, Ima going to get started. Shouldnt be long.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:32 PM   #5

Actually my rubber strap is still intact, it did stink the first run but has been fine til i had a longer run yesterday. 7 pipes eh?, i just might have to take the 2 hr drive if you going to part with one of them.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:15 PM   #6

It works. BWAHAHAHAHA
Its loud. Think snap crackle pop type loud. It sounds like one of our Honda's now (R's) I kid you not.

Had trouble starting, Had no trouble idling because it refused to. So...5 minutes with a small slot fixed that.

You need to use the new hanger, diameter is smaller.

Its only half the weight of the beast performance pipe.

Carb needs a little more TLC, but the bike is quicker. My son also took it for a snort and it passed approval "sounds MEAN" and he says its faster and so do I, but no empirical data to back that up. Just Ass-O-Meter.

I get flames with the choke on

P.S. Yeah thats a coffee...weak moment...

Old 11-06-2009, 04:27 PM   #7

MEOW.

Problem is the damn pipe is PINK.

Flames with the choke on?? COOL.

I need a pipe now, no auctions on them all week.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:27 PM   #8

That is very good news.......so that means you still have 6 left?, we may have to talk.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:20 PM   #9

OK, in reality I only purchased 4.
One as a spare for me in case I had to mess with the first one, one on the bike, and two because I am going to try and adapt them to the mini ATV's dual exhaust. Yes, THAT dual exhaust, the one the bike never shipped with.

That being said, if they dont come back on auction then my "project" two are TurboT's and waynev's.

Price is 7 bucks plus whatever the cheapest shipping is, probably under ten bucks, or maybe even 5. They are very light.

Oh, the thing gets NOWHERE NEAR as hot as the performance beast one. We ripped around for 1/2 hour and my rubber is still intact (cough-cough)...the performance beast one would have been super hot by then...this one? Meh...can tap it with your hand without getting burned.

Thats the best cat in the world. When I pull in the driveway it comes to the truck and waits for me to open the door. Then it jumps up.
Then it follows me like a little dog in the house.
Only drinks from a running tap or a glass on the counter and if you so much as glance at it, it starts to purr. Dozy as hell though. Gets stuck on the roof constantly. Great disposition, I've never seen it pissed off, ever.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD
One as a spare for me in case I had to mess with the first one, one on the bike, and two because I am going to try and adapt them to the mini ATV's dual exhaust. Yes, THAT dual exhaust, the one the bike never shipped with.

That being said, if they dont come back on auction then my "project" two are TurboT's and waynev's.

Price is 7 bucks plus whatever the cheapest shipping is, probably under ten bucks, or maybe even 5. They are very light.

Oh, the thing gets NOWHERE NEAR as hot as the performance beast one. We ripped around for 1/2 hour and my rubber is still intact (cough-cough)...the performance beast one would have been super hot by then...this one? Meh...can tap it with your hand without getting burned.

Thats the best cat in the world. When I pull in the driveway it comes to the truck and waits for me to open the door. Then it jumps up.
Only drinks from a running tap or a glass on the counter and if you so much as glance at it, it starts to purr. Dozy as hell though. Gets stuck on the roof constantly. Great disposition, I've never seen it pissed off, ever.
I take it by looking there isn't anything in the way of a spark arrestor in there? Don't want to burn down our lovely riding area.

High probability that I will be seeing W&G at some point over the weekend and we can discuss the exhaust. I know he has at least one more Monster pipe in his position, not sure if he has two... will also keep an eye on the auction. The Beast pipes dissapeared for a while too, so maybe he'll put some more up in a couple days(Monsters). At this point I want to get the carb and shocks sorted before worrying about exhaust.. we'll soon be out of riding season.

The cat is cool. I have a good one too, but the other boys don't get along with him (2 dogs).

Old 11-06-2009, 05:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD

I take it by looking there isn't anything in the way of a spark arrestor in there? Don't want to burn down our lovely riding area.

High probability that I will be seeing W&G at some point over the weekend and we can discuss the exhaust. I know he has at least one more Monster pipe in his position, not sure if he has two... will also keep an eye on the auction. The Beast pipes dissapeared for a while too, so maybe he'll put some more up in a couple days(Monsters). At this point I want to get the carb and shocks sorted before worrying about exhaust.. we'll soon be out of riding season.

The cat is cool. I have a good one too, but the other boys don't get along with him (2 dogs).
Nope, straight shot out. I would imagine the odds of lighting up the forest are much greater with the cat from your truck, but sure, things do happen.

The 3 cats use our pug as sport. Things were different with my chocolate lab, but thats another story.

SO HERE is the big difference: Its obvious. No wonder it seemed to have a metric sihtload of backpressure.

Yeah its pinkish..but the sound is WICKED! So, so cool. Almost sounds like 2 stroke. I mean, not that thats a plus or anything, but still, cool.

Thanks Weldngrind!

Riding season? Whats this you speak of?...its minus 1 and I'm in the garage, posting from my phone, installing the kids Mikuni...

EDIT: IDEA!! Hows about drilling or punching out that sealing plate in the beast performance exhaust??? You would still be stuck with the original pipe dia., but it would let the gasses flow through instead of that tortured path they now have!

Old 11-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #12

I have a Belgian Shepherd and a Goldie.

The Shepherd's the boss, and the Goldie backs him up... when you look up Belgian Shepherd's breed characteristics, it plainly says, "Be careful around small animals.. "

Not that he's a viscious creature, be he gets so damn excited when he sees something small and fluffy the Goldie thinks, "Oh boy oh boy hunt is on" and it get's a little dangerous for said Mr. Cat. Feel bad for the bugger, he's a good pal, in the front yard.

I think drilling holes in the pipe might help, as option 2 (b) .

Old 11-06-2009, 08:20 PM   #13

Good news! Thanks for the update Pete. Just to confirm, are the flanges identical in size?

TurboT, we can gut a stock Beast muffler that I have laying around here; I'm not gonna use it for anything else. It's yours if you want it.

BTW, pink anodizing is removeable.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-06-2009, 08:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Good news! Thanks for the update Pete. Just to confirm, are the flanges identical in size?

Yes

TurboT, we can gut a stock Beast muffler that I have laying around here; I'm not gonna use it for anything else. It's yours if you want it.

BTW, pink anodizing is removeable.
I WANT MY 7 DOLLARS DAMN YOU!!!!!!!

Oh, try oven cleaner for the anodizing...old trick.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:38 PM   #15

Of course, kind Pete, I'm offering a muffler to T in case you don't want to part with yours.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer