Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #1

Battery won't charge - 2006 Hi-bird 200gy

So just last month I bought the Hi-Bird, and it only had 154 miles on it. The owner had just put in a new battery. It started fine. However, by the time I finally got my leathers and licence, only the kick start would work. After reading the forums and using my digital volt meter, I found that the batter was low. When the bike was started and the engine reved, the battery got no extra juice what so ever. So from other posts, I think it is either the regulator or stator. How exactly do I test these and where do I need to stick the meter prods to do so?

Old 06-11-2009, 10:10 PM   #2

Does your horn honk when the engine is running? Does it sound normal? How about your headlight does it get any brighter when you rev it verses idol.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:33 PM   #3

The headlight idea is a good one! I will try tomorrow when I won't wake the neighbors. Also could I check by removing the battery all together and trying it, or does the bike need a battery to just operate? I am guessing if the headlight brightens, it points to the regulator?

James

Old 06-11-2009, 11:58 PM   #4

Never disconnect the battery when the bike is running. Lots of strange things can happen. The horn also needs a full voltage to sound normal.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #5

If the battery reads the same charge with the motor off or revving it is not charging. Check and clean all connections. I don't know offhand how to tell if it is the stator or regulator. I'm sure Forchetto or another expert will help out soon. Also, I think he may have addressed a similar question a month or so ago. Try the search feature.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:08 PM   #6

I looked at the headlight while reving and could not tell any change in power intensity.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:33 PM   #7

Check all of your connections under the seat.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:48 PM   #8

looked under the seat, everythng seems tight together. However there is one connector that does not be appeared to connect to anything. I looked in the manual where it labels the wiring harness, and it did not have a label.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:33 PM   #9

Does your horn honk when the engine is running? Does it sound normal? How about your headlight does it get any brighter when you rev it verses idol.

I never got an answer on that. You said you could not see any difference. Had you charged the battery?. I am trying to figure out for sure if you have the problem you think you have. I am not sure that when you tested the voltage you had a good tester or were doing it right. To test your tester check a car that is running and you should read over 13 volts usually more. If that is what you read then you know that your testing method is good. Test it right at the battery on the metal connectors, not he battery terminals. Then test it on the battery terminals, if there is a difference, you have a problem there. I am trying to make sure you have good connections on the battery cables.

If you have no improved voltage then, ask the previous owner if it ever charged, it that person is not available, ask this forum what to do when you have no voltage output. I have some ideas but I am not sure what you should do first.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:10 AM   #10

i had the same story on older vehicles (my trail honda and a 1973 muscle car), and it was due to a bad earth, i.e. a bare spot on a 12 V power cable which was touching metal. it took me ages to find it.

i would check this as it is the most likely cause of no charge symptoms and low output, coz plastic sheaths of the cables aren t that sturdy.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #11

As I said the before the headlight does not dim or brighten. The horn sounds normal as far as I can tell. The previous owner put in the battery right before I bought it, and did a crap job of it. Broke the battery box etc. So when I pulled off the seat to dye it. I noticed, and decided to rewire properly. So I am sure the connectors on the battery are on very securely. When I first noticed the problem I pulled the sides off again just to make sure I did not miss anything. I am very detail oriented so am extremely confident I did not. As for checking the battery, my car battery reads fine over 13 volts. With no charging going on the bike battery it is now into the 9s. I can still kick start and ride.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:06 PM   #12

How many miles have you driven the bike since you have charged the battery? If your light is on all the time, and your battery is not dead, I might suspect the battery. I am assuming that you have a bright light and horn when you are running. I know at 9 volts they are not bright and as loud as they would be at 13 volts. This should be kind of simple, if you can find any point where can find a reading over 13 volts, your charging systems working.

A place to read the the voltage would be the brake light light, read it with the engine running and not running. Read it right at the wires at the light. If you have the same voltage, and the voltage is 13 or more, your problem is the battery I think.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #13

Well I am back after 5 months. I took a spill on the bike and hurt my ribs, which took forever to heal. The bike was extremely hard to start after sitting for so long. Had to clean the carb and tweek the side screw on the carb just so it would not cut off right away at idle. My battery is completely dead and I can only start it by jumping it, or by kick stand. Once started it does not even have the power to light up the number led for what gear it is in. However it will still ride. So I am guessing that points to the regulator not the stator since the spark plug still must be getting energy, Is that correct?

Old 11-08-2009, 07:37 PM   #14

I took a spill on the bike and hurt my ribs, which took forever to heal

Glad you're better. Believe me I can relate. :?