Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2023, 07:12 PM   #1

Total engine failure Templar X

So, after re-reading all the info I could find, I found the intake and exhaust both a little loose. After tightening them up, it fired up with the carb set as all here have. The valves were re-checked and to spec. I then took it for a short ride to see how it felt. It had great throttle response and it was very smooth with little to no popping on deceleration. The speedo wasn't registering so I made a pit stop and adjusted it. Back out I went. I made it 1.9 miles from home and it was running awesome. All of a sudden, it stuttered and died. I ended up pushing it all the way home. It has no compression at all. It has the proper level of T4 15W-40 and the plug was a bronze color.

I have a claim in with the seller. We will see what happens.

2022 Hawk 250 - Mikuni clone carb, jetted appropriately. Pro Tork CRF 150 pipe. Nibbi pod filter. Tusk Chub bars with riser adapters. Amazon levers and foot pegs. Typical gearing change for street... Acerbis hand guards. Nibbi grips. Shortened rear fender. No graphics

2022 Templar X - Stock carb rejetted appropriately, Nibbi grips, Amazon hand guards. Amazon seat cover. Acerbis skid plate, heavily modded. Shortened rear "fender". Custom graphic kit.

Old 05-11-2023, 07:30 PM   #2

That sucks! How many miles do you have on the bike? This is the first I've heard of such an issue and possibly a lemon from the factory

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 05-11-2023, 07:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
That sucks! How many miles do you have on the bike? This is the first I've heard of such an issue and possibly a lemon from the factory

I have approximately 3 miles....

2022 Hawk 250 - Mikuni clone carb, jetted appropriately. Pro Tork CRF 150 pipe. Nibbi pod filter. Tusk Chub bars with riser adapters. Amazon levers and foot pegs. Typical gearing change for street... Acerbis hand guards. Nibbi grips. Shortened rear fender. No graphics

2022 Templar X - Stock carb rejetted appropriately, Nibbi grips, Amazon hand guards. Amazon seat cover. Acerbis skid plate, heavily modded. Shortened rear "fender". Custom graphic kit.

Old 05-11-2023, 08:02 PM   #4

Did you recheck the valves?
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-11-2023, 08:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Did you recheck the valves?
After the failure? Not yet...
Before the failure they were set to 2 and a half thousandth snug.

The motor sounded great until...

Old 05-11-2023, 08:54 PM   #6

If there was a mechanical failure, it will be one of 2 things. Either your piston now has a sunroof, or a valve failed. Or both, if the valve head broke off and became lodged between the piston and head.

If it was a valve, when you go to check them again you will find one of two things. Either one has a huge amount of valve lash as the stem bent and it can't retract, or endless amounts of no-gap as the spring tries to eject the stem out of the top of the head.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-12-2023, 06:24 AM   #7

Keep in mind that this is a Zongshen engine, not a Zuumav engine. Wuyi Zuma, the parent company of Zuumav, is likely to rely on ZS to warranty the engine with a pass through arrangement, but would be subject to specific limited liability. If you look at Alibaba, these engines are low cost, and this would be especially true for contracted vehicle manufacturers that use ZS engines. Make sure that you document anything you do with photos of the engine.

Old 05-12-2023, 07:02 PM   #8

Thanks Mega and Thumper. I hope to open her up tomorrow to get a peek in there. I will be sure to document everything.

I wonder if I could get that 300 cc liquid cooled motor in there?

Old 05-13-2023, 10:36 AM   #9

So, I got a look and the locknut on the exhaust valve and the adjustment post backed completely off. I was able to fish the nut out with a magnet superglued to a long screw. I am going to look fora replacement locknut today and see if it will start. I cannot see any other issues at the moment.

Perhaps the exhaust valve was just not able to open and gave me the impression there was no compression???

I have had many bikes and this is a completely new one to me.

I am usually accused of way over tightening things, but apparently did not this time.

The intake valve is still in spec.

Old 05-13-2023, 10:54 AM   #10

Good find, hopefully no damage.. use the ugga dugga method when tightening.. i don't bother with my torque wrench anymore these days.. i actually messed up a valve stem by trying to figure out the torque of the locknut with a torque wrench many years back as my bonehead move of that day

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 05-13-2023, 05:05 PM   #11

So, no go...

After getting the valve back in spec it still has almost no compression.

Still waiting on a response from the seller.

Old 05-13-2023, 06:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooker89 View Post
So, no go...

After getting the valve back in spec it still has almost no compression.

Still waiting on a response from the seller.
If the valve stopped opening or started to open way too far due to a loose locknut spinning off, the engine would certainly stop. It is possible that the piston is blown through (interference), or rings blown.

It's a good idea to make sure that the valves are adjusted so that they CLOSE (preventing blowby burnout-valve seats subsequently needing lapping). No gap can cause this, and these engines are often shipped with tight or no clearance.

But on the other hand, if exhaust gases can't escape, this is a different problem (rings, head gasket).

Or worse, if the tappet adjusts longer and the valve opens more and more, interference will happen as the valve hits the piston (as Dan mentioned above, and now XLsior mentioned it in the next post).

Last edited by Thumper; 05-13-2023 at 11:17 PM.

Old 05-13-2023, 06:58 PM   #13

is it possible that when the exhaust valve lock nut fell off and the tappet adjustment screw had free will to either back off or tighten you had 2 outcomes...

1 the tappet tightened causing the valve to over extend forcing the it to kiss the piston warping it and damaging the valve/valve seat....loss of compression.

2 the tappet went lose not allowing the valve to not open sufficiently/remain closed to expel exhaust...damaged head gasket/piston rings

Old 05-13-2023, 08:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLsior View Post
is it possible that when the exhaust valve lock nut fell off and the tappet adjustment screw had free will to either back off or tighten you had 2 outcomes...

1 the tappet tightened causing the valve to over extend forcing the it to kiss the piston warping it and damaging the valve/valve seat....loss of compression.

2 the tappet went lose not allowing the valve to not open sufficiently/remain closed to expel exhaust...damaged head gasket/piston rings
I am going with option 2.

Old 05-13-2023, 10:13 PM   #15

Expensive lesson. Reminds me of an old saying; If it ain't broke, don't fix it.