Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2019, 05:59 AM   #1

Obtaining Plates for Tao TBR7 in Southern Ohio

The title bureau, a little over 40 miles round trip, was not too busy. They asked for my papers and then asked what a Tao was.

It is a street legal motorcycle with dual sport capabilities.

It doesn't say street legal on this Manufacture’s Certificate of Origin and there is nothing in our records about this motorcycle.

It truly is street legal, cross my heart.

The clerk asks the next clerk how to handle this. Call Columbus help desk.

After other 10 or so minutes I am informed that Columbus says the VIN Number is for strictly off road bikes and can’t be licensed for street use.
Is there someone I can call? They gave me a Columbus phone number.

I decided I should call Wholesale Motorsports and ask them if they had anything I can use to prove the bike is road worthy. Apparently, I am the first one that ever had any problems like this and they were at a loss on what to do.

I called Columbus and they said that they cannot override a decision the county had made. (WTF). The county made this decision based on what you people told them.

“You can try a different county.”

I wrote an Email to the Clerk of Courts and told them of this catch 22. I also mentioned a minimal Internet search would show that these bikes are street legal. Got this reply:

“Clerk of Courts Wolfe forwarded your message to me

Could you send me a photo of the front and back of the Certificate of Origin and a photo of the bill of sale

I would like to look at the paperwork before I can make a decision in this matter. When we called Columbus yesterday the clerk that was assisting you was told that when they ran the serial number it came back as an off road bike.

I did an online search and I see that the website indicates that they are street legal.

I will get back to you once I receive(sic) the photos.”

The copies were sent and after a day or so the reply came:

“If you return to our office with the Certificate of Origin and bill of sale we will issue you a title. We will also have you sign a sworn affidavit that this vehicle is in fact street legal.”

Washington County in Ohio has set precedence if anyone else has a problem.

For the affidavit I wrote something like, “This bike was sold as street legal and to the best of my knowledge is street legal.”

Oh yes, they included the fright charges when assessing the sales tax, but really couldn't explain why. With title and license plates, the cost was around $160.

As with any dealings with government, Vaseline was not included.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:06 PM   #2

If something isn't black and white at the DMV your at the mercy of the clerk, you get a clerk that wants to be helpful, they'll resolve any issues you have, if possible. I don't know if it's a national DOT list or each state has their own approved vehicle list or not but here in Florida my tbr7 was found on the "list" by the clerk under - Zhejiang Taotao Vehicles Co., Ltd. Also take a picture of the DOT plate near rear axle.

Old 05-30-2021, 10:40 PM   #3

Looks like I'll be heading to Washington Co from Hardin Co. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 05-31-2021, 03:28 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to willardnigma Send a message via MSN to willardnigma Send a message via Yahoo to willardnigma
The DMV for bellfountain will title them. Only problem I had is they misread the MCO and at first tried to title it as a scooter not legal for roads over 35mph.

I corrected them and it got it fixed right away.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT. I repeat DO NOT DRIVE THE BIKE UP THERE!. feel free to bring on a truck or trailer. I've seena guy drive his bike up there to prove it and he got busted for no tags or insurance.

Last edited by willardnigma; 05-31-2021 at 04:40 PM.