Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2020, 10:25 PM   #1

Brake lever flop

Any tips on getting the rear brake lever to engage? I changed a flat and when I got everything back together the brake lever just bottoms out instead of engaging the pads. I took the caliper off the disk a few times, wiggled the pads, cleaned it a little and still nothing. I then tried replacing the fluid twice and still nothing. I’m guessing the problem is inside the bronze painted device.

This happened last year or the year before exact same scenario but it fixed itself on the second day. This time I’m not getting so lucky. It has something to do with being as simple as removing the 2 caliper bolts to get the wheel off. I feel like there’s a plunger in there or something that needs to drop. The brake lever pin is just sitting loose inside and hitting what sounds like metal.
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,

Old 03-24-2020, 10:28 PM   #2

Forgot my pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 98DACDBD-DE23-4DC9-A8F7-9C15495AA2C1.jpg (17.1 KB, 412 views)
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,

Old 03-25-2020, 07:56 AM   #3

Check your fluid level, make sure you have some in it, you could have nicked the piston seal when you were putting the brake back on. Otherwise, everything is bolted up normally? You didn't have to force anything?

Old 03-25-2020, 08:18 AM   #4

It was already full, I drained and refilled it twice just trying to get lucky. Literally all I did was remove the 2 bolts that hold the caliper on to get the flat tire off.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:17 AM   #5

A feller just looked it over and thinks it’s the master cylinder stuck. We couldn’t get the nut loose to try bleeding it.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:22 AM   #6

You will probably need to adjust the linkage. It may not be returning far enough to pump the fluid. I've had that happen once and brake was locked up because it didn't return far enough to release the pressure.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-25-2020, 10:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
You will probably need to adjust the linkage. It may not be returning far enough to pump the fluid. I've had that happen once and brake was locked up because it didn't return far enough to release the pressure.

We finally got the nut loose and did a tighten-loosen bleed process 3-4 times. I then held a can of wd40 upside down and sprayed up into where the piston goes thinking maybe it was just dirty up under the boot. No luck yet.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:04 PM   #8

Alright, I removed everything, washed and rinsed it all, reassembled and filled the fluid. Still nothing. While the cylinder was open I could easily push the plunger down from the top with a pin. From underneath where the foot lever pin presses up in to it there was still no movement.

Im out of ideas.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:45 PM   #9

To the point now where I got the cylinder pumping fluid but not enough to move the pads. I’ve bled it through the nipple and caliper line a dozen times each but it won’t build any high pressures.

Old 03-27-2020, 05:49 AM   #10

I'd disassemble everything and blow air through all the holes. Even take the caliper apart and clean it out. Did it look like it was leaking anywhere, before you did anything?

Old 03-27-2020, 12:39 PM   #11

Yep, I'd take it all back apart again and look everything over. It worked before it was disassembled, correct? I wonder if you have a pad cocked on the caliper or something?
In my mind, it seems the issue would be at the caliper because that what was disassembled to begin with. All the axle spacers in correctly?

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 03-27-2020, 07:14 PM   #12

I did a reverse bleed twice today. Zero bubbles came up in the reservoir.

Everything was working 100% before I changed the flat tire. With the brake caliper all I did was take out the two bolts that hold it to the bike. Replaced the tube and put it back together and it hasn’t worked since. One time I did get the pads to close together by doing multiple repeated pushes on the brake pedal and touch themselves when everything was taken apart during troubleshooting.

It’s had a full bottle of brake fluid pump through it two different directions, I soaked and clean the master cylinder like a boss, the calipers been removed and put back on probably a dozen times. I looked on CSC at the part and it’s 47 something dollars with shipping for a new master cylinder. I have no guarantee of course if that will fix the problem.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:27 PM   #13

Have you isolated it to the master? Maybe disconnect the brake hose from the caliper, tie it upright and see if the Master pumps any fluid.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Rider 27 View Post
Have you isolated it to the master? Maybe disconnect the brake hose from the caliper, tie it upright and see if the Master pumps any fluid.
I’ve got it narrowed down to the caliper. It will close down the pads but not retract itself. I smeared everything I could get to with my pinky in grease and forced it open and closed over and over. It just won’t retract anymore. I assume it’s corroded inside the caliper mech.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:33 PM   #15

Good to hear, you got it narrowed down, that is half the battle. Sounds like one of two things going on either the physical or hydraulic. If it is mechanical then you should be able to remove the line and see no improvement. If hydraulic when you remove the line it should release.