Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2018, 11:41 PM   #1

Doh! Help!! Heavy duty tire / inter tube for hawk 250 dual sport

Hey, I’m a big guy whos 6’4 weight 340 pounds. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any tires and heavy duty tubes for a person my size. In the last 3 months I have replaced my rear inter tube twice I’m thinking because Of my size. Does anyone have any recommendations on upgrade tires and inter tubes for a big guy? Also are there any tubeless tires that may work? Any help would be appreciated. P.S this is for off roading only

Thanks

Old 01-28-2018, 11:58 PM   #2

Tires & Tubes

I’m running IRC Heavy duty tubes and rim strips and Shinko 244 tires. I’m 6 ft and weighing in at around 220-230 with gear. I have had no problems with this setup.

Let us know what you decide to go with.

Ride safe!
-2016 Hawk 250 - Kitty Hawk - eBay exhaust, Mikuni carb(120 main/30 Pilot), airbox mod with K&N filter, digital cluster, total LEDs, 17/45 sprockets, RK chain, Shinko 244 tires, trunk, aftermarket levers, burrito tube, skid plate, Sargent Cycle Seat...
-2003 HD Sportster 100th Anniversary
-1999 Buell X-1 Lightning - Race kit, Buell Seat

Old 01-29-2018, 02:03 AM   #3

As my name implies, I am a fellow Sasquatch. Same height and a bit lighter (260-280 depending on my diet at the time lol).

Tire wise, most off-road tube style tires should be more than up to the task as long as they are at least a 4 ply.

In the realm of Tubes, I have found nothing more durable than Michelin's Ultra Heavy Duty tubes. Better seam design and placement and really thick. They will add quite a bit of weight to the tires, so be prepared for that. As with any tube though, generous amounts of baby powder inside the tire between it and the tube is important.

I would suggest looking over your rear wheel very carefully when you remove the old tube and tire. Check for anything sharp on the inner rim surface that could rub through the tube. Myself and a couple others had this issue. Also check that the spokes are not poking through the rim strip, and/or the rim strip is in good shape and not shifted, others have run into this problem.

My last suggestion, and a way to bypass the whole tube issue all together, would be to drop the coin on a Tubliss setup. You can get the front and rear together in a package for a bit of a savings.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A3TN6L67UOBHZZ

It's pricey for sure, but it's been tested and run with 0psi tire pressure over several miles with no tire or rim damage.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 01-29-2018, 08:36 AM   #4

i am similar in stature, and found good luck with michelin tubes as well... for added security, i would recommend a rear rim lock for the tire as well, as all the flats i had (before switching to cast aluminium one piece supermoto rims and tubeless tires) were the stem pulling out of the tube, due to wheelies (trying to get over obstacles on the trail) and not from punctures...

Old 01-29-2018, 09:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgator View Post
Hey, I’m a big guy whos 6’4 weight 340 pounds. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any tires and heavy duty tubes for a person my size. In the last 3 months I have replaced my rear inter tube twice I’m thinking because Of my size. Does anyone have any recommendations on upgrade tires and inter tubes for a big guy? Also are there any tubeless tires that may work? Any help would be appreciated. P.S this is for off roading only

Thanks
My advice for someone of your size is to instal a rim lock in the rear rim, preferably directly opposite of the hole for the air filler, use talcum powder on the tube, check the rim for spokes coming up farthur than the spoke nipples, check for any sharp metal inside the rim, then air the tube up enough to fill it out before pushing it into the tire. After the tire is mounted, air it up to 40 pounds and let it sit a minute, then let all of the air out, leave everything alone for another minute, then air it up again. I recommend the Pirelli MT-43 rear tire, stuffed with the Michiln tube that Megadan recommended. With that tire-tube combination, you can run 10-15 lbs air in the rear. That's for off road. On road (for distance, or high speed) more pressure....ARH

Last edited by Ariel Red Hunter; 01-29-2018 at 10:00 AM. Reason: wrong word

Old 01-29-2018, 12:22 PM   #6

X3 on Michelin Ultra Heavy Duty tubes. I use a six foot length of Gorilla tape (torn in half lengthwise) as a rim strip. Much better than a rubber rim strip.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-31-2018, 12:06 AM   #7

the hawk tires are pretty heavy duty. probably what your getting like the others have said is punctures from the spokes or the tire spinning on the rim.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 02-02-2018, 12:18 AM   #8

Thanks for all your replies I’m thinking it’s the punctures from the spokes because the tube has a small tear whole in it.ill take a photo of the tube and show it here. This is my first bike so I’m still learning the inns and outs

Old 02-02-2018, 10:21 AM   #9

If the spokes are sticking through the nipples (which is rare), a little Dremel work will fix it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-03-2018, 07:10 PM   #10

plus some duct tape over the whole rim along the nipples on the inside of the rim.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 02-04-2018, 06:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
As my name implies, I am a fellow Sasquatch. Same height and a bit lighter (260-280 depending on my diet at the time lol).

Tire wise, most off-road tube style tires should be more than up to the task as long as they are at least a 4 ply.

In the realm of Tubes, I have found nothing more durable than Michelin's Ultra Heavy Duty tubes. Better seam design and placement and really thick. They will add quite a bit of weight to the tires, so be prepared for that. As with any tube though, generous amounts of baby powder inside the tire between it and the tube is important.

I would suggest looking over your rear wheel very carefully when you remove the old tube and tire. Check for anything sharp on the inner rim surface that could rub through the tube. Myself and a couple others had this issue. Also check that the spokes are not poking through the rim strip, and/or the rim strip is in good shape and not shifted, others have run into this problem.

My last suggestion, and a way to bypass the whole tube issue all together, would be to drop the coin on a Tubliss setup. You can get the front and rear together in a package for a bit of a savings.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A3TN6L67UOBHZZ

It's pricey for sure, but it's been tested and run with 0psi tire pressure over several miles with no tire or rim damage.
Hey megadan thanks for the info Can I use my current hawk rim and tires with this tubeless setup? Or would I need to change the rims and tires ?