Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #1

HAWK Fork HELP!!

So i finally got around to changing my fork oil and to what i thought was going to be an hour job has got me stuck. I started by taking the alan key bolts off and letting it drain the LEFT side came off real smooth but i had trouble getting the RIGHT side off and had to work it.

Well i let them both drain and then started to put the alan key bolts back on... well the RIGHT side went back on, tight, with no problem.

NOW the LEFT side WILL NOT tighten up?! I hate to use this comparison because i CANNOT believe or imagine that a bolt coming off nice, easy and smooth has stripped the slot... but its acting almost like a stripped bolt, just keeps spinning...

ANYONE have a clue what is wrong. i can't figure this out???

Old 05-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #2

Sounds like it might have been cross threaded from the factory and when you broke it free the threads stripped.

Old 05-11-2017, 04:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Sounds like it might have been cross threaded from the factory and when you broke it free the threads stripped.

Thats the only thing i can think of but thats insane that it broke that easily....

Whats a solution? I have to buy an all new fork?....

Old 05-11-2017, 04:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickThrash View Post
So i finally got around to changing my fork oil and to what i thought was going to be an hour job has got me stuck. I started by taking the alan key bolts off and letting it drain the LEFT side came off real smooth but i had trouble getting the RIGHT side off and had to work it.

Well i let them both drain and then started to put the alan key bolts back on... well the RIGHT side went back on, tight, with no problem.

NOW the LEFT side WILL NOT tighten up?! I hate to use this comparison because i CANNOT believe or imagine that a bolt coming off nice, easy and smooth has stripped the slot... but its acting almost like a stripped bolt, just keeps spinning...

Ive read that sometimes you have to use a tool to tighten up that bolt. There is a thread here about your very problem. Look around on site and you should find the info you are looking for.

Old 05-11-2017, 04:24 PM   #5

It's not that surprising to me. Fork cap threads are usually very fine threads. Great for securing the cap and holding the pressure of the fork springs without backing out, but easily damaged. Combine fine threads with what is likely not the highest quality metal, and it wouldn't take a whole lot.
I would say start with what Merlin suggests before moving forward though.

As far as repair - The only thing I would trust would be to at least replace that fork tube, but I don't know if you can just get that tube. Luckily, from what I have seen, the whole right or left fork assembly isn't all that expensive. $55 for one (link below)

http://www.txpowersports.com/ricky_p....100031.01.htm

Old 05-11-2017, 04:31 PM   #6

The piece that the screw goes into is spinning. put the fork cap back on to with the spring to put pressure on it so it doesn't spin. Also go get a new screw and replace that one you have. Here's a thread that will help. http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=18660&page=2
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-11-2017, 04:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
The piece that the screw goes into is spinning. put the fork cap back on to with the spring to put pressure on it so it doesn't spin. Also go get a new screw and replace that one you have. Here's a thread that will help. http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=18660&page=2

Hey thanks, i did already try with the caps on thinking the pressure would help, but that didnt work

Old 05-11-2017, 04:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Hey thanks, i did already try with the caps on thinking the pressure would help, but that didnt work
try adding shims like washers or quarters to put more pressure. Go to the hardware store and get a new screw and a tap to chase the threads.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-11-2017, 04:44 PM   #9

Quote:

Is the problem internal to the fork leg, or to the triple tree and tightening it back in place?...ARH

Old 05-11-2017, 04:46 PM   #10

Check this post out. It will explain what is going on.

http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=18660

You need to stop the piston from spinning. Get a new bolt as suggested and try the broom handle trick or the putting a section of pvc pipe in to put some tension on the parts. I've had this problem in the past and had to re-tap the hole and re-thread the bolt. Keep at it, you'll get it.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 05-11-2017, 04:47 PM   #11

Are talking about the dampening rod allen bolt on the bottom of the fork? I was thinking it was the spring cap at the top. Ignore my entire last post lol.

For the dampening rod side of things. I use my tried and true wooden broom handle. Has never failed me, but it's a good idea to do this and get the bolts at least snug before filling with oil or assembly. Once the springs are back in and caps installed, then you should be able to properly tighten it.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:09 PM   #12

Broom handle trick ( bht) is the answer .

Old 05-11-2017, 05:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Are talking about the dampening rod allen bolt on the bottom of the fork? I was thinking it was the spring cap at the top. Ignore my entire last post lol.

For the dampening rod side of things. I use my tried and true wooden broom handle. Has never failed me, but it's a good idea to do this and get the bolts at least snug before filling with oil or assembly. Once the springs are back in and caps installed, then you should be able to properly tighten it.

ya im talking about the little alan bolt at the bottom

Old 05-11-2017, 05:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by david3921 View Post
Check this post out. It will explain what is going on.

http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=18660

You need to stop the piston from spinning. Get a new bolt as suggested and try the broom handle trick or the putting a section of pvc pipe in to put some tension on the parts. I've had this problem in the past and had to re-tap the hole and re-thread the bolt. Keep at it, you'll get it.

thanks for the support! looks like i might have gotten it to thread.. it went snug and i didnt want to apply too much more force but gave it a good little bit. So for now its on and not leaking but im not entirely positive it is 100% fixed

Old 05-12-2017, 02:46 AM   #15

Sounds like you undone the damping rod bolts .. are not drain bolts..

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com