Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2017, 07:18 PM   #1

Chain guides (need photos)

Looks like I have all the bugs worked out on my Bravo 110cc ATV for the meantime. I know I have mentioned this in another post but is there any way to prevent the chain from rubbing against the swing arm and frame?

In the photo below after replacing the swing arm bolt and bearings, the chain was rubbing both the swing arm and frame. I slackened the chain so when my daughter and I sit on it, the chain no longer rubs but I'm sure when the quad bounces up, the chain tightens up. Or so I think it does.

Here is a chain tightener I found on Ebay.

My guess is it overlaps the swing arm bolt. I'm not having any issues with the chain flying off, just rubbing. I don't know if using one of these to push the guide upwards would prevent the chain from rubbing the frame.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:32 PM   #2

There was member here (and on MCM) named forchetto that installed one of those guides on his Qlink. I checked for the post but the photos are gone. I remember that he attached it to the lower chain guide, facing forward. I don't think that the pictured will be able to attach at the swing arm bolt because the angle might not be right.

I've seen guides that wrap around the front of the swing arm, around the bolt, on the top and bottom to allow the chain to rub.

edit: found one. Called a chain slider.

http://www.motosport.com/ktm-powerparts-chain-slider

You might try installing the pictured guide with a pipe clamp on the swing arm. Your swing arm is round and a clamp with bolts at top and bottom might allow two guides. Something like this might work.

http://image.ec21.com/image/nbrunner...ontal_Pipe.jpg

Or this if you wanted to use one;

https://www.trivantage.com/itemfiles.../lg/112842.jpg
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 04-06-2017, 06:54 AM   #3

I noticed if I pull up on the chain above the swing arm, it pulls the chain up away from the frame. So maybe attaching a roller to the bar on the swing arm with a U-bolt may do the job.

On my 49cc pit bike, the chain doesn't rub anything but I had an issue where the chain would fly off when I'd hit a hard bump so I cut a piece of Telfon in an L-shape and attached to to a piece of metal and bolted it to where one of the flares was bolted. Sorry for the bad photo. I snipped it from a 10 year old YouTube video.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (90.5 KB, 613 views)

Old 04-06-2017, 10:58 AM   #4

chain tighter

the pic that has the roller needs to have a post welded to the frame for the roller to go onto.. it is bolted on .. the trouble with it is it can be bent alittle and get out of aline.. they make it that way on that style... you can add sliders.. rollers .. you will see when you sit on it it does not touch.. so a smaller shock???? use the slide shown in the pic from a dirt bike???

Old 04-07-2017, 08:47 AM   #5

Got an idea.

I found a big piece of Teflon at work. My idea is to cut it down to where it's about an inch thick, or just enough to where the chain won't touching the frame or swing arm with no weight on the quad and attach it on top of the bar between the swing arm and axle (if that makes sense). I'll post some photos once I get it installed.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:19 AM   #6

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...996773748.html
No need to reinvent the world ,this is exactly what you need .

Old 04-08-2017, 06:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce's View Post
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...996773748.html
No need to reinvent the world ,this is exactly what you need .
That would work if the chain was rubbing the arm but it's rubbing where round piece on the swing arm that holds the bearing.

I'm starting to wonder if simply installing a shorter shock would take care of the problem. It seems the rear end is jacked up too far and bringing the rear end up would align the chain better with the sprockets.

Like I said this is with the chain adjusted too tight. It's not like this when I sit on it. I'm just not sure if the chain rubs when I hit a bump. I guess I could take a marker and go over this section and check to see if some the ink is rubbing off.

Another thought was to tether the rear end with a cable or something so the spring doesn't try to decompress when I hit a bump.

Here's a different photo:

Old 04-08-2017, 07:12 AM   #8

I've used a piece of automotive serpentine belt held in place by a couple hose clamps as a chain slider. It's very tough and lasts a long time.

Old 04-08-2017, 09:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbofiat124 View Post
That would work if the chain was rubbing the arm but it's rubbing where round piece on the swing arm that holds the bearing.

I'm starting to wonder if simply installing a shorter shock would take care of the problem. It seems the rear end is jacked up too far and bringing the rear end up would align the chain better with the sprockets.

Like I said this is with the chain adjusted too tight. It's not like this when I sit on it. I'm just not sure if the chain rubs when I hit a bump. I guess I could take a marker and go over this section and check to see if some the ink is rubbing off.

Another thought was to tether the rear end with a cable or something so the spring doesn't try to decompress when I hit a bump.

Here's a different photo:

If you are saying that the chain is rubbing the swing arm on the front pivot that you have repaired ,then what I posted is exactly what you need ,although I would use a plastic one .It covers both the top and bottom of the pivot .

Old 04-09-2017, 06:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
I've used a piece of automotive serpentine belt held in place by a couple hose clamps as a chain slider. It's very tough and lasts a long time.
I threw away the old serpentine belt off my Chevy van but still have an old Fiat timing belt I used for various things I could try.

The piece of Teflon is I have is free and I have access to a band saw to cut it down.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce's View Post
If you are saying that the chain is rubbing the swing arm on the front pivot that you have repaired ,then what I posted is exactly what you need ,although I would use a plastic one .It covers both the top and bottom of the pivot .
That piece would prevent the upper side of chain from rubbing the swing arm pivot but can't see it preventing the chain from rubbing into the frame where it makes a bend.

I may have measured the length of the shock incorrectly. I thought it was 300 mm but may actually be closer to 250 mm.

Here is a 250 mm length shock that should raise the swing arm upwards a bit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252496759262...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Just looking at my photo, it appears the chain is not straight when on the sprockets. My theory is if the swing arm is raised up a bit by using a shorter shock, the chain will be straight from sprocket to sprocket.

I'm going to disconnect the shock from the lower mount and place a jack under the center of the ATV to support it then move the swing arm upwards to simulate a 250 mm shock and see what effect this has on the chain alignment up and down.

In other words, if I used an incorrect length shock what effect would this have on the chain alignment?

As mentioned after installing the new swing arm bolt, bearings and new shock, I had to really slacken the chain afterwards in order to install the master link. This tells me something has changed for the chain to tighten up that much just from installing new parts. The chain tension should not have changed. Why did it change?

Old 04-09-2017, 07:10 AM   #12

Teflon should work fine as would the timing belt.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:46 AM   #13

Sorry ,I didn't notice the frame rub as well .How about a piece of heater hose around the frame ,might not last a real long time but it's inexpensive and easily replaceable .

Old 04-09-2017, 04:42 PM   #14

"That piece would prevent the upper side of chain from rubbing the swing arm pivot but can't see it preventing the chain from rubbing into the frame where it makes a bend."

Turbo, I was looking at the pictures of your ATV on your other thread. I noticed that the frame on the left side is nice and straight from the front to the swing arm. The right side doesn't follow the same lines. Is it possible that the frame is bent out where the chain is rubbing?
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 04-09-2017, 06:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by david3921 View Post
"That piece would prevent the upper side of chain from rubbing the swing arm pivot but can't see it preventing the chain from rubbing into the frame where it makes a bend."

Turbo, I was looking at the pictures of your ATV on your other thread. I noticed that the frame on the left side is nice and straight from the front to the swing arm. The right side doesn't follow the same lines. Is it possible that the frame is bent out where the chain is rubbing?
That's a good question. When I had the body off the frame, the entire frame looks crooked, even the fuel tank sits cockeyed. These are the best photos I have of the frame with the body off.

There is another thing to throw into the mix. The rear shock. I needed a shock with 15 mm ends. The one I found had 30 mm ends so it wouldn't fit the mounts on the frame and swing arm. So I had to grind the ends down a bit to make it fit and use some flat washers as spacers. Not something I really wanted to do.

I noticed that if I push down on the rear end, it wants to squat toward the left. Riding it, I can't feel it.

I'm not sure if this is because the shock is actually compressing off to an angle inside of perfectly up and down. Or it's because the frame is not straight.

I really need make sure I have the correct length shock on this thing and it may correct everything.

But yes for some reason the frame is not straight. But I can't tell that it's actually bent. I think it just left that way from the factory.

Otherwise despite the amount of work I've put into this thing (it was free to begin with) this thing is a blast to ride.

Actually I ride my daughter around on it. She's not yet six and I haven't gotten the nerve to turn her loose on it by herself but I can reduce the throttle travel so it goes at a snail's pace. I just need to find some flat land until she masters the brake.

She's kind of scared of my Polaris because it needs a new muffler and is loud.