Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2016, 02:45 PM   #1

Moto camping setup

Since I want to do a bunch of moto camping next year and beyond, I've been reading, researching and purchasing what I'll need. Next year my planned long trip is the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route. 8 days total. In 2018 I plan on taking the Alaska ferry up to Wittier and then riding to Anchorage and then up to Prudhoe Bay and then back down to Seattle. I have all my gear now and with everything that would go on the bike (Tools, clothing, camping gear, food, water) the weight was adding up quick. Like 120 pounds worth. I want to keep the weight as low as possible but also bring some of it up front in a safe manor thus I have put on the two Agri supply tool tubes low on the bike that I've posted pictures of before. In those tubes I have most of my tools and an MSR Fuel bottle. I upgraded to the Tourfella luggage and in the panniers I have my heavy stuff. I built straps that also work as handles on top of each of the pieces of luggage so I can put on dry bags that will hold soft items. The top case will contain my sleeping gear. In the pillion dry bag I will have my tent in a dry bag that contains inside it a small dry bag for the rain fly...so I don't get the rest of the tent wet. Up front I put an expandable tank bag and I found a sale at Pet and Horse for some saddle bags ($13 + shipping) that I have put up front as panniers. In those I plan to put other softer items like clothing, jackets, etc so nothing gets broken in a crash. The tank bag will hold items I want quick access to. I did a dry run of putting everything on the bike...including me and it was an extra 260 pounds on top of the bikes base weight. The bike is rated for 330 pounds of extra load. If I add the fact that I have other farkles on the bike like the skid plate and stuff I feel like I'm pretty much at the top end of what I can carry but I also feel I have everything accounted for. My wife is going to help me with some sag measurements so I can adjust the rear suspension when holding this load.

Since I've never done any moto camping I wanted to get the opinion and suggestions of the group on this type of setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5422.jpg (96.8 KB, 385 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5423.jpg (97.5 KB, 366 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5424.jpg (96.5 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5425.jpg (96.2 KB, 329 views)

Old 12-09-2016, 02:55 PM   #2

That looks AWESOME!!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-09-2016, 04:13 PM   #3

Sweet setup.I would definitely spring for the Progressive Shock with that load.

Money well spent.Not sure if they are still running their 20% discount ?

Old 12-09-2016, 04:28 PM   #4

Wow! That looks like a fantastic set up! Have you done any test runs or overnight trips on your set up yet? Might help to sort out the gear list and cut weight.

Looking to do something similar on the TT250 albeit a minimalist approach (think ultralight backpacking) for backcountry camping on National Forest land and elk bow hunting trips. I'm looking into ditching a tent for a hammock and tarp set up. Carry a water filter (sawyer mini) instead of hauling water, etc. Gotta wait til the snow clears now before I get some practice runs in.

Rojo

Old 12-09-2016, 04:32 PM   #5

Looks great! I love those saddlebags, I would actually consider those instead of my factory boxes for camping. To ME, (and just me) its too much stuff. I'd pare everything down to just the stuff on the back of the bike.

Fwiw, if you need a new Fly Patrol jacket in orange (looks great with the bike) pm me...I'm selling mine. It's a mens M. (no armor in this model, but amazing venting)

Old 12-09-2016, 05:18 PM   #6

+1 on the Progressive Shock. CSC now offers a softer spring that has a wide range of resistance, much better than the original spring on the Progressive Shock. As for all that gear, I bet you could cut way back on everything. I have done a bit of motorcycle camping and almost always get home to find stuff I never used. Hammock camping gets me off the ground so I can camp on a slope or in rough terrain. Cooking becomes the biggest issue due to the stuff needed...heat source, pot/pan, cleanup stuff, etc. With all that said, it sounds like a grand adventure.

Peter Y.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:20 PM   #7

Rojo, I haven't done any test trips yet as we also have snow right now. My first "camping" won't be till closer to summer and will do some test runs before the WABDR. I also have a gun rack mount on the back and can carry my AR-15 or M1 Carbine...Or my 870 Remmington Shotgun.

AdventureDad, I will probably use them for some trips instead of the hard luggage. I tested and they line up perfectly to attach to the back and strap to the Tourfella mounts. Until I do some more research and testing I'm not sure what I can cut down on yet but I really wanted the front bags to help move some of the weight forward so I have better control of the bike on the road. Don't want to be in a situation where the front is light so it doesn't turn. I think the biggest thing for weight reduction will be camping with a group and then deciding who brings what instead of each of us having a jetboil for example. Since all my friends have fairly large adventure bikes I can just get them to carry most of the heavy stuff :-)
Thanks for the offer on the jacket, I'm an XS or S but I also have a few jackets now. Pure rubber rain suit, warm and water-resistant jacket and pants and a mesh jacket and MX pants. I also just got a heated jacket and glove liners wired into the bike and they work AWESOME! Anything more than medium setting and I'm roasting, and that was in 33 degrees. Found the jacket liner on Amazon on a closeout for $90 and the glove liners on Revzilla for $53. Most of the time it's a pain being really small but sometimes deals like this make it O.K.!

Inroads, I keep going back and forth on the progressive shock. I think I'll do one of my test runs in the spring and make the decision then based the results. In general I haven't felt like I needed it since I weigh just 120 but this camping load may push me into it.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:53 PM   #8

By the way, here is what I plan on carrying on the trips:

Moto Camping Packing List
  • Carriers
30L Drybag
3 x 10L Drybags
2 x 5L Drybags
Tank Bag
2 x Tourfella Panniers
Top Case
2 x Farm Tubes
Horse Panniers
CamelBak
  • Food
Energy bars
Gels/Chews
Mountain House Foods
Water - In Camelback with Bladder
Water - 1L bottle
  • Tools & Misc.
Tool bag (Primary Tools)
MSR Fuel Bottle
Tool Utility Pouch (glues, wire, rope, etc)
Electric Air pump
Tire Pressure Gauge
2 x First Aid kits (Primary and Critical)
Motorcycle Recovery System
Jump Starter
Large tire lever
2 x Bead breaker/levers
3 Bead Buddies
Chain Tool
Flashlight
Engine oil - 2 quarts
Clip-style master link
Spare chain
Fuses
Chain lube
2 x Spare inner-tubes (Front and Rear)
Spare levers
Spare Pedals
Spare Cables
Spare fasteners
Spark Plug
Spare Keys
Rotor Lock/Alarm
Cable Lock
Moto Rain Cover
Injector Cleaner
Collapsible Funnel
Quick change oil kit
Oil Filter
  • Books, Maps, Software and Passes
Maps
Discover Pass
NW Forest Pass
Offline Ride w/GPS routes
Avenza PDF GPS Topo maps
  • Camping Gear
Sleeping bag
Pillow
Sleeping Pad
Tent
Folding hand saw or cable saw- Garage
Water filter
Water purification tablets
Lighter - Make sure it's charged
Magnesium Striker
Can opener
Cotton balls with Vaseline
Headlamp
USB Camp Lantern - Motorhome
Stove
Stove fuel bottle
Bowl/Cup kit
Spork
Camp chair - Motorhome
Toilet Trowel
Bungee Cords - Garage
Tie down straps
Binoculars - Motorhome
Garbage Bags
Bear Spray - Motorhome
Gun, spare mag, ammo, concealed weapons permit
Compression Sacks
  • Personal
Deodorant - Home
Eye Mask - Home
Ear plugs - Home
CampSuds
Toothpaste - Home
Toothbrush - Home
Lip balm
Camp Towel
Wash cloth
Toilet paper
Sunscreen - Home
Bug spray - Motorhome
Wet wipes
Sun glasses
Folding Reading glasses-House
Passport if going into Canada or Mexico
Money (credit cards & cash)
  • Riding gear and Camp Clothing
Rain Jacket
Rain Pant
Riding socks
Casual socks
Zip pants/shorts
Short sleeve technical Tee
Swim trunks
Flip flops/sandals
Tennis Shoes
Summer Riding Jersey
Winter Riding Jersey
Down jacket
Technical Underwear
Beanie cap
Folding Baseball cap
Compression Sacks
Helmet
Neck Brace
Bluetooth Audio
MX Boots
Boot Gaiters
Boot Rain covers
Summer Gloves
Winter Gloves
Heated Glove Liners
Protective Shorts
Roost Jacket
Knee Guards or Braces
Knee warmers
Arm Warmers
Long sleeve base Layer
Long John Bottoms
Heavy Moto Jacket
Heated Jacket Liner
Mesh Moto Jacket
Mesh Jacket Waterproof Liner
Heavy Moto Pants
MX Pants
Balaclava
Neck gator
CamelBak
Water Bladder
Ear plugs
  • Gadgets
iPhone
USB battery
Mini USB, Micro USB, Lightening USB Cables
Contour Camera
Spare Micro SD cards
Spot Gen3
Spare spot batteries
iPhone tripod / Bluetooth trigger
SAE to dual USB adapter

Old 12-09-2016, 06:41 PM   #9

Right off the bat I can tell you to leave the weapons at home. That is a sure fire way to get into deep shit when you cross the boarder into Canada. Our neighbors to the north do not have a sense of humor about firearms (or bear spray, either) and they do not care about a concealed carry permit...in fact that would be a huge red flag all by itself. I got grilled at the boarder just because I am a retired Army officer. Evidently that in itself was proof I was carrying a weapon.

Peter Y.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:44 PM   #10

I second Peter's advice on leaving weapons at home - you will instantly be turned away at the border. I've had friends turned away for that and far less.
IBA#65836

2005 BMW F650gs
2008 Yamaha XT250
2013 Yamaha XT250
2009 Suzuki Gladius

Old 12-09-2016, 10:52 PM   #11

I understand about the weapons in Canada...and even Oregon as they don't have a reciprocity agreement with Washington for concealed weapons. I could carry open there though but I don't do that. The gun and bear spray will be for trips in Washington.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:14 AM   #12

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 12-10-2016, 08:21 AM   #13

Hi Joe,

Looks like you are prepared for a 'round the world trip!

I noticed the wrap-around hand guards. Which brand did you choose?

And were they a bolt-on, or did you need to modify the mounts?

Thanks.

jb

Old 12-10-2016, 11:57 AM   #14

The hand guards are some cheap ones I ordered off eBay. I had to do a lot of mods to get them on. Primarily every wrap set I tried would hit the windscreen when I turned. So I decided to buy cheap and mod them. First, the mid bar mount wasn't long enough to get past the levers so I used the ones from the CSC handguards. I cut down the length of the new hand guard alum bar to clear the screen and then drilled holes in the bar to match up with the bolt holes in the CSC mounts and bolted them in. In the end of the bar, it was lucky that the expansion sleeve fit perfectly. The wrap also clears the levers without having to de-ball them. I will take a few pics and post in a bit with a link to the guards.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:08 PM   #15

If you carry "mace/pepper spray" make sure you bring the right stuff... almost all other brands of spray has the wrong propellant and chances are when you need it the most... it wont spray the best... or at all due to the propellant leaking over time

Look into "Cold Steel Inferno" Pepper Spray, has 2,000,000 SHU

Watch some videos of their amazing product below

https://www.coldsteelarizona.com/c/3...o-pepper-spray

http://www.coldsteelarizona.com/c/12/state-laws

On a side note... Cold Steel weapons are amazing

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Tags
adv, camping, touring