Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2016, 10:28 PM   #1

Thumbs Up Been lurking for a while now, looking fed to being an owner/rider

Hiya!

Like the title says, I've been lurking for a month or two, and have found this forum and it's members to be a great resource for those of us looking to own and maintain some of the most loved, pain in the ass bikes on the planet. ��

I got bit by the China bike bug while looking for a couple cheap atvs for my daughters for this coming Christmas. Upon doing my research, it dawned on me: "If I bought a 4wheeler, a mid sized pit bike, AND a dual sport for Daddy, the three of us can hit trails TOGETHER. Not only that, but I could then make my 7 mile commute to work saving money on gas by not taking my Grand Cherokee"

My initial bite from the bug came via Motocheeze's Hawk250 videos on YouTube, but as of the last 2 or 3 weeks, I really feel that my money would be better spent on a counterbalanced configuration found in a Brozz. I absolutely love the orange, the inverted forks, and the "upgraded" instrument cluster right out of the box. My only concern right now, is my confusion of the engine's "base"

I remember reading how the Hawk's engine was based on the Suzuki power plant, making the aftermarket parts a lot easier to come by (www.hawk250.com)

What's available to the counterbalanced motors found in the Storm250 and Brozz machines?

Sorry so long-winded, just trying to be an educated consumer....

Have a good one, nice to meet ya!
-Eric in WNY

Old 11-20-2016, 11:46 PM   #2

Welcome to here! The engines in most all of these bikes are Honda-ish, loosely based on the CG125. The only Chinese bike having an engine loosely based on a Suzuki engine is the SSR XF250. I think you made a wise choice with the Brozz. Member SANY has one and is located in New York. Not sure if you know him, or know of him from here on Chinariders. Where did you purchase yours from?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-21-2016, 05:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Welcome to here! The engines in most all of these bikes are Honda-ish, loosely based on the CG125. The only Chinese bike having an engine loosely based on a Suzuki engine is the SSR XF250. I think you made a wise choice with the Brozz. Member SANY has one and is located in New York. Not sure if you know him, or know of him from here on Chinariders. Where did you purchase yours from?
I haven't purchased the Brozz yet, but I've narrowed it down to two online vendors. I get the feeling that having a good or bad experience with these bike retailers is somewhat of a crap shoot. SANY got his Brozz from a retailer with mixed reviews, and although he waited extra time for his paperwork to license the bike, he sounds like he is overall satisfied with the transaction.

As far as SANY goes, I found his YouTube vids first, then found his thread on here just last night. He's in central NY if memory serves, right? I'm in WNY, roughly half way between Buffalo and Rochester.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:05 AM   #4

Big Welcome to BigWeld

Welcome to the forum! Glad you found a resource that is as full of information as this one. There's a couple lifetime's worth of reading here, if you're so inclined. I just picked up a Hawk, so my review and opinions are likely to be a little more one sided. I've had mine for about three weeks and 400 miles now. I ordered all the upgrades (carb jets, spark plug, cluster, chain and sprockets, and exhaust) at the same time I ordered the Hawk. I simply did all the upgrades as I was assembling the bike. I'm not sure about registering the Brozz or the Hawk in NY state, however here is a pretty good overview of the issues I had with my Hawk in Georgia http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17627. I am really very happy with the Hawk, and for $1,700 for the bike and all the upgrades, it's hard to go wrong. Feel free to reach out to me (or anyone else on the forum for that matter) with any questions, and we'll do our best to get you pointed in the right direction. Happy Thanksgiving!

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 11-21-2016, 09:11 AM   #5

welcome!

I don't blame you for thinking counterbalanced, and inverted forks are nice too. However, at trail speeds, the non-counterbalanced engine isn't really offensive to me. the vibes are most noticable when you crank it up to 6-7k RPM.

either way...enjoy it!!!

Old 11-21-2016, 09:24 AM   #6

Good point, Sport Rider. I haven't really noticed any uncomfortable issues with the Hawk and the simple non-cb engine. I prefer simplicity and ease of maintenance over comfort. I'm much happier knowing that I can fix just about anything out on the trail with duct tape and bailing wire rather than need special tools to get the beast running to take me home. IMO, you just can't beat a simple bulletproof design. That's why all my bikes are carbureted, air cooled, and for the most part light on the electrical wizardry. To each their own though, most people I meet are very happy to talk about how/why you set your bike up a particular way.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 11-21-2016, 12:17 PM   #7

Welcome!

I recommend that you research which bikes can be registered in your State and go from there. Counter-balanced would be nice, but it comes with some added complexity.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer