Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2016, 12:18 PM   #1

Should I do a CV Carb slide drill mod?

I ordered a jet kit for my XF250 that came with a drill bit and instructions to enlarge the hole in the carb slide. The carburetor is a Teikei MV30, nearly identical to the one used on the Zongshen Sierra 200 and Yamaha TW200 models(MV28 I believe).

Has anyone done this and if so what was your experience? I have read that this is a popular mod on Harley CV carbs, but haven't seen much about this topic here. Thanks!

Update: After looking at a few KLR forums on this mod I drilled the slide and cut the needle spring a tad. I also put in a bigger pilot jet that came in the kit.

The bike still starts up ok, and idles ok. I do notice quicker throttle response and more power around the 3k-4k rpm range.

Last edited by dh; 10-29-2016 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Update

Old 10-30-2016, 12:20 PM   #2

Thanks for sharing that mod. I have a similar carb on my TW, and I'll be looking for performance enhancements like that. What size did you drill it out to?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-30-2016, 11:12 PM   #3

Weld, I used a 1/32" bit to do this mod. I have also cut the needle spring about 1/16".

There was no noticeable change in throttle response after cutting the spring.

Old 10-31-2016, 02:46 PM   #4

Glad to hear it worked. I've done that mod on many HD's and it seems to work fairly well, but HD's rev so slowly anyway. I'm not a big CV carb fan to begin with, but you can do things to make the respond more briskly. My '09 XP200 actually came with a real Mikuni CV. There are some mods for that one as well. It's hard to beat a cable tugging on a slide for response, over vacuum pulling the slide up. My Q Link revs more quickly now but still not a quickly as my CG motors.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 11-11-2016, 03:28 PM   #5

XP200 Can't Remove Screws to Carburetor

Anyone know how to remove the screws to the carburetor or can provide a product that can clean the carb without taking it out (XP200) that has been sitting for 18 months with gas...guessing it is clogged.

Thanks!

Old 11-11-2016, 06:02 PM   #6

You could try this type https://www.walmart.com/ip/17491945?...&wl13=&veh=sem

Just needs to get in there to the Jets. Too Long and may melt seals nothing sure thing but will help melt the varnished fuel if you don't want to take apart. But for 18 months? Good luck

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 11-14-2016, 01:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro2020 View Post
Anyone know how to remove the screws to the carburetor or can provide a product that can clean the carb without taking it out (XP200) that has been sitting for 18 months with gas...guessing it is clogged.

Thanks!
The float bowl screws? Do yourself a favor and get some small vise grips, lock them on the screw heads and twist to break them loose. You'll probably just strip them with a screwdriver.

The dang CV carb on these are so temperamental to sitting. The pilot jets clog up quickly. My Mikuni CV on my Q Link is real bad about sitting and even if I don't ride it for months, I start it and get it hot at least once every couple weeks just to keep it ungunked.

Once you can access the float bowl screws and get them broke loose for the first time, the only saving grace is you don't have to remove the carb thereafter to access the float bowl. Just remove the throttle cables, loosen the intake and air filter clamps and spin it sideways with the bottom of the carb pointing out the right side of the bike. Makes for easier cleaning down the road.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 11-14-2016, 02:14 PM   #8

It's ok to leave gas in the tank for many months, but make sure to run the carb dry with the engine idling and drain the float bowl if your carb has a drain screw if the bike is going to sit for anything more than a few days. With the tiny pilot jets these small bikes have, they will clog in no time. I also don't use gas from the tank if it has sat for a month or more.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTERLIMITS View Post
It's ok to leave gas in the tank for many months, but make sure to run the carb dry with the engine idling and drain the float bowl if your carb has a drain screw if the bike is going to sit for anything more than a few days. With the tiny pilot jets these small bikes have, they will clog in no time. I also don't use gas from the tank if it has sat for a month or more.

Add stabilizer, Turn off the petcock, Start it up cold, by the time it warms up at all it will have used up all the gas in the bowl.. Let her sit till spring..

Dump the gas from thr tank and run it in your lawn mower.. put new gas in the bike turn on the petcock and fire it up.. I like to leave fuel in a metal tank, to prevent rust. even if it goes bad.. A plastic tank should be emptied out for long term storage.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:02 AM   #10

Should be a good start to your gasoline storage woes most "Stabilizer" products claim 12 to 24 months of stabilized fuel

http://www.schaefferoil.com/neutra-fuel-stabilizer.html

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/sta-bil-360-marine

http://www.starbrite.com/startron

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.