Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-25-2013, 12:17 AM   #1

get a GREAT sounding exhaust for your bike easily...

**MODS this thread is currently a work in progress, i will edit it to have pics of everything i can possibly get now that i installed the silencer. i intend this to become a How-To thread once it is finished**

well, i picked up a FMF powercore2 for a ktm 96 250,and did a bit ofmodding to make it fit my Shineray/rocketa DB07a style lifanoid, and i am very happy with the results...

to install the new silencer theres a few things you will need.

the new silencer
Tiger Patch
a cutting tool such as a cut off wheel or a hacksaw or bandsaw
1- inch and a half or 38mm exhaust clamp
basic wrenches for removal and installation of the exhaust

botht e tiger patch and the exhaust clamp are readily available at your local parts store

step one, find a pipe for a Ktm 250 smoker (i got a powercore, i would assume a turbine core, quietcore, etc would all be relatively the same, just how loud or quiet it will be) the powercore2 part # is FMF # 025025

step 2, cut the lead pipe off just after the bend, all you need is the straight piece, you dont need the bend. i used an air cutt off tool, a hacksaw or angle grinder would also do the trick, or if you got fancy tools like a metal cutting bandsaw that works too...

step 3 cut just the stock muffler off the stock leadpipe. mine had a cone shape thing leading into the muffler, i cut it off right before the cone thing, (sorry i forgot to get pics, will edit them in later) so the lead pipe was as long as it could be and still be the uniform diameter.
step 4, cut 4 1/2-1" slots in the factory pipe, so it can crush down easier on the new pipe.

step 5 put the stock leadpipe back on the bike, sans muffler

step 6 test fit the new silencer in the slip fit you created in step 4, and test mount the silencer, the front mount on the silencer should match up with the stock muffler mount.

step 7 remove the silencer, and place a few wraps of Tiger Tape around the new silencers leadpipe end. this will create a gasket seal with the stock leadpipe,and not require any welding.

step 8 place the exhaust clamp on the stock lead pipe and slip the now tiger patch wrapped lead pipe back in.

step 9 attach the silencer to the stock exhaust mount. tighten down the exhaust clamp

step 10...enjoy the new beefy sound of your China Bike (and rejet the carb as needed...it will need it...)

and for comparison to the stock, i had a bit of a leak, but you get the idea.... it sounds like a stinking scooter....