Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2016, 08:27 AM   #1

It's Electrifying.

Just being a smartass.

Truth be told, my kids took the grandsons to see my folks this week in northern Wisconsin. They hadn't yet met Owen and they can't get enough of Eli. I guess fun was had by all.

Dad sent down his old Generac(here's the 'Electrifying' part)generator for me to take a look at. This is one that survived the rollover accident Mom and Dad were in several years ago.

He said he was using it and it just quit running. He checked and it only had 20 psi of compression. He'd taken it to a couple of local repair shops and was told "because it was so old, it couldn't be fixed". Twice. No one even took the time to look at it.

So, it gets to me. I only have a 'three handed compression gauge' (I need to do something about that), so I do the 'Thumb over the spark plug hole test'. Yup, very little compression. Poured some Sea Foam in the cylinder and tried the thumb test again. No better but I now have Sea Foam leaking out the carb. Intake valve stuck open? Put the borescope down the hole and see lots of carbon deposits but the cylinder looks pretty good. It's a flat head Robin engine, so I can't see the valves. Next step is to pull the head.

Yuck! Wish I'd had my camera. Besides the heavy carbon deposits, there was some fibrous brown stuff, like little hair balls, in the deposits. Some of those settled on the intake valve seat. There was the compression loss. Fifteen minutes worth of scraping and wiring brushing had everything cleaned up.

I put the head back on, installed the minimum of stuff to try starting it, and pulled the rope. It started on the third pull. And smoked bad. Guess I also got some Sea Foam down the exhaust and into the muffler because it cleared up in about ten minutes. No skeeters for awhile.

I call my Dad and tell him it's running. He's happy and want's to know what I did. I tell him and he says "Well, you got a generator. You were gonna end up with it anyway. Next time you come up, though, bring it with so we can show those clowns at the shop what little it took to fix it." That's my Dad, a vindictive old cuss.

So, I have a free generator that is in need of a wheel kit. It's a heavy bugger. I haven't tossed the dual rear wheels from the mini bike yet so I think I have a head start on that.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 09-17-2016, 10:07 AM   #2

Nicely done! I figured you were going to say it had a burned exhaust valve. Congrats on the new generator.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-17-2016, 04:23 PM   #3

Been a busy day keeping Eli entertained. Somehow we traded Eli's dog for Eli. I've been rode hard and put away wet. I am now, apparently, a jumping off base for Rescue Bots.

Anyway, I managed a pic of the generator this morning before Eli woke up.

Finding info online was a bit frustrating but I did find that it was also sold through Sears as a Kenmore Portable Generator and downloaded the manual from them. Sears also has the air filter available, which this needs. Also learned that it could be had with either a B&S or Kawasaki engines. So, Kaw, not Robin.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 09-19-2016, 07:06 AM   #4

Mystery solved as to the fuzzy brown hairballs. Disintegrated foam air filter.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 09-19-2016, 08:13 AM   #5

disintegrated air filter in a generator... and fuzzy hair balls in the valves? were there any mouse bones in there too?

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250

Old 09-19-2016, 08:42 AM   #6

I think we'd have smelled that cooking.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 09-20-2016, 10:49 AM   #7

Are the two 120VAC outlets on different legs of the transformer? If so, you could make an adapter to power 220VAC devices.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-20-2016, 12:17 PM   #8

Great story.

Shame on the lazy shops for not thinking this through and looking into it. You had the diagnosis in less than an hour with no special tools. Very gratifying I'm sure. This offsets some of the 'Dana Frustration' from your other thread.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:55 PM   #9

Next time, save some $$ and use these better/less expensive products :

Can use either Neutra 131 or PB'laster (or Kreen, Kroil from Kano Labs) when you put stuff in the spark plug hole for an "upper cylinder/ring cleaning/decarb solution"... I have only seen Sea Foam break off big chunks of carbon, rarely has it "safely liquefied it" like the other products I listed

You will notice a darker burning smoke when you start the engine too, this is actually Carbon being expelled from the engine... white smoke shows you get from Sea Foam is usually just that... a smoke show

Sea Foam is good for cleaning out "gummed up carbs/injectors" and your wallet... little else from my experience

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
Next time, save some $$ and use these better/less expensive products :

Can use either Neutra 131 or PB'laster (or Kreen, Kroil from Kano Labs) when you put stuff in the spark plug hole for an "upper cylinder/ring cleaning/decarb solution"... I have only seen Sea Foam break off big chunks of carbon, rarely has it "safely liquefied it" like the other products I listed

You will notice a darker burning smoke when you start the engine too, this is actually Carbon being expelled from the engine... white smoke shows you get from Sea Foam is usually just that... a smoke show

Sea Foam is good for cleaning out "gummed up carbs/injectors" and your wallet... little else from my experience
Good suggestions, Azhule. I just grabbed the Sea Foam because it was the first thing I saw within reach.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 09-21-2016, 10:44 AM   #11

We used to run ATF down the carbs of munged up motors to clean them out. They better be running already though, not like your generator. The smoke cloud will stop traffic. Quite impressive.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 09-22-2016, 06:39 AM   #12

ATF has many uses but I wasn't aware of this one. I have used it as a degreaser in the field.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 09-22-2016, 06:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Are the two 120VAC outlets on different legs of the transformer? If so, you could make an adapter to power 220VAC devices.
Don't know but worth checking into.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 09-22-2016, 12:03 PM   #14

Just fire it up and place one probe of a multimeter into each hot leg. If you something in the neighbourhood of 220VAC, you have a winner.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:17 PM   #15

Will do.

After I go to the store for a battery for the multimeter.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800