Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2015, 02:29 PM   #1

Blowing fuses and more

Hello,
I have a TaoTao 110-D atv less than a year old. Over the weekend it started blowing fuses. What is the best way to track down the problem?

Also the back wheels are split around the lug bolts. I have all ready replaced one wheel and now need 2 more. Where can I get something better than the stock wheels?

And also having lots of trouble keeping the chain tight. I have to tighten it up 2-3 time a week and yes I have loctite on everything. Something just no right in the rear and I don't know what it is. Its like the rear is not lined up right or something, or the adjuster is not working right. The sprockets are showing lots of wear and when my son rides it sounds like the chain is binding up. Also where can I get some good sprockets, just something to replace the stock ones.

Thanks for the help.

Rich

Old 09-01-2015, 02:50 PM   #2

You have a wire caught/pinched somewhere between two pieces of metal. Or possibly an unused wire with a spade connector or something brushing up against the bike frame. Maybe loose battery bouncing around and grounding out.

Kneel down 10 feet or so behind the bike. Sight down the chain and make sure the chain is going perfectly straight from the rear sprocket to the front sprocket. It should not be cocked to the left or right. Sometimes its easier to see with the bike running and the chain spinning with the wheels up off the ground. If you find the chain cocked and I suspect you will as you mention binding, loosen all necessary bolts to get the adjustment you need to align the sprockets then tighten everything back down with a little loctite. This will fix the chain noise and binding and also probably fix the chain tightening/loosening issue. If its been this way for a long time you might need new chain and sprockets.

Can you take a picture of the broken wheel for us?

/

Old 09-01-2015, 03:22 PM   #3

Thanks for the tips.
I am going to pull the body off tonight and start on the fuse issue then work on the chain.
Do you know of a good place to get a new chain and sprockets? The place where I bought it are not much help.

I will post pictures of the wheels when I get home. My son ( 6 ) is hard as hell on this thing, but I would not think the wheels would come apart. My 7 year old has had no problems with his.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:55 PM   #4

Here are some pictures of the wheels. You can see that they are fractured around the nuts.

also does this look right

I thought a nut went on the back side of that plate to keep things tight.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:52 AM   #5

Any ideas where I can get better quality 7" wheels with 3 hole patter?

Old 09-04-2015, 10:56 AM   #6

That's a tall order. I haven't seen that style of rim, except on small China quads.

Can you weld? Perhaps you can add a plate to one side of the rim for added strength, burn it into the existing rim and then drill the mounting holes.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-04-2015, 04:05 PM   #7

My neighbor is doing just that, he is a metal fabricator so we are going to give it a try this weekend. I can get a 4 hole hub that will fit on the 110 so I may look into that style of wheel if the plate does not work.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:21 PM   #8

Some lawn mowers use a 3 bolt pattern, might check on them....
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 09-08-2015, 11:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowHunt3r View Post
My neighbor is doing just that, he is a metal fabricator so we are going to give it a try this weekend. I can get a 4 hole hub that will fit on the 110 so I may look into that style of wheel if the plate does not work.
How did that work out?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-08-2015, 11:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck369 View Post
Some lawn mowers use a 3 bolt pattern, might check on them....
Good tip, Huck!

Old 09-09-2015, 11:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
How did that work out?
He was on vacation, hope to hear something tonight.

I took the rear end out and re aligned everything. and also took out 2 links of chain. and ordered chain tensioner to see if that helps out. Going to have to get new sprockets next.

Now the other atv is leaking fuel out the carb over flow. Have to take the carb off and give it a good cleaning.:

I am starting to wish they were into skateboarding....