Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2014, 08:50 PM   #1

Zong Top End Rebuild

So I'm having to rebuild the top end of my 200cc Zong. I'm new to this, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to where to go for parts/parts kits and exactly which parts to get?? I can order them from Zongshen (are they still in business?) but I'd prefer to replace the parts with as many Yamaha or "quality" parts I can get. Suggestions please?

Old 05-14-2014, 09:06 PM   #2

Look up spud rider or in the zong sticky it'll be in there

Old 05-14-2014, 09:38 PM   #3

I looked there but no mention of specific part numbers or location to buy parts. I'm ok with the work itself.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #4

Spud taught me how to buy from www.taobao.com, where you can find OEM Zong stuff for cheap. I've placed several orders.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-16-2014, 12:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iquitmyscene View Post
So I'm having to rebuild the top end of my 200cc Zong. I'm new to this, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to where to go for parts/parts kits and exactly which parts to get?? I can order them from Zongshen (are they still in business?) but I'd prefer to replace the parts with as many Yamaha or "quality" parts I can get. Suggestions please?
You can buy complete gasket sets from Taobao.com. You can also buy new valves, valve stem seals, et cetera, from Taobao. I prefer to buy pistons from a Yamaha parts vendor.

Why are you rebuilding the top end of the engine? Are you burning oil? What are the symptoms?

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-16-2014, 06:12 PM   #6

There are a lot of issues I've been dealing with for the past year or so:

The motorcycle has not run in almost a year and a half. In that time I've done:

Fresh oil change
Brand new oiled air filter
Brand new gas filter
Replaced carb & rubber boot/tube thing that gets crappy
Brand new spark plug & cap
Repaired leak at petcock
Repaired small oil leak from gasket/ bleed screw
Adjusted valve clearances to correct specs
Replaced all small gaskets on engine
Replaced CDI (tried 3 different ones, still nothing)
Fully charged battery, had battery tests done, battery is 100%

Symptoms:

ALWAYS extremely hard to start
Only able to ride bike with choke on
Stalled out a lot at stops
Now just turns over but won't start
Felt just general lack of power while riding (kinda felt like it was struggling or losing power).

Brought to a shop, they replaced the carb & spark plugs/cap. I had pretty good spark from shop. I had done a compression test BEFORE all of the issues and compression was fine, however I can't seem to get any good readings now that its not running. They suggested top end.

My friend used to race dirt bikes, he feels 100% confident that if I rebuilt the top end, that it should solve my problem, so I was going to do that. I'm not quite sure what else I would need to do to get this thing running again.

I was looking at this kit, but not sure if its the correct one, nor am I sure exactly how to order from here.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=17968009984

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Its aggravating that it used to be so awesome and now its just collecting dust in my garage :(

Old 05-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #7

Quote:
That link is for Honda clone. ZS is based from SW China/ That shop is in NE China / Agent is in S China .
---
You need these:
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=4910232046
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=4910069130
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=1561733424

Old 05-16-2014, 09:52 PM   #8

HumanBeing is correct. You listed a link to Hondoid parts, which will not fit your Zong. HumanBeing listed links to Zongshen parts, which will fit your ZS200GY-2. To find Zong parts at Taobao, use the seach terms 'zs200gy-2' and lzx200gy-2.

Do you know a good machinist who can bore and hone your cylinder? The same machinist can examine your cylinder head and let you know if the valves and valve seats are in good condition. I would have a reputable machinist examine the cylinder and cylinder head before I ordered any parts from anywhere.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-16-2014, 10:37 PM   #9

Humanbeing: Thank you very much for the links. Very helpful. Now I need to figure out how to order from there if I choose to go that route.

Spudrider: To be honest, I don't know of any machinists in my area, let alone ones that will even LOOK at a Zongshen. I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia, they are very centered around name brands only. The original shop I took my motorcycle to actually refused to rebuild the top end or even look at the engine because they "don't" do that brand... keep in mind this is coming from a company that sells a TON of QLinks! I even called ahead of time because they they have a specific part of their website that states they work on Chinese bikes, and they said they were familiar with Zongshens... http://www.westchestercycle.com/

I will continue to look around, but I think I will spend more time looking for a machinist when I could be spending time actually working on parts myself, but I will look around for now.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
To find Zong parts at Taobao, use the seach terms 'zs200gy-2' and lzx200gy-2.
Also just saw this. Thank you. I was looking up more "Zongshen 200", obviously was not the correct search. Thank you for clarifying!

Old 05-16-2014, 11:38 PM   #11

Motorcycle Parts names in simplified Chinese:
http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ll=1#post21805

Old 05-17-2014, 12:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Humanbeing: Thank you very much for the links. Very helpful. Now I need to figure out how to order from there if I choose to go that route.

Spudrider: To be honest, I don't know of any machinists in my area, let alone ones that will even LOOK at a Zongshen. I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia, they are very centered around name brands only. The original shop I took my motorcycle to actually refused to rebuild the top end or even look at the engine because they "don't" do that brand... keep in mind this is coming from a company that sells a TON of QLinks! I even called ahead of time because they they have a specific part of their website that states they work on Chinese bikes, and they said they were familiar with Zongshens... http://www.westchestercycle.com/

I will continue to look around, but I think I will spend more time looking for a machinist when I could be spending time actually working on parts myself, but I will look around for now.
I don't go to a motorcycle shop when I rebuild the top end of an engine. I go to a local machinist who also works on automobile engines.

Check the telephone book for reputable machinists. Call and ask if any of them work on automobile or motorcycle cylinders. If they don't do such work, ask them to refer you to someone who does.

When I am working on an engine, I make an appointment with my local, trusted machinist. Before the pre-arranged meeting, I remove the cylinder head and cylinder from the engine. I bring both items to the machinist. He measures the cylinder with a bore gauge to determine if the cylinder needs to be re-bored. He also inspects the valve seats to determine whether they can be lapped, or need to be cut. He also examines the valves to determine whether they can be cleaned, and lapped to the valve seats, or whether they need to be replaced. You need to know what parts need to be replaced before you purchase new parts.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Last edited by SpudRider; 05-17-2014 at 02:50 PM.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:08 AM   #13

Thanks Spud, I will look around and make some calls this coming week. Its only has approx 2,500mi on it, I'm assuming the previous over really beat it up and pushed it over its limits, now I'm trying to baby it back to health!

Old 05-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Go to www.taobaotrends.com and set up a free account. After that, go to "Submit your orders", paste a Taobao link in the field, click 'Submit" and then "Add to Cart." Add as many links as you wish, and then check out.

You will not be able to pay as soon as you check out. Taobao Trends will review your order, and then they will activate the Paypal link and send you an email. You can then pay the initial amount, which includes shipping to the Taobao Trends office. They will order the goods, unpack them, photograph them and email pics to you. Once you are satisfied, they will calculate the shipping cost to your door and send you an email. As soon as you pay the second amount, they will ship the parts to you.

I've purchased through Taobao Trends several times now, and I've always been happy with the service.

Another option (rather than seeking a machinist) is to order a complete cylinder head: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...&id=3019413404 That might be cheaper and faster than paying a machinist, and you'll have new parts, along with a few spares leftover from your original motor.

BTW, use Google Chrome to shop on www.taobao.com, and allow it to translate automatically.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-20-2014, 11:30 AM   #15

If the local motorcycle shops don't want to work on your engine, ask them to recommend a machinist. I don't know any local shops which do their own machine work; they always send any part which need machining to a good machinist.

I recommend you disassemble the engine and take the cylinder and cylinder head to a machinist so he can inspect them for you. You might not need any work performed on either of these parts; they might be in excellent condition. However, you won't know if the parts are good, or bad, unless you get them inspected by a professional.

If either of these parts does need work, ask the machinist how much he will charge. If the charge is too high, then you also have the option of buying new parts from Taobao.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220