Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #1

Heading to the mountains...questions

I am leaving sea level and heading to lake Tahoe. Up to 6300ft. What do I need to do to run sufficiently. I'm only going to be up there a few days. Also I'm thinking of buying some Knobbie tires (used), don't really want to buy new rims would it be too rough on my tires/rims to swap 2 times (from street to knobbies and back) for 7 day period.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:12 AM   #2

would this work, "looks" like a deal?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/mcy/3143461740.html

Old 07-18-2012, 02:18 AM   #3

your rims shouldn't get damaged by changing the tire, as long as those tires have the same rim diameter as yours they should be usable, although are not what i would call a real knobby.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:24 AM   #4

Yeah WA I know I'm just looking to hit the fire trails around the area and explore of course. I found a guy who has a whole set up of 18 rear and 21 front from a gy200 with real knobbie tires. He wants 80 for both good deal?

Any advice on jetting or bringing that bike up to that altitude?

also anyone recommend a specific spark plug.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduroadventure

Cooler plug for continuous high rev running: NGK (5329) DPR9EA-9 | Non-resistor: NGK (6629) DP9EA-9
>1500m : Leaner mixture & Smaller main jet | hack job as guys adventure on Tibetan plateau: Put 2-3 copper wires (hair size/ wire | sourced from old electric wire)
=
For example: Stock jet is different (122/118/105) in this http://www.wuyang-honda.com/product/...catid=24&id=14 chinese Honda workhorse to suit end user's attitude.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduroadventure
Yeah WA I know I'm just looking to hit the fire trails around the area and explore of course. I found a guy who has a whole set up of 18 rear and 21 front from a gy200 with real knobbie tires. He wants 80 for both good deal?

Is he selling two wheels with tires, or two tires alone?

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanbeing
>1500m : Leaner mixture & Smaller main jet | hack job as guys adventure on Tibetan plateau: Put 2-3 copper wires (hair size/ wire | sourced from old electric wire)
I've heard of that trick before. In an automotive carburetor, it's much easier to insert a small piece of wire into a jet for testing, until you determine what the final jet size should be.

Enduroadventure, I would definitely have a main jet that is two sizes smaller and the plug that Humanbeing recommends at 6300'.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #8

Since these bikes are jetted quite lean from the factory it will run better at Tahoe. Witness Spud's stock jetted Zong with a pipe and airbox mods. Runs perfect up to 10,000+ feet.

Are you riding it there or towing it? Please tell me you're not riding it the whole way.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #9

Yes I know it sounds fishy when I first encountered it I was like ya right. It keeps drawing me back in especially after watching some videos, well I'm interested in the tires so well see what he says about the title and all that when I speak to him, didn't want to do it over email I want to hear him stutter and bumble or say he can go to the DMV (wich I'm hoping).

Spud he I selling rims/tires the whole set up..he needs to call me back but from the CL post I'm ASSuming breaks too b/c he has new ones. They will fit right?

Fastdoc there is no way I'm riding the whole way. My uncle has a truck he let's me borrow for stuff like this. I however might stop in Placerville and ride form there, however I might be leaving late at night and just not comfortable with that at night.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #10

It's still far from Placerville, and up the mountains your bike will be lucky to do 45-50 MPH. Since the speed limit there is 65 (IIRC) and people drive faster than that I'd say it's a no-go.

Also Chinabike headlights are sorta barely adequate and I'd not be in a hurry to ride one in the dark in the Sierra Nevadas.

Drive the whole way, then unload, and enjoy safely.

There used to be an awesome organized 200 mile (each way) dual sport ride from Angels Camp to lake Tahoe. It was my favorite thing to do in life for a while. I'd been gone for years, I assume due to land use closure.

I'd run it on my XR250L.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #11

Your right fastdoc it wouldn't be smart, more of I would like to do than actually being practical. They have a thing called dust devils I believe that do trips like that. My dad is into doing that. Going to buy a dual sport winter project for him this yr. we do tons of fishing up there it would be great to ride out to remote parts of the river that are rarely fished due to sheer distance.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #12

I believe that was the name of the group. I have the jersey arounf my home somewhere... :wink:

Old 07-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #13

Ya next summer/spring were gonna join them or go on our own.

How about the deal On the gy200 rims and tires (assuming breaks too) for $80 I know I can haggle down to $60 I think it's a good deal, but I'm still new and it is used.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #14

Looks OK to me but you should know the nickname for Trail Wings is Death Wings. Don't know what that's all about as I never rode them. My guess is that they are about an 80-90% on road tire and 'slippery' in the soft stuff. Should be fine on hard surfaces. Just a thought.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #15

The one ad I posted ya not much tread. No the ones I'm asking about now are off a gy200 with all dirt tires. the whole set up.