Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Dealer & Distributor Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2015, 11:08 AM   #1

Lifan USA!!

Thanks to 'Adjuster' for posting the LIfan Pony 100, I Googled Lifan USA, and they have a website and a new US headquarters. Several products shown (including the Pony 100). Looks promising, and hopefully they will bring back their venerable GY-5 dual sport, or at least an updated, simple version, to compete with the Bashan and the Hawk!

http://americanlifan.com/

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-20-2015, 02:29 PM   #2

Good to see them back. I always wanted one of those little Lifan 3 wheel trucks with the CG type engine. They were on the old american lifan web page which said they would be importing them next year...... that was about 7 years ago.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
I always wanted one of those little Lifan 3 wheel trucks with the CG type engine.
Me too.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-20-2015, 09:25 PM   #4

I read good things about their 250cc v-twin also. I think that finally, all the leftover 2009 Lifan v-twin street cruisers have finally sold out. Recently, you could buy one for about $1800.

I see they are going to still sell the 250 v-twin criuser, plus a nice looking 250 v-twin street roadster.

I'm glad to see them making a comeback here.

http://americanlifan.com/fm-250v/

Old 09-20-2015, 09:29 PM   #5

Looks to me more like they have a dream!

Nothing solid, just what they would like to have available.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:49 PM   #6

The last time they were in the US, they were done in by a 2 stroke scooter that the EPA was giving them issues over, or at least that was what they had on their own site several years ago. They will have to take it at the speed the EPA allows them this time, starting with the 100cc mini which is already available. They will have to build capital from those. I am guessing the electric scooters and bikes will be easier to certify.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 09-21-2015, 01:28 AM   #7

It's good to see them back, but I still don't like what they did to Larry Hooper.

I like their FM250V best.

I don't see any dual sport bikes listed at the website; that's too bad.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-23-2015, 02:06 AM   #8

I like that bike, too.

I found this little bit on the EPA site, and it mentioned American Lifan, as well as Jonway and Wildfire--this might have been what killed American Lifan

http://www3.epa.gov/otaq/roadbike.htm

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 09-24-2015, 09:20 AM   #9

I've been trying to find an oil pump chain for my Lifan GY5 for a year and finally got a response from Red Oak Cycles who appears to be the official retail parts supplier for American Lifan. Unfortunately they want BMW prices for Lifan parts. Here's what they emailed me for prices.

Oil pump chain $24.45
Output sprocket $28.75
Rear sprocket $57.00
Shipping USPS $12.65
Totaling $122.85

BTW the sprockets I was inquiring about are the little ones that fit the oil pump. A JT countershaft sprocket from ebay costs 1/3 of the Chinese one from Lifan. Rear sprocket from Ebay is less than half the price of the Lifan one. Looks to me they're going the computer printer route by selling the printer (motorcycle) for cheap and charging megabucks for ink cartridges (Lifan parts).

Old 09-24-2015, 11:20 AM   #10

Quote:
I've been trying to find an oil pump chain for my Lifan GY5 for a year and finally got a response from Red Oak Cycles who appears to be the official retail parts supplier for American Lifan. Unfortunately they want BMW prices for Lifan parts. Here's what they emailed me for prices.

Oil pump chain $24.45
Output sprocket $28.75
Rear sprocket $57.00
Shipping USPS $12.65
Totaling $122.85

BTW the sprockets I was inquiring about are the little ones that fit the oil pump. A JT countershaft sprocket from ebay costs 1/3 of the Chinese one from Lifan. Rear sprocket from Ebay is less than half the price of the Lifan one. Looks to me they're going the computer printer route by selling the printer (motorcycle) for cheap and charging megabucks for ink cartridges (Lifan parts).
Yes, it looks like the bike has become the commodity.

What is an oil pump chain?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-24-2015, 01:21 PM   #11

The balance shaft version of the CG engines drive the oil pump with a chain instead of a gear because the oil pump had to be moved to make room for the balance shaft. There is a tiny sprocket on the crankshaft, about a 3" long non standard chain ($24) and a sprocket the size of a Twoony ($2 Canadian coin) on the oil pump shaft. It's one thing that will never wear out on the non balance shaft engines because those are gear drive.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:49 PM   #12

Did you try Hooper in Washington State? He used to sell Lifan parts. Don't know if he still does since Lifan packed it up and left.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:51 AM   #13

Quote:
The balance shaft version of the CG engines drive the oil pump with a chain instead of a gear because the oil pump had to be moved to make room for the balance shaft. There is a tiny sprocket on the crankshaft, about a 3" long non standard chain ($24) and a sprocket the size of a Twoony ($2 Canadian coin) on the oil pump shaft. It's one thing that will never wear out on the non balance shaft engines because those are gear drive.
Thanks for the explanation. Have you tried Taobao?

Old 09-25-2015, 11:51 AM   #14

Larry Hooper never did carry the counterbalanced engines or any parts specific to them.

I haven't tried Taobao but that is my next plan. Need to work up a list of other parts to save on shipping costs per part. Could use a gasket set because I can't find one to fit the counterbalanced engine in the US.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:04 PM   #15

Here are pics of the balanced Lifan and a non balanced Zong.