Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2015, 07:16 PM   #1

XF250 Lithium Battery NOT Good with Desulfating Battery Charger

My new 2013 XF250 came with a lithium battery. The dealer recommended the BikeMaster auto-sensing charger. I had already wired in the battery lead plug-in before I read the label on the lithium battery itself.

It said among other things, "Do not charge the battery by charger with an automatic desulfation mode function."

Sure 'nuf, when I checked, the uber intelligent 8 stage charger had a rescue phase to deal with plate sulfation. I also noticed that the manual says "for Standard, Gel, and AGM Lead Acid Batteries".

A little check of the interwebs makes it clear that lithium ion batteries draw down and charge up very differently than their lead acid cousins and do not like high voltage pulsing as used to desulfate the surface of the lead.

Luckily, I had not run the charger yet so my battery is fine. I ordered a "Battery Tender Jr. Lithium" .75 Amp High Efficiency Maintainer by Deltran, model# 022-0198LI for $32 shipped. Best price I could find. http://www.2xpower.com/12-Volt-Batte...an_p_400.html#

I'm hoping the plug-in battery leads are identical so don't have to spend the 20 minutes removing and replacing the set I installed just to return the original package.

Jim

Old 06-04-2015, 08:15 PM   #2

The SAE connector is the same for both chargers.

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 06-05-2015, 11:21 AM   #3

Good observation.

I believe that a lithium battery can't be load tested in the same way as conventional lead acid, either.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-05-2015, 12:53 PM   #4

Thanks for the heads up on that. Mine still charges fine but I have seen the price on the replacements and they are not cheap.