Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #1

Some Basic ATV Maintenance Qs

Hey Folks,

I have a couple Qs about things that are new to me - still learning as I go here.

1) How to tighten or adjust disk brakes? The rear disks on the Beast Limited have gone all wimpy, and I'm not sure why. I've bled the line (not the problem), tightened up a couple loose nuts (also did not fix). Here is a pic of the brakes:

this is the foot part of the brake

Here's the disk brake

2) Checking the spark plug - I haven't checked many plugs, and when I got started the mix was too rich and the plug was pretty black. This is what is looks like now (also a new plug - NGK). Looks OK to me now but what do you think?

3) The bushings for this unit (the Tao Tao 150B) seem to be shot already! Even with some grease in there, there is about 1" play the wrong way on the rear wheels and the chain is popping off too easy, even after tightening it. SO - does anyone know if there are any compatible good bushings like yamaha part or something for this unit?

Thanks!

Old 09-09-2011, 09:46 PM   #2

Does the brake actuate properly, aside from the fact that it doesn't grab well? If it does, I'd play with the pushrod adjustment at the master. See if you can lengthen the rod a bit.

The plug looks good to me, but I have no experience with the fancy iridium stuff. What are your carb settings now?

Can you show us a close-up shot of the Taotao rear axle assembly?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-11-2011, 09:30 PM   #3

Rear of Tao

- Yes, the brake actuates properly, it just doesn't grab enough. I don't have really any more room on the push rod that I can see, so was wondering if there is something I'm missing.

- Carb - haven't pulled it yet to check the jets, but the clip on the air/fuel mix is on the second lowest (4/5 counting from the top) which I *think* is lean - a 5/5 would be as lean as you can get on the carb. It seems to start fine -usually on 1st or second try no choking needed. Starts instantly once warm.

- Here's the rear of the Tao:

It is totally subjective, but the bolt size and pipe looks the same as the Beast Limited and I'm thinking it is some standard chinese swing arm bushing - though I know they usually have plastic in there, which would explain why it is shot already after only a few rides :( :(

The 150 is the same frame as the larger 200/250 Taos - but I couldn't find and info online (yet). Also emailed the dealer but he is pretty useless so far.

jb

Old 09-11-2011, 11:15 PM   #4

I'd be inclined to replace the brake fluid with some new DOT3.

To be clear, the further down the needle the clip is placed, the richer the mixture. If you lower the clip, the needle will pull higher out of the needle jet, thereby allowing more fuel into the air stream.

I'm not familiar with the Beast Limited rear axle, but the Tao axle you have is certainly different from the Beast I have. That means that I doubt the Yamaha bushings I used will fit. Every China bushing I've seen is an internal steel tube, an outer steel tube and rubber in between. Since yours our shot anyway, perhaps you'd choose to remove one of the damaged bushings and tell us the dimensions; maybe we can help you find a match.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-11-2011, 11:36 PM   #5

Thanks for the clarification on the mix Weld! I happily admit I am a mechanical neophyte and got that mixed up.

I'll probably have to tear the whole thing apart - the bushings may not be shot you know, it could just be one of those loose units - I just notice that it has play I didn't notice before. I'm still trying to get some parts under warranty from the dealer but he's been ignoring me. I read somewhere you can also shore them up by using washers.

The chain is a real pain right now so I'm thinking I'll just pull the whole thing apart. Get rid of the useless chain tensioner (or fix it), check the bushings, tighten up the chain. Speaking of which I'm thinking I'll order a better quality chain - that one looks pretty loose now and I don't trust it. I don't think the 428 is really meant to be in a big ATV like that.

I have a new carb coming for the beast BTW - a mikuni - since I heard so much about them

jb

Old 09-12-2011, 12:19 AM   #6

Re: Some Basic ATV Maintenance Qs

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerndad
Hey Folks,

Here's the disk brake
What is that "glop" around the bottom of the disc? Is that grease, maybe from the center section? If so, then I'll bet those pads are polluted with the stuff. That would explain why the brakes don't work properly.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:36 AM   #7

Yep the glop is grease that comes through the bearings. I have cleaned it off. You're right though, it could be part of the problem and maybe a solvent cleaner would do better.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:57 AM   #8

Good catch Foster! I missed that detail.

northerndad, a 428H chain is a good investment (H means heavy duty). I usually fins RK 428H chains for around $30.00.

On the swingarm, I tossed the stock pivot bolt nut and used two jam nuts instead. I can torque 'em right up and they stay tight. Maybe that will get you buy for awhile.

Aerosol brake clean is a really good product for cleaning pads, and it's usually around $5.00 per can. I find that the environmentally friendly stuff doesn't work as well.

The Mikuni will likely need new jets to be optimized for your combo. With a free-flowing air cleaner and muffler, a 110 main and 25 slow jet usually does the trick.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:51 PM   #9

Hey guys,

* I re-cleaned the disk brake on the Gio and fiddled with some nuts, it works but still doesn't really stop the bike. I'll give it another clean, and try some brake cleaner (Ihave to pick some up) - may solve the problem. I know I haven't ridden enough to wear out the pads!
* I ordered a 428H chain for the Tao, thanks weld
* On the Tao I tossed that god awful chain tensioner, tightened the swing arm bolt, and tightened the chain up and it seems a lot better. I think if I get some good washers in-between the swing arm and frame the bushings will probably be OK for a while. I checked and a lot of the play is actually coming from the swing arm not being tight to the frame.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:27 AM   #10

Sorta what I figured. While there is some necessary flex in the bushings, the most common cause is usually a loose swingarm bolt. I recommend the double nut method to prevent it from loosening again.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:16 AM   #11

* I got a nice think washer from can tire today, pulled out the swing arm bolt, and re-assembled with the washer - and it is so much tighter and mucho better. Of course being the first time I've done that (pull out a swing arm bolt) there was much cursing (mostly in my head) and it took about 10x as long as it should have, but it's done and will be much faster next time (when I replace the bushings, next year prob)!!