Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2016, 02:28 PM   #1

Angry HELP!!! Possible Bent Countershaft?! (TT250)

Hey guys, I got home from one evening and noticed my chain was loose. I tightened it to 15mm of free play exactly, and now the chain has a grinding sound twice per rotation of the wheel. I looked all over to see where it might be grinding and I am wondering what I should do. I know I have not over tightened the chain as it clearly has 15mm maybe even 16mm of free play which the manual says is what you need. What else might be the problem?? Help please as I am leaving on an adventure ride this Thursday... Thanks in advance.

Old 07-24-2016, 02:47 PM   #2

Here is a video of the sound for reference...

Old 07-24-2016, 03:04 PM   #3

Did you take the front sprocket cover off yet? Grab a Hockey Puck and a Jack, set it on the right rear area on the frame (near the rear shock usually) to raise the rear tire off the ground, this way you can spin the tire while looking at everything while it's spinning.

Also how many teeth on each sprocket and how many links in the chain?

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:14 PM   #4

UPDATE*** I took off the sprocket cover to see if I could see anything wobble and I shifted through some gears and it seems to have disappeared which leads me to believe it might be a transmission thing. I wonder if I broke some teeth off the sprockets in the gearbox because when accelerating from a stop, it seems like it has to grind and then catch in first gear to get going...

Old 07-24-2016, 03:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWDualRider View Post
UPDATE*** I took off the sprocket cover to see if I could see anything wobble and I shifted through some gears and it seems to have disappeared which leads me to believe it might be a transmission thing. I wonder if I broke some teeth off the sprockets in the gearbox because when accelerating from a stop, it seems like it has to grind and then catch in first gear to get going...
Next, inspect the dumped oil for fod.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 07-24-2016, 03:57 PM   #6

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Next, inspect the dumped oil for fod.
Sounds good. I'll do a full oil change and inspect oil. Am I looking for anything in particular or just chunks of metal? Thank you all for the help so far. I'm willing to do the work if I know what I am doing. Love you guys lol

Old 07-24-2016, 04:20 PM   #7

broken gear teeth will give you chunks, instead of shavings.

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250

Old 07-24-2016, 08:51 PM   #8

UPDATE** I changed the oil and cleaned the oil screen and among the many metal shavings, there weren't any chunks. I fired up the bike and let it run a bit until it studdered then died. Would not turn over. The first thing that popped into my mind was that I didn't put enough oil or I used the wrong type. I checked the oil, 10w/40 and I put in about 1.3 quarts in. Then I laughed at myself, fuel switch was not flipped to run. Flipped it on and it runs like a dream. The oil that came out was thick black and I can't believe it was that dirty in 190km from city riding. I will take it out another day as I'm about to watch a movie with the Mrs, to do some real testing. But so far, it seems the problem has resided.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:37 PM   #9

How bad? Get that oil and put in suspension, then pour a small amount on a white paper plates and take a pic. Some of these guru can tell if it's something serious going on inside. If your worried about you may want to contact the mothership (csc). Small amounts are normal. Here's my first from the bashan as to compare.
Name:  20160313_193019-320x180.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  18.9 KB
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 07-25-2016, 10:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Odds are you may have picked up something on the chain (piece of gravel, etc.) and ran it through the countershaft sprocket, would be my guess.
I'd imagine that busting a tooth off a gear is virtually impossible, especially with the mammoth HP that these put out. ;-)
Also, it's normal for the CG motor countershaft sprocket to wiggle. That's why I'm not concerned about running a flat sprocket on the rear and having the length of the chain make up the 4mm +/- offset.....or "we'll see".

Keep us posted.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-26-2016, 11:58 PM   #11

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
How bad? Get that oil and put in suspension, then pour a small amount on a white paper plates and take a pic. Some of these guru can tell if it's something serious going on inside. If your worried about you may want to contact the mothership (csc). Small amounts are normal. Here's my first from the bashan as to compare.
Attachment 6823
The shavings inside my oil for like small pieces of glitter. I thought I'd tear off the sprocket cover and investigate the teeth and all looked well. I decided to tighten the 2 bolts that hold on the front sprocket to see if maybe he knocking was a loose bolt on the front sprocket and the first, perfectly tightened, the second moved freely and so I loosened softly and the bolt fell out completely stripped! I can not believe this was so stripped from the factory. It has been held on by one bolt this whole time... That could've been really bad... But I will purchase a new bolt from the hardware store possibly Thursday before my trip to see if that was the issue.

On a side note, look what else came today!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (15.5 KB, 159 views)

Old 07-27-2016, 12:00 AM   #12

Quote:
The shavings inside my oil for like small pieces of glitter. I thought I'd tear off the sprocket cover and investigate the teeth and all looked well. I decided to tighten the 2 bolts that hold on the front sprocket to see if maybe he knocking was a loose bolt on the front sprocket and the first, perfectly tightened, the second moved freely and so I loosened softly and the bolt fell out completely stripped! I can not believe this was so stripped from the factory. It has been held on by one bolt this whole time... That could've been really bad... But I will purchase a new bolt from the hardware store possibly Thursday before my trip to see if that was the issue.

On a side note, look what else came today!
Picture attached of the bolt holding on my front sprocket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (11.7 KB, 195 views)

Old 07-27-2016, 12:33 AM   #13

Purchasing a new bolt might not help much ,those buggered up threads have more than likely transferred to whatever they were threaded into .I guess it's pretty safe to say you did not remove ,locktite ,then tighten every fastener you could find while assembling your bike ?

Old 07-27-2016, 12:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce's View Post
Purchasing a new bolt might not help much ,those buggered up threads have more than likely transferred to whatever they were threaded into .I guess it's pretty safe to say you did not remove ,locktite ,then tighten every fastener you could find while assembling your bike ?
CSC assembled the bikes for us and they mentioned they used loctight on all the bolts. Hopefully I can replace the bolt, if not, a warranty repair will be in order as I have been obeying all of the warranty regs without a fail for the break in period. I tightened almost all the other bolts except these two... My mistake...

Old 07-27-2016, 01:29 AM   #15

Quote:
CSC assembled the bikes for us and they mentioned they used loctight on all the bolts. Hopefully I can replace the bolt, if not, a warranty repair will be in order as I have been obeying all of the warranty regs without a fail for the break in period. I tightened almost all the other bolts except these two... My mistake...
I bet if you I D the part numbers and Emil csc they would ship it to you asap. Cheap part.