Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2019, 05:10 PM   #1

TT 250 gear shift indicator out and battery question.

Hey guys! Hope everyone had a great winter! Waiting for the spring weather here in Buffalo NY but the weather is finally starting to break. I rode the CSC TT 250 through winter with very few problems! Good times. Laid it down gently once on some black ice.

I did have a battery issue and I ordered the aftermarket battery off the CSC website. Works great for the most part but it's a lot smaller than the stock one. Considering it's been below freezing here and I haven't been taking the bike off road I just wedged a piece of cardboard in there for the time being. I'm thinking I could secure it with some duct tape, or rig something up with an old inner tube or something to help strap it down. You guys always have great suggestions so I figured I'd see if anyone had any thoughts here.

The other thing is that I seem to have lost my gear shift indicator on the dashboard. I had noticed that my chain guard by the front sprocket was filled with mud so is blasted it out with the power washer. That cleared out the mud alright but I seem to of loosened a sensor or something. The gear indicator light is now out and I always have to pull in the clutch to start it now. It's like it always thinks it's in gear. I pull in the clutch though, and the bike starts right up. Is this something I should be worried about? Has anyone else had this issue.

Well, happy summer is almost here. Hope you all had a great winter. Having a blast with the CSC TT250... Turned out to be money well spent as far as I'm concerned. Thinking about getting the new RX4 now! Any other RX4 riders out there?

As always, thanks for the help. I love this forum!

Old 03-25-2019, 05:23 PM   #2

Take off the cover over your countershaft sprocket ,you should find your wiring issue in there .The cardboard will become a soaked pile of stink that will start rusting out your bike after it gets a little wet ,a piece of rubber works well ,an old mud flap ,an old boot tray ,even a thick piece of plastic works well and should last a long time .

Old 03-25-2019, 05:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
Take off the cover over your countershaft sprocket ,you should find your wiring issue in there .The cardboard will become a soaked pile of stink that will start rusting out your bike after it gets a little wet ,a piece of rubber works well ,an old mud flap ,an old boot tray ,even a thick piece of plastic works well and should last a long time .

Will do! That cardboard is very temporary. I'm hoping to get working on the bikes in the next couple days. I ride it back and forth to work, so I just needed a quick fix. It's finally warming up here so I'll do a proper repair on it in the next couple days. I hope it is just a wire. Having great luck with this bike so far though. Thanks for the reply

Old 03-26-2019, 08:42 AM   #4

i would recommend disposing of the chinese dry rot rubber strap thats holding the battery and install the battery with some heavy duty zip ties....

Old 03-26-2019, 09:17 AM   #5

You can buy foam battery spacers for pretty cheap that have a sticky side to stick on the battery or the metal on the side where the cardboard is currently wedged. Some aftermarket batteries come with spacer foam blocks for this very purpose, but you can usually buy a block for a couple of bucks on Amazon, or a kit for a few bucks.

In regards to the battery strap. A new one from CSC is $1.65. https://store.cscmotorcycles.com/TT2...p/zt11-106.htm

The Zip Ties is actually a good idea to keep the battery from potentially traveling vertically though.

As far as the gear indicator and neutral safety switch issue, I would recommend checking your electrical connectors. Having ridden your bike in wet and otherwise nasty conditions, you may be dealing with a corrosion issue. I had issues with it on my Hawk's connectors after riding it in some light rain and wet roads, and that was even with taking the precaution to try and weatherproof the connectors with dielectric grease.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 03-26-2019, 11:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
i would recommend disposing of the chinese dry rot rubber strap thats holding the battery and install the battery with some heavy duty zip ties....
Was thinking about that too. Good idea. Zip ties are good idea. Thanks.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
You can buy foam battery spacers for pretty cheap that have a sticky side to stick on the battery or the metal on the side where the cardboard is currently wedged. Some aftermarket batteries come with spacer foam blocks for this very purpose, but you can usually buy a block for a couple of bucks on Amazon, or a kit for a few bucks.

In regards to the battery strap. A new one from CSC is $1.65. https://store.cscmotorcycles.com/TT2...p/zt11-106.htm

The Zip Ties is actually a good idea to keep the battery from potentially traveling vertically though.

As far as the gear indicator and neutral safety switch issue, I would recommend checking your electrical connectors. Having ridden your bike in wet and otherwise nasty conditions, you may be dealing with a corrosion issue. I had issues with it on my Hawk's connectors after riding it in some light rain and wet roads, and that was even with taking the precaution to try and weatherproof the connectors with dielectric grease.

I'll definitely look into those spacers. I just ordered a hundred dollars worth of parts to get the free shipping. Got everything I needed for a spring tune up. New plugs, battery, shifter and some other stuff. Had I realized beforehand I would of ordered that strap too. That will definitely be on the list for my next parts order. Liking the zip ties idea too.

As far as the gear indicator I'm hoping it's just a loose connection or some corrosion. Corrosion wouldn't surprise me at all, after a season of winter riding in Buffalo I'm a little surprised at how much rust I'm finding all over the bike. First warm day and I'm giving the bike a thorough cleaning and detailing. I'm going to try and open that front sprocket cover in the next day or so and see what's going on in there. Thank you, appreciate the tips and advice.

Old 03-30-2019, 05:14 PM   #8

Ended up using twist ties for the battery. I got some heavy duty ones from harbor freight then criss crossed them. Seems sturdy. Opening up that countershaft cover now, I think it's a sensor.