Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2018, 02:29 PM   #1

Educational Material

Hello guys, this might have been discussed before or not the right place to post this but i was wondering what some resources would be to learn up maintenance for the hawk. I am guessing more likely it would be dirtbike material i would want to search up? I have little automotive proficiency but i would like to learn how to tinker around with the hawk so i am looking for some books to check out, videos or whatever. This is coming from someone with no experience at all in this field just to be clear lol.

Old 04-13-2018, 05:47 PM   #2

Find a downloadable copy of a factory service manual for any model of CG125.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:41 PM   #3

There are plenty of guys who can help you right here, Maybe Megadan will give you his phone number, JK! don't ask him.

Just try to be specific about what you need to know and you'll get some great advise.

Basic maintenance like what?

checking your sparkplug? Oil changes? Chain maintenance? Youtube covers all that but if its Hawk specific

YOU ARE IN THE RIGHT PLACE!!

Old 04-13-2018, 09:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravin01 View Post
There are plenty of guys who can help you right here, Maybe Megadan will give you his phone number, JK! don't ask him.

Just try to be specific about what you need to know and you'll get some great advise.

Basic maintenance like what?

checking your sparkplug? Oil changes? Chain maintenance? Youtube covers all that but if its Hawk specific

YOU ARE IN THE RIGHT PLACE!!

EVERYTHING lol, i have 0 knowledge so i was looking for some reading material. Motorcycle tinkering for dummies... The service manual is a good idea but i need more in depth, learning piece parts functions etc. I dont own a hawk yet but i want to learn before hand to expedite the process when i get one :P. I have people that could help me but i want to soak up some knowledge so hopefully i dont have to use that avenue lol. So to sum it up i dont know basically any part names or such or how to maintain or tinker. Thanks for the help. I know i can post here but again i wouldn’t even know the names of the parts to ask for help!

Old 04-13-2018, 09:15 PM   #5

http://www.dansmc.com/mc_repaircourse.htm
And get a motorcycle lift cuz most folks can't deep squat/ sit on tiny stool for long period as Asian/ Hispanic/ East eu... example: Working condition http://www.motorfans.com.cn/forum.ph...=233085&page=1 that scares off cowards

Last edited by humanbeing; 04-14-2018 at 05:09 AM.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:46 AM   #6

There are so many ways I could answer... My problem is, I am a hands on learner, so I don't tend to read many manuals unless it is to reference a specification or assembly/disassembly process. Combine that with my lifelong mechanical inclination - I was that kid at 10 years old that could fix a power drill, and my idea of toys was erector sets lol - and I just take naturally to this kind of work. Plus, well, I have been trained and educated.

Haynes has actually made a couple of really good books that could be worth checking out.
Haynes Fuel System Techbook. - good for understanding carburetors in simple terms
Haynes Motorcycle Basics Techbook
Haynes Motorcycle Maintenance Techbook - this book goes into greater detail than the basics book, and is a lot more tech focused

There is also The Essential Guide to Motorcycle Maintenance

You could always go for the "for Dummies" series of books too lol.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-14-2018, 11:41 AM   #7

That’s perfect! I will give those a look. Maybe ill get lucky and the library will have them. If nothing else im sure they’ll at least have the dummy book lol. Hands on will definately help but i wanna try to learn the basics before i go wrenching around and make mistakes. Thank you for helping

Old 04-14-2018, 11:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Noodles View Post
That’s perfect! I will give those a look. Maybe ill get lucky and the library will have them. If nothing else im sure they’ll at least have the dummy book lol. Hands on will definately help but i wanna try to learn the basics before i go wrenching around and make mistakes. Thank you for helping
Most of the things I know the best are things I made mistakes on.

I do understand why you wish to try and learn as much as you can though, and I respect that a great deal. Knowing the parts, what they do, and how they work is the most important thing in not only repairs, but being able to diagnose an issue.

Even with all of the books you can get your hands on, you will still eventually need help. Feel free to ask. Like Cravin said, there are a lot of guys here with a ton of experience who are willing to help.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-14-2018, 05:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Noodles View Post
EVERYTHING lol, i have 0 knowledge so i was looking for some reading material. Motorcycle tinkering for dummies... The service manual is a good idea but i need more in depth, learning piece parts functions etc. I dont own a hawk yet but i want to learn before hand to expedite the process when i get one :P. I have people that could help me but i want to soak up some knowledge so hopefully i dont have to use that avenue lol. So to sum it up i dont know basically any part names or such or how to maintain or tinker. Thanks for the help. I know i can post here but again i wouldn’t even know the names of the parts to ask for help!
I started a column called "Hawk Talk" on here a year or two ago. It was written for guys like you who have questions. From your point of view, I'd read it from the beginning. There is a lot of whys and wherefors in there....ARH

Old 04-14-2018, 05:30 PM   #10

WTF

I’ve read here and there in that thread, it’s a good post Ariel. Yeah i would like to be self reliant as possibly but everyone needs help once and awhile. Hopefully these tariffs incoming don’t tie up any avenues of getting parts or hike up prices