Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #1

Eccentric adjuster issues...

...or not really an issue as a "what the hell?!"

This Loncin quad I do came with a 50-series ag chain and sprockets. I swapped my 250cc engine in for the 150cc one that it came with. I used the same sprockets with a new chain.

The problem is that the my adjuster doesn't deal with the chain very. I rotated the adjuster to its forward-most position and fit the chain as tightly as possible and trimmed my length. But when I went to adjust the slack out to proper tension...the damn thing doesn't adjusted back far enough.

So I took a link out, adjusted the thing as far forward as it would go, then had to use a rubber mallet to get the chain on the sprockets and set the master link. It was manageable, but it's way too tight.

Too tight as is, plus one link is way too loose. Anyone else ever experience this? If it wasn't for the fact that I would have had to completely tear down the axle and rear end I would have swapped out to some smaller chain and sprockets.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:49 AM   #2

I don't recall that type of challenge, but adding one link actually means adding two (call them male and female if you like). I've seen links that have one male and one female end that might solve your issue. I can't recall where I saw them; that's a job for your detective skills.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-27-2011, 07:50 AM   #3

I didn't even know they made HALF LINKS.

Thanks!

Old 06-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #4

A $5.49 solution for a pack of four seems fair. Good luck, and please let us know if it works.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-27-2011, 04:33 PM   #5

Well the half link will solve my issue until the chain stretched a bit. That's my biggest confuzzle...same number of links and same sprockets as stock and it was slack. I know chains stretch but, when new, it had to be be the same as I see now. What were they thinking?