Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2014, 02:31 PM   #1

Mikuni VM26 30mm replacement - inexperience causing issues

Hello all,
On this rehab I decided to replace the carb with a 30mm Mikuni. It is installed now but me and my fat thumbs are having trouble getting the cable into the slide and how to attach the cable ring retainer.

I searched here and didn't find a good explanation of how it goes in. I also have d/l a couple of Mikuni manuals but they seem to glaze over the how of how it gets attached.

Right now the cap, boot and cable is in there, the big spring is there, but the circular clip is loose and I am not sure how to install it. I also seem to be fumbling with the spring but I managed. Fat, inexperienced thumbs, we meet again.

Thanks!! I'm sure this is something that only takes once to learn the magic trick.

Jim

2007 Shineray Speedee 150, 1P57QMJ: Needs: starter rewired, exhaust connected, cleaned up, ignition switch simplified, new seat and lights, new front and back racks.

There's no such thing as a free puppy or motorcycle. I think I have caught the fever from y'all.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:18 PM   #2

Better question, with picture!

I took a picture of the situation which is better than my first question. It is the part listing #7: "Plate, Needle Retainer" referenced in the VMmanual.pdf I found somewhere called "Mikuni VM Carburetor - Super Tuning Manual", Mikuni American Corporation.

In my picture it shows a red arrow pointing at a slot which is on both sides of the needle retaining clip. Is the throttle cable supposed to slide in that slot on either side? It just seems loose in there as it is. I'm treading lightly because that's such a squishable little piece of metal and I don't want to try and make it do something its not supposed to do and destroy it.

Thanks!
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg needle rataining clip vm26.jpg (35.6 KB, 144 views)

2007 Shineray Speedee 150, 1P57QMJ: Needs: starter rewired, exhaust connected, cleaned up, ignition switch simplified, new seat and lights, new front and back racks.

There's no such thing as a free puppy or motorcycle. I think I have caught the fever from y'all.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:49 PM   #3

No, the throttle cable does not fit in the slot. Just reposition the clip so the cable has plenty of room.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-12-2014, 08:22 PM   #4

Thumbs Up Thanks for the confirmation!

Whew, ok good. When I tried it flexed and didn't seem like it fit in there, but lined up with the final position of the cable so it was a tossup, and was different than the PZ I just took off of it.

Ok good, I'm onto the next thing then, more wiring and exhaust welding. Once I've completed the exhaust I can fire it back up and see if I need needle/jet changes.

Speaking of if I wanted to look where do I find jet size suggestions according to altitude, temp etc? I s there a chart somewhere?

Thanks again!
Jim

Old 08-13-2014, 05:10 PM   #5

There might be a chart, but I'm not aware of one. I've found that a 200cc four stroke with a free-breathing intake and exhaust at sea level likes a 25 slow jet and 110 main jet in the heat. In cold weather, I go a little fatter.

If you're higher than 2000 feet, your bike might like a 22 slow and 105 main.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-15-2014, 03:14 PM   #6

Thanks for the info! Jet suggestions noted. I am nearing being ready to fire her up again with the new carb.

The benchmark in the front pasture is at +1525 elev. I will be spending all of my time between that and +1985 which is the highest point on our property. The winter temps are above 40F most of the time with 2 months hovering below and around that, otherwise it's hot and dry. Very dry. :P

It's winter that the air is denser and needs more fuel-or richer jets? Am I understanding that part right?

Jim

Old 08-16-2014, 12:52 AM   #7

Exactly right. If you find that the bike takes forever to start and warm up in the winter, fatter jets should help.