Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2007, 10:35 PM   #1

What do you pack with you on DS trips?

Just wondering what people usually take with them on a dual sport trip, in order to be well prepared...

Do you just stick with the stock tool kit and some camping gear... or..?

I bought a little bicycle tire pump, and some crappy little tire spoons... Gonna see if I can mount them out of the way under the "cool-Boy" plastic or something, or maybe they will go in a tank bag when I get it. Also going to find a spot to pack a spare tube.

I also see that there is no 15mm wrenches to take the axles off with, so I want to find 2 stubby 15mm wrenches. (I only checked one side actually... going to double check and make sure both sides are 15mm, and front and back).

Other then that I don't know what else would be neccesary, have the stock tool kit, and will have camping gear (tent, and sleeping bag, got relatively small ones), and I am getting some saddle bags and a tail bag off ebay to carry that sort of stuff in. Will post pics of the bags on once I get em.

Oh yeah, I also got a 2-piece rainsuit.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:52 PM   #2

I always carry the following (as a minimum) on a DS trip.

- spare 21" tube (can be used for front or rear tire)
- hand pump
- 2 tire irons (11")
- 1 or 2 MSR cans (1L size) filled with fuel
- 1L engine oil
- assortment of metric 1/4" drive sockets
- assortment of metric end wrenches
- plug wrench, adjustable wrench, spoke wrenches, pliers, etc...
- small funnel (good for oil or gas)
- assortment of bungies/tie down straps (necessary for some ferries)
- assortment of zip ties and bailing wire
- duct tape
- spare plug
- matches (if you can't fix it, burn it!)

When you do maintenance its a good idea to used the tools you carry with you. That way if something is missing you'll figure it out before it becomes a problem. You don't want to get stuck in the woods due of a tossed chain because you forgot your 12 and 13mm wrenches at home.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 05-13-2007, 01:59 AM   #3

whats an MSR can? a jerry can?

Also, what sort of tire irons do you have? (honestly, I dont know what it would look like... all I can picture is the big + shaped ones for a car), is this like a tire spoon, or?

Thanks

Old 05-13-2007, 09:13 AM   #4

I've only been on the road for a week, so I carry everything frostbite does, but i need to get extra tubes and spark plug gapper. Adding to his list, chain lube, red and blue bolt grip, snowmobile gloves for cold, black electrical tape, medical forceps, (like small 5" needle nose pliers) vice grips for clamping, a five dollar bill for gas under my sockets, and an old cell phone. (pay as you go, never use it) I don't DS. I plan on slimming down. In 238km the only thing I needed was a bootlace to tie my rear fender back on. I just don't want the oooh if I only had a.....feeling at the side of the road. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Question, Frostbite are your tire irons the extentions for your wrenches, adding length for torque? I got them, and spoons. Just kitchen spoons :o

I did get a flat, I figured it might be the valve, but it was the tube. Luckily I was passing my bike store at the time.
N2r.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:34 PM   #5

These bikes are like Harleys! When driving on the road make sure your wife is following behind you in a truck with a trailer so you can trailer it home when it rattles to pieces. LOL

Old 05-13-2007, 07:55 PM   #6

Har Har Har, mines been good actually, only 1 bolt off the rear footpeg and my lisence plate broke.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:20 AM   #7

As I go further and further from home I take more and more tools. Wonder if I can strap another bike to my bike for long trips.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:35 AM   #8

Quote:
whats an MSR can? a jerry can?
Its an aluminum multi-fuel canister (kerosene, gas, oil, etc...). They come in <=1L sizes, much more portable than a jerry can as they can be stowed in a rack bag or backpack.

Quote:
Also, what sort of tire irons do you have?
They're 11 inch motorcycle irons. Basically a pair of flat steel bars with a small 'dip' at the end, some people refer to them as spoons. They are a self-contained tool, not wrench extensions.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:22 PM   #9

Thanks

Old 05-14-2007, 10:38 PM   #10

Oh ok, yeah I've got to get some of those, and thanks for the info

Old 07-10-2007, 02:24 PM   #11

Frostbite, your tire irons, are they available anywhere? Also, what was the price and location where you bought, please.

I'm working through a front tire issue and had a chance to deflate and take a good look at my tire. That ain't no 10 speed bike tire. I got my tubes, but they aren't any good if I can't get the lip of the tire over the rim when I break down on the road. Hasn't happened yet, but I'd like to be ready. Thanks. N2r. 8)

Old 07-10-2007, 02:51 PM   #12

I purchased mine locally. You should be able to get them at any bike shop or online part dealer (Dennis Kirk, EBay, Bike Bandit, etc...)

They were about $15CAD for the set if I recall correctly.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:01 PM   #13

Thank-you Mr. Bite.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:25 PM   #14

I carry my Triple A card my cell phone, a small collapsible cooler strapped onto my rear rack containing my insurance card liscense, registration, stock took kit, spare spark plug, bic lighter, chewing gum, cigarettes.. A digital camera and some form of liquid refreshment..

Need I mention gloves and helmet?

While I resent living in a populated area.. It is nice to always be in range of a cell phone tower and a gas station.. Most of my time is not spent on paved roads.. and its nice to hop off a trail on my DS and spend a $1.50 on gas to extend a ride.

Frostbite you must have been a Boy Scout,... Truly Prepared....

NET Eagle.. 1977

Old 07-11-2007, 03:16 AM   #15

I carry a can of Tire Repair/Sealant with me all the time. The one I have is made by MOTUL. I picked it up at MapleRidge Motorsports, although I would imagine most dealers carry something like this.

http://www.motul.fr/uk/produits/index.html

Once you are at this page go to "Motorcycle" and then "Maintenance"

It says that it will work with tube and tubeless tires.

Honestly I hope I never get a chance to test it!