Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2008, 09:10 PM   #1

I knew it was too good to be true. 250 Hibird carb ect.....

Well I was wondering when it would start to give me issues, guess today was the lucky day. It has been running so nice. Not a burp or stutter.

Tried to start it today, and had to use the choke for the first time :? , and work the throttle a little. Wont idle at all. Once it starts, it pops and sputters if you try to maintain a steady speed, but WOT is still great.

Any ideas where to start? I have about 30 miles on it maybe.

Also I have no clue as to the correct position of the fuel valve. I was going to pull the lines and see what happens from there, but I figured since I am mad and already frustrated I would probably rip them with no replacements on hand then I would really be mad. So I came in to post on here and cool down... :wink:

Old 03-28-2008, 09:50 PM   #2

for fuel on you want the long end of the petcock handle aiming directly at the ground, for reserve aim it directly at the sky. if you look closely you see an arrow on the long end of the handle thingy. aim that directly at ground for on or directly at sky for reserve .. horizontal would be off.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:08 PM   #3

:oops: Doh. Thanks...

Old 03-28-2008, 11:03 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Gimpdiggity
If you had no idea where to have the petcock, did putting it in the correct direction do anything?

If not, it's possible that your idle screws are turned in a bit too far. It will be a bit of a PITA to get them back out, but not TOO difficult.

Also, I wouldn't worry about having to use some choke to get it started...the choke is there because most engines are going to require it when the bike is cold. My Ninja 250 is perfectly tuned, and it needs choke to start EVERY time I start it if it hasn't been started yet that day.

If you were having issues starting it, from what it sounds like, you just flooded it.

When you use the choke, don't worry about working the throttle at all. Just turn the choke all the way on and turn it over a few times. Using the throttle while the choke is on is a great way to flood an engine really quickly.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:30 PM   #5

I had the fuel valve down, so that was right.

I know a little choke is normal, but until now I have not needed it, which is odd. Why now? This is the original tank of fuel, and I have not toched any settings or anything on this bike since I got it, except to raise the idle which should not affect anything other than idle speed, which had been fine after I raised it a little.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:37 PM   #6

Well, I've been doing a TON of research on these bikes...and I JUST found this out.

I read a post over on Thumper Talk where a guy was talking about the Hi-Birds. He said that in his experience selling and using them, almost all of them should have their carbs ripped apart and cleaned before you start to ride the bike.

He mentioned something along the line of the issues that you are having being somewhat common...that after about 20-50 miles the bike will start running bad at lower RPMs. He said it's because there's a bunch of junk in the carb that starts blocking the pilot jet...which causes the bike to run like garbage in the lower RPM range. He said that after he started to clean the carbs on them before having them ridden, he hasn't had nearly as many issues with the bike in general.

I'd link you to it, but I'll be damned if I can find the post again after I JUST had it up. I can't remember for the life of me what I searched for on ThumperTalk.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:43 PM   #7

It could actually be a case of a bunch of crud in the gas tank that makes its way into the carb. Make sure you have a fuel filter between the tank and carb!
2005 TANK Trail 200
2009 Lifan LY110GY-3 (2)

Old 03-28-2008, 11:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhyak
It could actually be a case of a bunch of crud in the gas tank that makes its way into the carb. Make sure you have a fuel filter between the tank and carb!
Yah, I was just thinking that too.

These things are effectively being "prepped" by the person who buys them. I saw a picture of one that some guy got and it was COVERED in dust. It was so dusty that it actually looked bad. I'm sure that a bike like that was FULL of dust in places that it really shouldn't have been.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:29 AM   #9

Started taking the covers off to get to the carb. There is a little filter inline that looks clean. I might replace it with a new one anyway. Any ideas on a good type of replacement. Will remove the tank and drain it too. when thats all off I guess I will pull apart and clean the brand new carb. :roll:

Kinda blows. I wanted to ride this weekend. :evil:

I will take pics if anyone is interested. Might go by Northerntool or Harbor freight and pick up the bike lift too since I wont be riding.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:03 AM   #10

fram makes a small inline...checkout powersports shop or lawnmower/powersaw dealer... or big azz auto parts store.

I took the tank off my 2 bikes and shook a few teaspoons of granular, black, poly shavings out before ever putting fuel in.
'08 Yongjiang 150cc atv (Jinlong)

Old 03-29-2008, 11:26 AM   #11

That sucks universal,Yes please take pics just incase this happens to others .I have around 42 miles on mine and so far so good.Maybe while you have it apart it would be a good thing to put new and better fule lines in as well.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kczukiman
Maybe while you have it apart it would be a good thing to put new and better fule lines in as well.
I was thinking the same thing. I am not really mad, I just was bummed cause it happened this weekend when I planned to go to the swamp to ride. Oh well. Its forcing me to not be my normal lazy self. I will try to take pics of what ever seems to be interesting. I want there to be more available info and pics on here about the Hi Birds.... :wink:

Old 03-29-2008, 11:58 AM   #13

It's definately starving for fuel. Pull the line off the carb and make sure it runs freely from the tank. If it does, you're probably gonna have to pull and disassemble and clean the carb. Easy job. First, locate the screw on the bottom of the float bowl. This screw opens a hole in the bottom of the carb and lets the bowl drain out. Drain the gas out for a bit and if your lucky, whatever is in there will come out. Worth a shot.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2021 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 HP!

Old 03-29-2008, 12:04 PM   #14

Not necessarily starving for fuel.

It could also be running pretty rich. The sputters could be caused by the engine being bogged down. The pops can also be caused by a super-rich mixture.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:43 PM   #15

If you buy another filter make sure you get a CLEAR one so you can
see fuel going through. It is also an easy way to see if you ran yourself
out of gas, or forgot to turn on the petcock, etc.
2005 TANK Trail 200
2009 Lifan LY110GY-3 (2)