Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2019, 05:56 PM   #1

Thumbs Up Hawk Wheel Bearings (complete)

I have completely replaced all of my wheel bearings along with new rear seals. I found conflicting, incomplete, or confusing information so I embarked on a deeper journey of my own. The following is the result.

I chose McMaster-Carr to supply my bearings. They are a trusted supplier to heavy industry.

Two Front 6301-2RS Bearings from McMaster-Carr for $20.58

Two Rear 6302-2RS Bearings from McMaster-Carr for $20.68

Playing the McMaster-Carr lottery I received "Designed in Germany but made in Korea" F.A.G. bearings. Props to McMaster-Carr for getting them here in 24 hours.

I did pack them with additional Maxima Waterproof grease.

One Rear 25x47x10 Seal from Amazon Prime for $6.49

One Rear 28x42x7 Seal from Amazon Prime for $5.99

UPDATE: The elusive, single front seal is a 23x37x7. I was not able to identify this seal before its removal so I had not purchased one. I ended up reusing my original, but they appear to be available online for less than $5.

To make the job easier, I also purchased the following bearing removal tool kit. This, combined with a couple large flat bladed screwdrivers, a big hammer, and some WD-40 got the job done.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004MAPN42?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Overall, I am extremely pleased with the results and the resulting peace of mind. A couple notes, the rear bearings are 15mm I.D. riding on a 14mm axle. Not ideal but you'll spend ALOT of cash and/or time trying to make this better, trust me, just bolt it all together and ride it. I did lightly coat my axle bolts in grease as well. You dont NEED the bearing tool, but it does make life easier. Riding on new well greased bearings has resulted in a slightly quieter and smoother bike with almost 1900 miles on it. I now trust my bike more for the long journeys. I also flipped my axle bolts so the nut is on the left (sprocket) side of the bike. In the event of catastrophic hub damage, the axle bolts can only get tighter (or break ).

Also, I got my dimensions for the rear seals from CSC. The brake rotor side seal is spec'd with a smaller I.D. than the OEM seal. It actually works better!
2018 Hawk - Nibbi PE30, Nibbi Intake, UNI Filter, Ebay Exhaust, NGK 4929 (non-Iridium), 428 D.I.D. X-Ring, 15/40 Sprockets, Walmart AGM Battery, IMS Shifter, Full LED Lighting, Digital Cluster, CSC Swingarm Pin, Modified Chain Adjusters, Upgraded Wheel Bearings

** MPH Cruise, ** MPG

Last edited by Baskt_Case; 10-06-2019 at 12:57 PM.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:23 PM   #2

Just pull them out n buy from bearing supplier

Old 10-01-2019, 09:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
Just pull them out n buy from bearing supplier
That's the plan now, then update the OP.

My Hawk is my only transportation and I was hoping I could order everything I needed with Amazon Prime and get it all done rather quickly. Now, my bike will be down for at least 2 days, due to logistics.
2018 Hawk - Nibbi PE30, Nibbi Intake, UNI Filter, Ebay Exhaust, NGK 4929 (non-Iridium), 428 D.I.D. X-Ring, 15/40 Sprockets, Walmart AGM Battery, IMS Shifter, Full LED Lighting, Digital Cluster, CSC Swingarm Pin, Modified Chain Adjusters, Upgraded Wheel Bearings

** MPH Cruise, ** MPG

Old 10-02-2019, 12:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baskt_Case View Post
That's the plan now, then update the OP.

My Hawk is my only transportation and I was hoping I could order everything I needed with Amazon Prime and get it all done rather quickly. Now, my bike will be down for at least 2 days, due to logistics.
please do an update, as the hawk is also my daily driver and i would like to attempt this as well.

Old 10-02-2019, 02:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audihuff View Post
please do an update, as the hawk is also my daily driver and i would like to attempt this as well.
Definitely. My goal is for my OP to be the fully encompassing end all for good on Hawk wheel bearings. Since it's my DD, I wont be tearing into this until Saturday morning, but its definitely happening.

** MPH Cruise, ** MPG

Old 10-02-2019, 02:32 PM   #6

Front = 2 bearings 1 seal, Rear = 2 rear bearings, 2 seals. TT250 rear seals work but the front and rear seals can also be sourced. I do not have the specs on hand, but a simple measure of I.D. and O.D. will allow you to easily search for them.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 10-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Front = 2 bearings 1 seal, Rear = 2 rear bearings, 2 seals. TT250 rear seals work but the front and rear seals can also be sourced. I do not have the specs on hand, but a simple measure of I.D. and O.D. will allow you to easily search for them.
Dan, is there no sprocket carrier bearing in the rear?

I appreciate you chiming in BTW, Thank You.

** MPH Cruise, ** MPG

Old 10-02-2019, 02:59 PM   #8

To be honest there's nothing wrong with the stock bearing. They just need to be grease while assembling. There is very little grease in them from the factory. If you don't pack them with grease they will not last long at all. Same thing would happen with a name brand bearing if not greased. Same goes for steering neck bearings.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Last edited by JerryHawk250; 10-03-2019 at 07:40 AM.

Old 10-02-2019, 04:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Dan, is there no sprocket carrier bearing in the rear?

I appreciate you chiming in BTW, Thank You.
Nope, sprocket bolts directly to hub.

Old 10-02-2019, 05:13 PM   #10

I've just bought bearings from McMaster Carr and rear seals from Amazon using the dimensions from CSC.

Does ANYONE have the dimensions of the FRONT seal?

** MPH Cruise, ** MPG

Old 10-03-2019, 12:42 AM   #11

Updated OP with parts ordered. Still need front seal size. Might pull wheel in the morning and try to read the numbers on it. I've tried with the wheel on the bike and I cant see them. And I dont have a micrometer or even a metric ruler here at the house.

** MPH Cruise, ** MPG

Old 10-03-2019, 06:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Updated OP with parts ordered. Still need front seal size. Might pull wheel in the morning and try to read the numbers on it. I've tried with the wheel on the bike and I cant see them. And I dont have a micrometer or even a metric ruler here at the house.
I bought a vernier caliper from Amazon for $20. I wouldn't trust it's accuracy to work on the space shuttle, but it sure has come in handy for working on the Hawk.
2011 Honda Foreman 500ES 4x4
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400

Old 10-03-2019, 11:53 AM   #13

basket....thanks for the updates! When a person has one mode of transportation, that is a problem. Thanks for contributing!!!1

I little experience here....i spent manyof my past lives in the autoparts biz, with my dad. I was somewhat of a bearing/seal expert, as could find just about anything. One of the bearing companies that we carried, cant remember the name, went to sourcing overseas, and their quality deteriorated. I converted our company to Chicago rawhide bearings and seals, as we dealt also in heavy duty, and the CR seals were way better in quality. Just my 3 cents....(sometimes in my old age, I might not have any cents or scents or...?)
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 10-03-2019, 12:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedooit View Post
One of the bearing companies that we carried, cant remember the name, went to sourcing overseas, and their quality deteriorated. )
Sounds like Timken. They were bought out by some investment firm/hedge fund company that basically bought the name shut down all US production and outsourced the bearings from the Eastern part of the world. Timken used to be my go-to bearings until that point.

Old 10-03-2019, 02:54 PM   #15

This seems like something that NZBrakes would have sitting around.

I’d like a plug and play bearings kit option for the Storm wheelset. I’ve ridden through the river waaay too many times for the bearings to not be suffering lol.
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,