Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2021, 06:03 PM   #1

Review of Digital Speedometer Cluster for RPS Hawk 250

I just finished installing and testing the Digital Speedometer Cluster from eBay found at this link (https://www.ebay.com/itm/334006025044). The speedometer cost $95 plus tax and $10 shipping from Iowa. The total cost was $111. It arrived about 1 week after I ordered it. I installed it on a 2017 Hawk 250.

The cluster includes that tachometer, speedometer, gear indicator, fuel level, mileage, and turn signals, neutral indicator, etc. It also came with a speed sensor that mounts on the front wheel identical to the mechanical sensor. The cluster and sensor where packed in bubble wrap and the clear parts of the display were covered with an adhesive film for protection. They arrived with no damage. It included a single instruction sheet, which was clearly written and easy to follow.

Installing the cluster and sensor was fairly easy. As mentioned above the sensor installs identically to the mechanical sensor, so it just involved removing the front wheel, removing the existing sensor and putting the wheel back on with the new sensor. The new sensor fit well with no problems.

The display/tachometer unit bolts to the motorcycle in exactly the same way as the original. The display housing appears to the be same as the original analog and fit on the bike with no problems. The connectors on the display unit fit into the existing 9 pin connector on the bike with no changes required. The new speed sensor is also connected to the display unit with a plastic connector.

Another set of wires is run from the display unit to the bike's connectors located just above and to the left of the battery. The instructions recommend removing the seat and gas tank to mate the new wires to the bike's existing connectors, and I found this to be good advice.

Five of the wires have a terminal spade that is used to connect to the gear indicator. These spades are inserted into a plastic, 6-pin connector that is originally not connected to anything. Each spade is simply pushed into an empty slot in the bike's plastic connector and clicks into place. The colors of each wire from the display unit match the color of the wire in a corresponding slot on the bike's connector, so it's just a matter of matching the wire colors, and pushing the terminal spade into the empty slot on the existing connector.

There is also a blue and white colored wire that is used for the tachometer in this wire harness. It has a terminal spade like the other wires and the instructions say to push it into the matching blue and white wire connector and use electrical tape to hold it in place. This method did not seem secure enough, so I used a car wire t-tap to connect the blue and white wires.

After putting the gas tank and seat back on, I turned on the power and the display went through a start-up sequence and the turned on. The display was surprisingly easy to read even though it was a sunny day. The first thing I noticed was that the speed was in KM/HR and the odometer was in KMs. To change this to MPH/miles, simply press and hold the button to the right of the display until the units change. After doing this, I turned the power off and back on and the units stayed at MPH/miles.

To test, I rode the bike around my house a couple of times. All of the information was shown with no problems.

Overall the cluster and speed sensor were easy to install and are a vast improvement over the stock, mechanical speedometer cluster. I recommend this product on the condition that you connect the tachometer signal wire more securely than suggested in the instructions.

Old 06-01-2021, 10:48 AM   #2

I installed the same cluster on my 2020 Hawk. As the instructions indicated I wedged the tach wire in place and it was a snug fit so I went with it.

My review of this cluster is that it is nicer than the stock gauge as it shows RPM and what gear I am in. (its easy to space out and leave it in 2nd at a stop light)

At the same time I installed the cluster I pulled the tank and installed the gas sensor I picked up from CSC (TT250) and my level is pretty solid now but not sure on the accuracy although the gas gauge is not very important to me. All I would need to do is bend the float to be more accurate. I spent way too much time on this issue when I first got the Hawk.

It is a little off on the speedometer as 38 mph = 35 mph as compared to GPS and Residential speed check sign. I am not sure if its because of the Shinko 244 tires I put on.
2019 QIYI Coolster 125cc Quad
2021 Roughhouse 50 (neat little scooter for the wife)
2022 QIYI Coolster 3150DX-4

I may not be fast but I am "Half-Fast"

Old 06-01-2021, 11:28 AM   #3

Do they allow for any speedometer calibrations? Like could I adjust it for 19" or 21" rim?
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 06-01-2021, 11:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTaoRider View Post
Do they allow for any speedometer calibrations? Like could I adjust it for 19" or 21" rim?
That's what i was thinking. My speedometer that i got from Matt could be switched from 21" to 19". Once i switched it to 19" it was dead on accurate. To change it on my speedometer I had to disconnect the memory wire, Hold the left button(I think that's the one.lol) and turn on the ignition until 21 started flashing. right button would change tire size. Turn off the ignition and reconnect the memory wire.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 06-01-2021, 02:58 PM   #5

That looks like the same one I got off Amazon from Zanella for $95. Just installed mine, actually posted a video showing the complete install and test ride (in abbreviated version). I found it to be off about 3mph vs my gps speedo. It's 3mph higher which is better than lower IMO.

I had no issues with the tach wire, it was a nice snug fit into the harness then I cable tied the wires, it's not going anywhere.

I can post the link to my video if anyone is interested but I didn't want to gratuitously promote myself here.

"Do Wheelies and Forget your Feelies"

"If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?" -unknown

Old 11-11-2021, 10:56 PM   #6

I know this post is kinda late but I just got a digital cluster installed (same one) and my speed shows 60 and gps says 55. Set for 21” wheel which is what’s on the bike, is there Any way to make this thing actually accurate?

Old 11-12-2021, 08:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparMadness View Post
I know this post is kinda late but I just got a digital cluster installed (same one) and my speed shows 60 and gps says 55. Set for 21” wheel which is what’s on the bike, is there Any way to make this thing actually accurate?
That's about the amount mine seems to be off as well 3 or 4 mph at 50. I left mine as is, but I did have someone tell me you could adjust the diameter in the settings, it would be trial and error to get it right where you want it. As I recall you need to hold the little button down for like 5 seconds. I'm going off memory though, and never did it myself. Perhaps someone here has a more definitive answer for you.

"Do Wheelies and Forget your Feelies"

"If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?" -unknown