Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2018, 10:13 PM   #1

Is the 600 mile oil change critical?

I'm a relatively new owner of a Lifan KP200 and I hit 600 miles a while back. I hear you are supposed to take the bike in for service after you hit 600 miles but I just haven't had the chance to take it in to the shop yet. I'm currently at 840 miles. Will it damage the bike if I continue to ride some before taking it in for service or should I be ok for a while? I plan on getting an oil change, oil filter chance, and chain adjustment this weekend. I have attached a picture of the sight glass when I hold my bike upright. I'm not sure how to judge it. Thanks in advance for advice!

https://imgur.com/wfq0iXC

Old 11-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #2

You will still be fine, might want to get it changed soon if you wanted to "comply with factory recommendations" and keep any possible warranty.

From the looks of the pic* you might want to add a little bit more oil if you need to keep riding for a few days, shouldn't take that much to get the oil closer to the middle of the L and H lines

* Can't tell if the bike is "leaning" in the pic, looks like you had it "up" properly for checking the oil level

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:26 AM   #3

The break-in(600 mile) oil change is very important, don't neglect doing it too much longer. You don't want all that break-in material running in the oil any longer than it has too.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:01 AM   #4

^^^
this

It's only a quart. Cheap insurance.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-12-2018, 10:26 PM   #5

I'm right at 600 miles now, on my 7th synthetic oil change. Installed a magnetic drain plug and that really pulled a lot of steel out. Oil is cheap in the long run. It's the parts and labor that add up.

Gonna try and beat Spuds record !
2018 Hawk P&P Decked .040 off the head. 17/43 D.I.D. 428, NGK Iridium plug, DeCat, Wrapped pipe, Custom S.S. Muffler core, Nibbi PE30 115/35, L.E.D. Lights, Digital Cluster, USB port, Cutting Bord skid plate, Oil cooler w/ custom CRF oil filter inline, 5Wt fork oil, Rear Shock, CNC Back Rack, 30mm FAT bars, Bark Busters, ProGrips, Adjustable levers, Shinko 700’s lots of Loctite!

Old 12-13-2018, 12:03 AM   #6

The first oil change is very important. Definitely get it done.

We are not just talking from a metallic particulate point of view, but also the condition of the oil itself. When an engine is new the rings do not seat very well, so there is more blow by than normal which introduces not only unburned fuel, but carbon and other gasses and compounds mix with the oil. This greatly reduces the lubricity of the oil as well as creating a higher acidity level of said oil and can accelerate engine wear.

Why not simply do the oil change yourself?
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124