Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2015, 12:57 AM   #1

Linda's Utility Trailer

I finished servicing a China quad for our dear friend Linda (check out http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=13347 ), so she needed a way to transport her new quad when we eventually go riding. She drives a 2014 Ford Escape, and she has a rather long single garage to store the Escape, the trailer and the quad in.

Upon measuring the quad, I figured that a 4x6 flat deck would do the trick, but after some discussions with Linda, it was determined that she could get more use out of a utility trailer with sides.

I had a bunch of free steel that would be suitable for the ladders of the trailer frame, as well as the spindles and railings, but I had nothing that would serve as the main frame rails. I bought two six-foot pieces of 2x4 steel rectangular tube at Metal Supermarket, and the criteria was that the tube was wide enough to accept the spring hangers and that the thickness matched the steel I had in stock (about 1/16"). It's much easier to weld similar thickness steel together.

This is the first mock-up of the springs, right after welding one end of the spring hangers on.

Springs.jpg

That helped me to determine where the other end of the spring hangers needed to be. You might be able to see where I plated the rectangular tube, so that the thickness would more closely match the thickness of the spring hangers.

These are shots of the fully welded hangers.

Spring Hangers.jpg

Spring Hangers 2.jpg

The spring location allows the axle to be at the 60% point of the trailer body, as viewed from the side, not including the tongue. Once that was established, I welded the ladders in. Coincidentally, the free rectangular tube I had in stock was exactly half the height of the frame rails I purchased. That allowed me to double the height of the rearmost ladder, to give it a more substantial surface for welding.

The next challenge was to have a tongue that could either be hinged or removed, to minimize the floor space it takes up in Linda's garage. After considerable thought, I decided to make it removable. I like to weld a heavy square tube from right above the axle all the way to the ball mount, and that creates a very sturdy tongue. Instead, I stopped the square tube at the head gate, where I welded a Class III receiver onto it, which allows the tongue to be inserted and pinned.

This shot shows the basic frame and axle, and it also shows the receiver on the front. I also welded a shorter receiver on top, which allows the tongue to be removed from the horizontal receiver and then be inserted into the vertical receiver for storage.

Primed Frame.jpg

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-05-2015, 01:03 AM   #2

I then boxed in the rear section of the frame with some square tube, so that I could create a strong area for the tailgate to pivot off of.

Boxed.jpg

Then I welded plates to the rear ladder, and that will be the attachment point for the hinges.

Plates.jpg

I then welded spindles onto the frame rails, which will eventually be finished with a perimeter railing and several tie-down points. Every time I work on the frame, I shoot it with some primer to prevent flash rusting. I never know when I'll have more time to work on it, and it's stored outside.

Spindles.jpg

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-05-2015, 01:06 AM   #3

In the last shot above, you can see the tongue inserted into the frame.

When I next get some time, I'll weld the railing on, and then I'll fabricate the tailgate. I'm also hoping to get the jack welded on the front, so it'll be easy for Linda to move it around. The idea is that she'll be able to store the quad in the trailer, and she'll be able to park behind it in the garage.

More to come...

Old 10-05-2015, 02:03 AM   #4

You do nice work.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-05-2015, 08:06 AM   #5

Are you welding the jack to the tongue ,or the front frame rail so the trailer could be moved while loaded with the tongue off in the garage easier ?

Old 10-05-2015, 09:36 AM   #6

Very nice work.

/

Old 10-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce's View Post
Are you welding the jack to the tongue ,or the front frame rail so the trailer could be moved while loaded with the tongue off in the garage easier ?
It'll be welded onto the front frame rail / headgate. I've already mocked it up, and there's just enough room to swing it out of the way without hitting the tongue. It looks a bit odd off-center like that, but it'll do.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
You do nice work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
Very nice work.
Thanks, guys. I want this to be perfect for Linda's needs. In addition to using the trailer for her quad, she also wants to be able to use it to haul whatever she pleases.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:22 AM   #9

I'd be grateful for some thoughts about capacity. I know that the weakest link determines what the trailer can haul, but I want to recommend a figure below that.

These are the numbers;

Axle - 2000lbs
Springs - 2500lbs as a pair
Tires - 1710lbs as a pair

The steel is quite thin, to keep the weight down, and to use the free steel I had on hand. The frame is plated with extra steel anywhere I had to weld a dissimilar thickness. I feel good about claiming a 1500lb capacity; what do you guys think?

Old 10-05-2015, 01:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I'd be grateful for some thoughts about capacity. I know that the weakest link determines what the trailer can haul, but I want to recommend a figure below that.

These are the numbers;

Axle - 2000lbs
Springs - 2500lbs as a pair
Tires - 1710lbs as a pair

The steel is quite thin, to keep the weight down, and to use the free steel I had on hand. The frame is plated with extra steel anywhere I had to weld a dissimilar thickness. I feel good about claiming a 1500lb capacity; what do you guys think?
I'm a Structural Draftsman at an Industrial Steel Fabrication shop, and I think you are Fine at the 1500 lb Capacity with your build.
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 10-05-2015, 05:59 PM   #11

I am just an idiot with some mechanical knowledge who once stayed at a Holiday Inn Express ,I agree 1500 lbs is good .

Old 10-05-2015, 06:22 PM   #12

I would haul 1500lbs on that.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:36 PM   #13

I agree; 1,500 pounds sounds good to me.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-06-2015, 12:43 AM   #14

That settles it. Thanks guys!

Old 10-06-2015, 11:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce's View Post
I am just an idiot with some mechanical knowledge who once stayed at a Holiday Inn Express ,I agree 1500 lbs is good .
I have similar qualifications.