Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2015, 12:59 PM   #1
Banned

"BEST" 250cc Chinese Bike

I'm searching for the consensus "BEST" 250cc dual sport Chinese bike that can actually travel down the highway at a sustained 65 to 70 mph. Affordability, low price, is also one of my criteria. It also has to be CARB legal. I'm not interested in luggage, crashbars, cruise control, WiFi, and other touring accessories. Low price, reliability, light weight, readily availability of parts and off road worthiness are very important. Feel free to offer up your favorite bike that meets my needs.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pismocycleguy View Post
I'm searching for the consensus "BEST" 250cc dual sport Chinese bike that can actually travel down the highway at a sustained 65 to 70 mph. Affordability, low price, is also one of my criteria. It also has to be CARB legal. I'm not interested in luggage, crashbars, cruise control, WiFi, and other touring accessories. Low price, reliability, light weight, readily availability of parts and off road worthiness are very important. Feel free to offer up your favorite bike that meets my needs.
I don't think that exists....yet

The Zongshen RX3 likely meets most of your wishes more than any other China bike...but are we calling that an Adventure bike, not a DS?

Quote:
can actually travel down the highway at a sustained 65 to 70 mph.
65 - 70 MPH from a 250cc will take some HP, like the RX3 produces w/ fuel injection. You are a tough customer, with your request for "BEST" and affordability and low price a criteria.

The only China Bike I am aware of that can reasonably claim sustained speeds of 65 - 70 MPH is the Zongshen RX3, and even then perhaps some would consider the bike a bit small for that duty....IDK never rode one. But sadly IMO, if you are looking for a dual sport bike that can reasonably sustain 65 - 70 MPH down the highway, you're at the wrong forum.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:53 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserchinarider View Post
I don't think that exists....yet

The Zongshen RX3 likely meets most of your wishes more than any other China bike...but are we calling that an Adventure bike, not a DS?

65 - 70 MPH from a 250cc will take some HP, like the RX3 produces w/ fuel injection. You are a tough customer, with your request for "BEST" and affordability and low price a criteria.

The only China Bike I am aware of that can reasonably claim sustained speeds of 65 - 70 MPH is the Zongshen RX3, and even then perhaps some would consider the bike a bit small for that duty....IDK never rode one. But sadly IMO, if you are looking for a dual sport bike that can reasonably sustain 65 - 70 MPH down the highway, you're at the wrong forum.
Maybe I'm just ahead of the importers? And the RX-3 has too much touring equipment for my use. I'm not going camping, I'm riding off road for fun.
Maybe you're correct and I should look at the non-Chinese bikes, i.e. Japan, Europe and India. And these sources are also bringing out 300cc singles and 250cc twin cylinder bikes. Might be worth waiting for?

Old 08-10-2015, 02:01 PM   #4

Quote:
I'm riding off road for fun.
For "riding off road for fun", the sub $1,500.00 229cc china bikes are a great bargain IMO. No better $/fun ratio. But they are NOT 65-70 MPH highway capable bikes. Perhaps 50 MPH all day long, with shorter limited lengths at slightly higher speeds.

Quote:
Might be worth waiting for?
You might have a long wait A bike that meets all your requirements, including low price is a tough one. Unless $3,000.00 - 5,000.00 is your low.

Quote:
It also has to be CARB legal.
This dream takes place in California?

Kidding aside, I think I'm looking for the same bike as you are....haven't found it yet.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:49 PM   #5

Not sure about CARB legal

I have no idea what CARB legal is but my Ronco Demolition ticks most of the boxes. Last year I covered 8800 kms (5500 miles) mostly on tarmac with it on its original dirt tyres (worn them out mind you!). On the tar I "cruised" at 100 kph, 62.5 mph, most of the time, but did some straight stretches at 120 kph (75 mph) with no problems (other than higher fuel consumption!), and had some revs in reserve (was running at around 7k, and redline at 10k), but wind resistance and noise kept me (almost) legal. The dirt tyres caused most of that noise, and some vibration through the bars, too.
This year I put Pirelli MT60's on and it made a huge difference to riding comfort, and much more confidence round the twisty bits - but at the cost of reduced traction off-road.
Not sure if it is marketed in your part of the world, but it is a serious contender.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:10 PM   #6

What you need is a 1988-1989 Honda NX250.....can be picked up for about what a new China 250 runs, and is a water cooled 250 single, and will do what you want.....I still miss mine....but parts are getting harder to find, as are bikes in good condition, but they are out there...(I believe this motor is what Zong based the RX-3 motor on)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My-NX250.jpg (94.4 KB, 335 views)
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 08-10-2015, 03:10 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carangajeira View Post
I have no idea what CARB legal is but my Ronco Demolition ticks most of the boxes. Last year I covered 8800 kms (5500 miles) mostly on tarmac with it on its original dirt tyres (worn them out mind you!). On the tar I "cruised" at 100 kph, 62.5 mph, most of the time, but did some straight stretches at 120 kph (75 mph) with no problems (other than higher fuel consumption!), and had some revs in reserve (was running at around 7k, and redline at 10k), but wind resistance and noise kept me (almost) legal. The dirt tyres caused most of that noise, and some vibration through the bars, too.
This year I put Pirelli MT60's on and it made a huge difference to riding comfort, and much more confidence round the twisty bits - but at the cost of reduced traction off-road.
Not sure if it is marketed in your part of the world, but it is a serious contender.
Thanks for the informative suggestion.
CARB is a set of rules in California that is suppose to make vehicles, car, trucks, bikes, etc, less polluting. It is a lot more restrictive than just about any place in the world. So vehicles have to be specially tuned, or outfitted with additional pollution control devices to meet the restrictive exhaust gas emission levels. This really restricts the variety of vehicles available for purchase. Less choices.
Regarding the Ronco Demolition, what is the country of manufacture? In what country do you reside? Do you have dealers in your city, or do you purchase via Internet?

Old 08-10-2015, 03:15 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck369 View Post
What you need is a 1988-1989 Honda NX250.....can be picked up for about what a new China 250 runs, and is a water cooled 250 single, and will do what you want.....I still miss mine....but parts are getting harder to find, as are bikes in good condition, but they are out there...(I believe this motor is what Zong based the RX-3 motor on)
Huck 369,
Great bike. I'd forgotten all about this model and the NX650. I think they were ahead of their time, which caused the short run of availability.
I'll see what's available in my area.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Regarding the Ronco Demolition, what is the country of manufacture? In what country do you reside? Do you have dealers in your city, or do you purchase via Internet?
It is Chinese - they ship them in part assembled and the local dealers put them together. Quite a few of the Chinese bikes here look pretty much the same, with just the badging different - I thought I spotted mine recently and it was a Ssenda 250 GY4.
I am currently in Peru, and yes, I bought from the local dealer. Cost me (last February) the equivalent of US$1500, so a little under £1000 - exchange rates a lot better this year so effectively cheaper still!

Old 08-11-2015, 01:33 PM   #10

My Xf250 is CARB approved which was key when I was bike shopping in CA in 2014.

Although it meets most of your criteria it may not check the "low price" box at $2999. If the CSC cyclone was available at the time I would have considered one for an additional $600.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck369 View Post
What you need is a 1988-1989 Honda NX250.....can be picked up for about what a new China 250 runs, and is a water cooled 250 single, and will do what you want.....I still miss mine....but parts are getting harder to find...
engine: Shineray still making the exact clone.
others: taobao.com had many compatibles if search AX-1 (the JDM version)

Old 08-11-2015, 05:53 PM   #12
Banned

Can you supply more information?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh View Post
My Xf250 is CARB approved which was key when I was bike shopping in CA in 2014.
dh,
Where can I find pictures and specs on the Xf250? Does it have a model name?
What is the Chinese manufacturers name? Sound like it might be what I'm looking for in a Chinese motorcycle?
Thanks for the information.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:56 PM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
others: taobao.com had many compatibles if search AX-1, the JDM model
humanbeing,
Can you help me locate the website for this more information on these bikes?
Thanks

Old 08-12-2015, 01:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
others: taobao.com had many compatibles if search AX-1 (the JDM version)
I had no idea! That's another good source for XR250 parts. I expect that the cams and head are the same.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-12-2015, 08:28 PM   #15

http://www.ssrmotorsports.com/store/enduro/xf250.php

SSR imports this bike, also called a Sinnis or Pulse Adrenaline in the UK where it is pretty popular.

like a dummy I passed up a running NX650 for $900 a few years back.