Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #1

X31 valve adjustment? Chain replaced...

I have looked everywhere, and cannot seem to find the correct gap to adjust the lash on the valves. Anyone know?

Also... as per usual with Chinese offroad products, the chain constantly stretches, to the point where it is at the end of the adjustment range, and is loose again. I just replaced it with a quality one I picked up at my local Yamaha dealer, was like $22. It's not the $100 one they tried to sell me with o-rings, but it sure is a lot better than the original. Can't remember the number, 428? It is stamped on the links on the side of the orginal chain. Had to remove a number of links to get the correct length, but expected that...

Old 07-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #2

Re: X31 valve adjustment? Chain replaced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterVS
I have looked everywhere, and cannot seem to find the correct gap to adjust the lash on the valves. Anyone know?

Also... as per usual with Chinese offroad products, the chain constantly stretches, to the point where it is at the end of the adjustment range, and is loose again. I just replaced it with a quality one I picked up at my local Yamaha dealer, was like $22. It's not the $100 one they tried to sell me with o-rings, but it sure is a lot better than the original. Can't remember the number, 428? It is stamped on the links on the side of the orginal chain. Had to remove a number of links to get the correct length, but expected that...
428 is the Chinese usual. I don't know the valve numbers for your machine but someone will.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:59 PM   #3

Im in the process of doing a valve adjustment myself, I'l let you know in a few days.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:09 PM   #4

Looking for intake and exhaust valve clearance numbers as well for my girlfriends x31 2010.

Please someone help us out here!

Old 08-22-2010, 01:18 AM   #5

Are these motors not direct Honda 250cc air cooled knockoffs from the year 86-94? I thought I read that somewhere, even amongst this forum.

If you do a search for valve clearances you may find the post, but I *think* you'd be okay searching that information in google with Honda as your motor style and those specs should translate reasonably well to this motor.

I doubt you'll find this spec as a specific lifan or zongshen related seach online.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Are these motors not direct Honda 250cc air cooled knockoffs from the year 86-94? I thought I read that somewhere, even amongst this forum.

If you do a search for valve clearances you may find the post, but I *think* you'd be okay searching that information in google with Honda as your motor style and those specs should translate reasonably well to this motor.

I doubt you'll find this spec as a specific lifan or zongshen related seach online.
Ad for the bike says "CB250, air-cooled, four-stroke engine", which sounds to me like a Honda number. Will do some searching.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:17 PM   #7

Foster,

I saw this engine on thursday at the honda dealership. It is almost 100% identical in shapes, proportions etc.

It is an overhead cam engine with the exact same chain tensioner cover, position of the tensionar, cylinder head is identical with the cam chain access cover the same.
Lower engine has the same case with chain cover, and the head also has the exact same valve clearence checking covers on the front and back of the head.

It's the same engine, it was in a 250 supermoto...
I checked the honda canada website and it does not show the bike on there, they do have a crf230m that is similar but it is not the same engine.

I'll have to go back there for some plugs sooner rather than later, but when I do I'll take a picture of it for all to see, I'll grab the exact model number as well.