Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #1

Teaser....

I will have BIG NEWS to report here soon..... I just closed a deal..... :P

Old 02-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #2

wait what ? catch me up here, do you still have the dirt bike you fixed up ?

what brought about the new kiwi ?

Old 02-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #3

I will be keeping The Dirt Rat. I love that bike 8) . The KLX will be an upgrade for Q. I think I have a buyer for Q but if anyone is interested let me know soon. :P

I wanted more power and suspension than Q could offer, and something capable of highway speeds for commuting. Barnone scientifically proved that there is not much more or any power to be had from Q without major modifications. I thought a bigger more advanced engine in a new bike was the best route to take.

I also wanted something for light adventure touring to ride with my buddy and his KLR in the wilds or WA, OR, and ID.

This bike will replace Q and maybe my XS400.

The KLX will hit 90, cruise 70+, is lighter than Q, and 50% more powerful. I arranged a deal with my friend Andy for a dealership in Moses Lake, WA. We will be getting two for $4,300 OTD each. Tough to beat. Kawasaki had a $750 rebate on the bike! How could I not buy one?

Old 02-01-2011, 06:11 PM   #4

nice, is it fi or carbed ?

got any mods in mind or just going to leave it alone ?

Old 02-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #5

Thats the only semi-downside, no FI but it does have an electronic throttle position sensor to aid mixture/spark decisions for the computer.

I'll likely leave it stock, that's really my style, I rarely significantly modify new machines. Down the road I understand the KLX's benefit from richer jetting and a pipe. There is some good dyno evidence online to support those changes.

I will probably get a 1 tooth larger countershaft sprocket for 'extended' highway use or commuting, and install the smaller stock one for off road work.

When a larger tank is available I will consider that too. Maybe a luggage rack as my first 'mod'.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:26 PM   #6

Grats!

Excellent choice! Beautiful bike . Good price too! My closest dealer has a 2009 left over for $4500 but then you'd have to add in tax, freight, and PDI so I'm guessing it would be 5K and change OTD. Really nice bikes, love the digital dash on em. Again, congratulations on the new ride. Can't go wrong

Cheers,
Stew

Old 02-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #7

Thank you.

By retaining the Lifan powered Dirt Rat even if I sell Q I figure it would still be OK for me to continue to hang around here. :wink:

Old 02-02-2011, 10:49 PM   #8

I'll really be looking forward to some riding impressions when you get the KLX. I'm wondering how it compares to the Q and the KLR's.

Cheers,
Stew

Old 02-02-2011, 11:52 PM   #9

I have quite a few rides on my friend's 2006 KLX250S. The new model (2009 and newer) is much improved. With that in mind Andy's bike is quite a step up from the mighty Q. It weighs the same as Q, and has more than 75% more power (about 20.5 vs 12 at the rear wheel). Where Q runs out of breath over about 7,000 the KLX starts to rip to about 11,000. Redline IIRC is 11,500.

The six speed tranny is nice, and his bike will easily do 75+ with me on it. His was a bit buzzy, and the carburation was a tad glitchy, but these issues were addressed with the newer model.

On road handling was similar to Q, although the KLX is much taller with about 1/3 more travel. You notice that on the street.

Off road it's apples and oranges. The KLX will eat Q's lunch.

With that said Q remains, and will always be, an awesome trail bike, and one of the best values in motorcycling 8) . It will do pretty much anything the KLX will do, but it would just take longer. The one thing Q can't do would be short rides on the interstate. With a top cruising speed of 60-65, much less in the wind or on a hill or if not tucked, it is NOT fast enough for the 75 MPH speed limits in this area.

I love Q, but it wetted my appetite for the same sort of deal but with more performance.

The KLR, my buddy has an '09, and I had two of the prior generation, is a great bike too. An EXPERT rider (not me :roll: ) could take it on most trails the KLX could go on but for an average rider it is too much of a handful.

I rode it on the street, highway, sand washes, single track, and dirt and gravel roads and found it to be much more capable off road than a person would think, but if it fell it would fall mightily, and expensively, and be a b%$#h to pick up.

On the road it excels. It would be a perfect 80/20 on/off road bike, where the off road way dirt roads and gravel and good singletrack. If a Subaru could go there, the Killer would be fine. If it takes a Jeep to drive there, an expert better be on the Killer.

JMHO, YMMV. 8)

Old 02-03-2011, 12:59 AM   #10

Congratulations, Brother Bill! What color did you choose? Of course, we expect numerous photographs!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-03-2011, 11:48 AM   #11

Red, as pictured.

The bike is not at the dealership yet, it is expected sometime this week or next. The weather has been plenty nice so I'll have a friend drive me to the dealership and ride it the 75 miles or so home.

The way my schedule is looking I think it will be next Wednesday or a week from this Saturday.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #12

that sounds like a pretty good bike. i recently passed on a 650klx i deliberated for several days before i decided the zong would be good for another year since it is paid off there is no cost other than gas and oil.

next year may bring new changes you cant ever tell.

sorry for making this post 95% about me.

again congratulations

Old 02-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #13

A paid for Zong is a wonderful thing. Like I said my Q really is good enough for almost everything I need, I'm just spoiled and want more.

ALSO, my divorce is FINALLY final, and I needed some therapy....

Old 02-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
A paid for Zong is a wonderful thing. Like I said my Q really is good enough for almost everything I need, I'm just spoiled and want more.

ALSO, my divorce is FINALLY final, and I needed some therapy....
The KLX will be a most excellent therapist 8). I equate my divorce to a root canal... That lasted 2.5 years!! Congrats on the finalization papers, it's very nice to not get those lawyers bill's every month

Cheers,
Stew

Old 02-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #15

With what I don't pay the lawyer I'll have paid off the KLX in a very short time indeed. Mine was also 2 1/2 years... I'm OK though. God is good.