Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2019, 09:55 AM   #1

New Clutch time, Heavy duty maybe?

I'm thinking it's getting about time to replace the clutch on my hawk. After all the upgrades, the clutch can't handle the power of the engine anymore without slipping. Although me dropping the clutch alot and wheelieing definitely accelerated it dieing.

The clutch still works, but it is very weak to grab. At full engine power there's definitely quite a bit of power loss. On road at full throttle it slips aswell as during engagement. I have another hardly used engine i might take clutch plates out of and maybe use its basket if my hawks basket is notched. But i definitely want to order a set of heavy duty clutch springs.

I'm gonna either reuse hub and basket or take the basket and hub out of a spare engine. Would ordering plates be worth it, ie better than stock? I want something that is able to catch and hold immedately. I probably just burnt the plates out.

If I did order aftermarket clutch, what model bike would i choose that would work? like a 1989 xr250r?
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...duty-springs-p

Old 05-06-2019, 12:13 PM   #2

To this date nobody has actually gotten to this point, but many have asked. Until somebody measures the plates and springs and/or matches them up to something, there is no frame of reference to work with. It is very likely the springs and plates/discs are the same spec as a few Hondas out there, but nobody knows which ones. If you do take the clutch apart you could easily contact EBC or Barnett, and with a few measurements they could easily match them up with something.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-06-2019, 01:08 PM   #3

Take what i'm going to say with a grain of salt, because even if they fit in our Chinese CGs they may not fit with the CGs they send to the US... You know chinese sometimes like to change specs without telling anyone about it....
BUT
The springs, clutch plates should be the same as the ones used in the Honda CRF 150F.
EBC sells a kit part # DRC181 that should fit the Hawk 250. See if you can find a local store that has them in stock to compare them with the parts you have now.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashka View Post
I'm thinking it's getting about time to replace the clutch on my hawk. After all the upgrades, the clutch can't handle the power of the engine anymore without slipping. Although me dropping the clutch alot and wheelieing definitely accelerated it dieing.

The clutch still works, but it is very weak to grab. At full engine power there's definitely quite a bit of power loss. On road at full throttle it slips aswell as during engagement. I have another hardly used engine i might take clutch plates out of and maybe use its basket if my hawks basket is notched. But i definitely want to order a set of heavy duty clutch springs.

I'm gonna either reuse hub and basket or take the basket and hub out of a spare engine. Would ordering plates be worth it, ie better than stock? I want something that is able to catch and hold immedately. I probably just burnt the plates out.

If I did order aftermarket clutch, what model bike would i choose that would work? like a 1989 xr250r?
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...duty-springs-p
This is too late for you, but might help other folks. Chinese cable housings are not wound as tight as American/English/German/Japanese/Italian/Spanish cables are. Because the cable housing compresses more, you don't get the full throw out at the clutch. There are at least three ways to attack this problem. One way is to just buy a better cable. Anothr way is to slightly shorten the clutch arm on the right side engine/transmission housing. Another way is to get a clutch lever assembly with more throw....ARH