Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2018, 10:04 PM   #1

Doh! Fork squawking

When sitting on the bike, rolling backwards etc you can hear a bit of a rub/squawk/knock noise from the front shocks. You can feel it a little in the bars as well. Makes me feel like a little grease on the silver portion that slides up into the gold would help? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:36 PM   #2

i would take it all part an greace the crap out of it ,they dont put much greace on things from china after those 16 hour days an replace the fork oil ,you should have 2 to 4 bearings in your steering post,not sure wich bike you have but the sway bar bushings need greace too ,as well as the wheel bearings ,get a couple pounds of it

Old 06-26-2018, 05:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipToothy View Post

Makes me feel like a little grease on the silver portion that slides up into the gold would help? Thanks in advance.

Never never never never etc.... you get the idea...
put grease on the fork sliders.... dirt / grit / dust
will stick to them and become like grinding paste
it will migrate past the dust covers/ wiper seals
and end up going though the fork oil seals...
And it won't do the internal fork bushings any good either...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 06-26-2018, 06:00 AM   #4

What Pete said x2. Plus, how do we know its the forks? If the forks squeak going backwards, they should do it sitting still or going forward, basically any fork movement. I would suspect something else is at play. Get the front wheel off the ground and spin it slowly in the direction of reverse and see if you can recreate it.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-26-2018, 12:42 PM   #5

there all ideas for the safety i longevity of your bike an what i said ,do we just got a case of lets repeat what the other guy said on this forum,if you dont have the skills to take the forks apart an do what i said find someone who can do it guess we all seem to know it all hear right ,or not

Old 06-26-2018, 02:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk 229cc View Post
there all ideas for the safety i longevity of your bike an what i said ,do we just got a case of lets repeat what the other guy said on this forum,if you dont have the skills to take the forks apart an do what i said find someone who can do it guess we all seem to know it all hear right ,or not
yep, there is a definite case of the echo chamber in here. Some of us are much more well spoken than others and can get the point across in a more sensible or organized fashion than others.

Old 06-26-2018, 02:24 PM   #7

I would say the front brake is making the noise.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivi View Post
I would say the front brake is making the noise.
yep high pitched squeak is coming off the rotor! lets take the engine apart just to make sure.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 06-26-2018, 04:20 PM   #9

I need to drink 12 more beers & read this Thread all over again! LOL

Old 06-26-2018, 05:33 PM   #10

It could be a number of things.
1. Does is make this noise if you rock it back and forth when you have the front brake applied ? if so could be lose brake caliper and/or steering column. I've had a bolt loosen on the brake caliper that made a similar noises.
2. If it turns out to be the brakes making the noise you can clean the rotor and pads with a brake cleaner. You may still have film of the shipping corrosion protection oil on them. or what ever they use.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 06-26-2018, 05:36 PM   #11

You Can't....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipToothy View Post
When sitting on the bike, rolling backwards etc you can hear a bit of a rub/squawk/knock noise from the front shocks. You can feel it a little in the bars as well. Makes me feel like a little grease on the silver portion that slides up into the gold would help? Thanks in advance.
..be Serious. Grease plus dust and/or mud makes a very crude but very effective grinding paste. I would start by taking the brake pads out of the front caliper and really scrubbing them with brake cleaner. Then check them for straightness with a straight edge. If they have a hump or hollow, sand them level on a bench top or table top that is level. Make sure the rotor is clean, spotlessly clean with brake cleaner. Before you put it back to gether try it again before installing the pads and see if the noise is gone. If the clicking is still there adjust the stem bearings. Megadan just put up a video on steering head bearings. It shows the steering head adjuster nut, and the lock nut. ARH..

Old 06-26-2018, 06:08 PM   #12

I'm just curious if it is a point of concern is all.

It does it just sitting on the bike, you can't hear it with the engine running. Brake is irrelevant and there is no high pitched squealing. Sitting on the bike walking it backwards across my crap driveway to park is where it's most annoying. A very short and dull squawk noise like rubbing your thumb on a dish to feel if it's clean is the best I can describe the noise. At the very top of the shocks un-compression there is the knock that can always be felt in the bars. Rolling over terrain or stationary is the same knock feel. It's the exact opposite of the rear shock, it clunks at the bottom and squawks when you get off the bike.

Is there anything we can do to the rear stock shock to improve performance? That thing is a joke

Old 06-26-2018, 06:47 PM   #13

Id worry about the steering head, "there is a set of holes in the side of the steering head big enough to squirt in some oil". for a temporary solution. Id recomend taking that apart and adding some marine grease, mine was dry as a bone when I got my bike.

If it is the forks maybey they forgot to put in the fryer oil at the factory? Dry stuff will chirp for sure. it's the death moan.

I wonder now if those holes were for a info plate of some kind, Hmm weird. Use a bendy straw spray lube and you could hit the top bearing too.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:08 PM   #14

Sounds to me like it may be low on fork oil enough that the fork seal is dry rubbing. Did you check/change the fork oil during assembly?

Old 06-26-2018, 11:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
..be Serious. Grease plus dust and/or mud makes a very crude but very effective grinding paste. I would start by taking the brake pads out of the front caliper and really scrubbing them with brake cleaner. Then check them for straightness with a straight edge. If they have a hump or hollow, sand them level on a bench top or table top that is level. Make sure the rotor is clean, spotlessly clean with brake cleaner. Before you put it back to gether try it again before installing the pads and see if the noise is gone. If the clicking is still there adjust the stem bearings. Megadan just put up a video on steering head bearings. It shows the steering head adjuster nut, and the lock nut. ARH..
Wait... Is that what Brake cleaner is for? I thought it was for killing bees.